Waterlodge Too questions

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Po'boy

Waterlodge Too questions

Post by Po'boy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:07 pm

By the end of the week I hope to have my plans here at the hacienda. These questions may seem a bit premature as I haven't seen the plans yet but I must admit, I'm anxious to get started.
1) I realize that the HP requirements are small for this boat. What I has in mind was perhaps a small2.3 or 3.0 merc with a mercruiser outdrive. Our old drifter houseboat had an outboard and neither my wife or I want to hear an outboard while we slowly cruise some of the rivers and lakes in our area. I was hoping the inboard would be less noise and hopefully less vibration. The visual aspect of not having it back there is also appealing to me. I have no experience with these types of engines except to say that I read they are easy to work on and fairly inexpensive to maintain. I've also found a few donor boats on CL with the motor an OD for under $500 in the Atlanta area. Feel free to tell me if I'm nuts and an outboard would be the way to go. Like I said, we plan on some river trips and I can't see where we would be traveling to quickly at all. We just want to cruise slow, take in the sights and have the least engine noise while doing it.
2) Since it's a flat bottom box of sorts, is stretching it to 28' a stretch (pun intended)?
Thanks for any input. I fabricate with aluminum all day but my experience in wood is limited.

hoodman

Re: Waterlodge Too questions

Post by hoodman » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:56 pm

Really I think you'd be best with a modern 4 stroke outboard. I had a 25 hp four stroke merc on my jon boat. Even at full throttle and the wind in our faces, I could have a conversation with the person next to me. At idle or part throttle it just hummed along. I think you'll get a lot more out of a tank of fuel with an outboard in the range called for vs. the I/O you mention. With the I/O you would have to modify the hull from the plans significantly since the plans just call for a box mounted on the back to hold the outboard.

Good luck with your build. This is a design I'd kinda like to build myself.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Po'boy

Post by Po'boy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:16 pm

Thanks for the info. The outboard on our Drifter was an 80's OMC 135 2 stroke and it was noisy (and temprimental). We were kind of looking to avoid that but it's been awhile since we've been on the water so I'm not really up on newer 4 stroke outboards. I have a bit to go before that point but I was wanting to get some feedback on the engine. Hopefully some of you outboard guys will help me out with some more info--Thanks

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:14 pm

A newer 4 stroke will be a totally different world than that old OMC.
Matt

Locutus

Post by Locutus » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:11 am

Reply deleted by Locutus.
Last edited by Locutus on Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

Po'boy

Post by Po'boy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:43 pm

I think I'll go with the 4 Stroke outboard. Reading on here and some advice from friends helped out a lot. The specs call for up to a 70 hp and I've seen some used 60 hp's on CL for decent prices made by Honda. Maybe if I keep my eyes open, I can find a relatively new one in the 40 hp range that would serve as well. I doubt I'll ever have to open it up except in an emergency situation or a sticky docking scenario. As long as we can putt along at 7-9 knots (maybe less at times), we'll be happy campers.
On a side note, I received my plans today and after a few honey-do's this afternoon, I'll be making my first lumber yard list for a run this weekend. I've got 2 spots picked out to build it. The more level of the 2 will be the harder one to move it from but not impossible. It will also be easier to build as access to the basement and tools will be closer. I plan on documenting the build with pics so I'll start a new thread at that time. THIS ONE WILL BE BUILT!!!

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:01 pm

Po'Boy

Yamaha 4 strokes are highly rated and priced. Suzuki is getting good reviews on our Gulf Coast and are better priced. There seems to be a problem with Hondas lower end in saltwater.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Po'boy

Post by Po'boy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:52 pm

Thanks Bill. I've heard good reviews on those as well. The fella who did the Shanty Boat Beagle videos used that engine on a modified Catamaran Cruiser and at 5-7 knots down hill, was getting 13 mpg. Not too shabby. We won't be in salt water too much except if I bring it down to Tampa and do some IC cruising for a week at the most.. In N. Ga., it's mostly lakes, the Tenn. River and we plan on a trip, at some point, from Michigan to Mobile. That's the main reason for the build.

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:40 pm

:D Are you going to build cabin Like Glen-L's or the reconstructed chicken coop one on shantyboat videos? :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Po'boy

Post by Po'boy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:55 am

chugalug wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:40 pm
:D Are you going to build cabin Like Glen-L's or the reconstructed chicken coop one on shantyboat videos? :D
Definitely closer to Glen-L's. The chicken coop version has it's attributes but really won't fit my style. At my age, I'm built a little more for comfort. After much back and forth, I've revised my plans-maybe to the dismay of some others. I'll be lengthening it to 28', putting a slightly taller and more rounded top on, increasing the front deck to 8'X 8', the cabin size to 16' or 17 ' and and using a 3.0 mercruiser and outdrive from a donor boat. The transom won't be raked as in the plans but will have a more traditional squared off profile. Putting more hull in the water at the rear will provide additional buoyancy for the engine, outdrive and slightly rear set cabin. I'm still in the planning stages but working on details and calculations everyday.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:59 pm

I like your idea of a regular 12 degree transom instead of what's called for in the plans. Even with an outboard you could just build a regular motorwell instead of the box that's attached afterward in the design.
Matt

Po'boy

Post by Po'boy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:13 pm

The original does fit the barge style profile but to me and for my purposes it seems like a waste of what could be usable space.

Po'boy

Post by Po'boy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:48 pm

After almost a 1 month automotive nightmare spread between 3 vehicles and costing several thousand of my Waterlodge Too funds coupled with my wife's ongoing medical situation, I'm aiming to be back on track (hopefully) by starting the building form this weekend. I understand this is may be trivial but to me, it's the first part of what will more than likely be a long journey fraught with frustrations as well as jubilation's. I'll try to take pics but seeing as it will be mostly a 1 1/2 person affair, they might be fewer than I would like but I'll do what I can.

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:00 pm

One problem I see with the I/O is if you have problems and have to take it to the shop, you would have to take it all ,instead of an outboard.I had an old boat years ago and had to have all the gears replaced in lower unit and top gears.Was quite a chunk of change with labor and all.If I had just the outboard,I could have just taken that in.Wouldn't have to worry about the 5 finger discount if left on the marina lot. :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Po'boy

Post by Po'boy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:24 pm

I've given that some thought. The outdrive will go to a reputable shop and be rebuilt. I have 2 friends that are mechanics. 1 works for the Postal service on mail carrier trucks and is familiar with the 3.0 engine and another is a diesel mechanic for MARTA. Both are willing to tag team the donor motor and make sure it's in top shape. The only problem will be if something happens on our trip from Michigan to Mobile but while it's here, in Ga.,it will be on a trailer so transporting it won't be an issue should a problem arise.

Return to “Power Boats”