using fillets to protect joints

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Goodell

using fillets to protect joints

Post by Goodell » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:33 pm

Hi All,

I have a sort of nuanced question:

I am building a Hunky Dory and keeping to the tradition of glassing the outside and oiling the inside. I will glue wood connections with epoxy, but wondering if applying a small bead of epoxy fillet using a reusable chalk gun, on the edges of joints and along seams on the inside would help protect the framing and glued joints from water intrusion. What I had in mind was the seams of the gussets (around their perimeter), and where frames connect to side plywood, where the frames connect to stringers etc and so forth. BY protecting these glued joint seams with a small bead of epoxy fillet, one would, in theory, prevent water getting into awkward areas that may be prone to rot, while not encapusulating the wood - since the bead is so small. If the bead is laid down on new wood, then the surrounding bare wood is oiled....Im curious how some of you think it would perform? Would moisture get under the fillets and then rot more?
Last edited by Goodell on Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BayouBengal

Re: using fillets to protect joints

Post by BayouBengal » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:42 pm

I'd use 3M 5200 or 4200 instead of an epoxy fillet.

kens

Post by kens » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:44 pm

a epoxy fillet would make it easier to clean, look neater,
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:34 pm

I do it. When encapsulating the interior I let a small amount of epoxy flow to where water would collect along the keel and battens. I wouldn’t go so far as to call it a fillet, more of a well encapsulated joint.
Matt B

billy c

Post by billy c » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:34 am

“Hi All,

I have a sort of nuanced question:

I am building a Hunky Dory and keeping to the tradition of glassing the outside and oiling the inside.”

—-I’m not used to seeing that treatment. Most builders epoxy encapsulated their boat to protect moisture intrusion. Sheathing one side of older boats might give them a few extra years, but eventually means the end. I would either paint the hull and oil the inside or encapsulate everything. Moisture trapped between the finish will never be good.
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Return to “Power Boats”