Somerset, KY Gentry

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

CarlM

Somerset, KY Gentry

Post by CarlM » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:48 pm

I officially started the build last Saturday. I work on the road so i will only be able to work on her on weekends and vacation. This could be a long drawn out process. On the plus side I do get 8 weeks of vacation a year.

I was able to get all the frames teaced out on some 1/4" ply. I then got them all cut out and ready to be used as router templates. I have already purchased all the African mahogany ( Khaya ). It is all rough cut so i will spend this coming weekend milling it and hopefully getting started on routing out all the parts.

While I have done a lot of woodworking in the past this is the first time I have built from a plan. At first I found this a little daunting but the more I stare at them the more I understand. I have a lot of free time through the week while I'm on the road. This gives me ample time to study them and reread those specific chapters in Bost Building with Plywood.

Thank you all in advance for your comments, questions,answers and encouragement.

Carl
Attachments
20190302_204800.jpg
20190302_135448.jpg

BayouBengal

Re: Somerset, KY Gentry

Post by BayouBengal » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:18 pm

Congratulations on the start!!! :D

You're off and running. Looking forward to following your progress.

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:31 pm

Welcome! Ask any and all questions you may have, and keep posting photos of your project. Well done so far, keep up the good work and wow, that's a nice shop you have.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Po'boy

Post by Po'boy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:41 pm

Glad to hear you're getting started. My plan was do the same but circumstances have put a temporary halt on me so post up a lot, I may have to live vicariously through other builds for a month or so.

HubbTX06

Post by HubbTX06 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:28 pm

So glad to see another build started. I have been slow rolling a Mahalini for about three years now. There is some real talent and tons of information on the forum. Enjoy your build.

kens

Post by kens » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:57 pm

Gentry is a very nice build.
Neel Thompson has one and I have been in it several times. It is a hoot.
Neel's build thread may help you along the way. Congrats on starting a build, you will enjoy the journey.
I built Double Eagle, and I found that short sentences in the instructions had a lot of detail within.
Read carefully, then re-read.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:28 am

Carl,,, Best of luck in building your Gentry. As Ken said, it is a hoot to ride in. If you have any questions or run into any stumbling blocks along the way, just let me know and I will try to help. So far my Gentry has been the only one at the Glen-L Gatherings, but I know of at least one more coming in September from Alabama. I hope you can make your way to Tennessee in September to see one up close. I, along with everyone else, will look forward to meeting you.... Neel

CarlM

Post by CarlM » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:46 pm

Thanks guys,
Po,boy I'm sorry to hear you had to hit the pause button. I hope your situation corrects itself.

Kens and Neel,
I have read Neel's gentry and current build threads. I have reviewed certain things as i proceed. I was able to take a ride in Scooter last gathering. I was only there on Saturday. I am planning on attending this year as well probably just Saturday. I will check out your Double Eagle build thread you have peaked my interest.
Thanks again everyone...............Carl

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:26 am

Oh yes Carl... I remember meeting you now. Look forward to seeing you again in September. In the meantime, let me know if I can answer any questions... Neel

CarlM

Post by CarlM » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:49 pm

Making slow but steady progress. I got the material for the frames milled, cut and routed last weekend. This week and next week i am on vacation so hopefully i can get most of the frame work completed. Tomorrow I am taking the day to drive to Vickery OH to go pick up the Okume ply.
I am looking at getting the building form put together but i have a question. The motor stringers are supposed to be 26" apart according to the plans. I don't know what engine i will be using yet but i assume it will be a 350 or 351. Will the spacing on the plans be sufficient for either or both of them. I know Neel went with a 350 and Roberta has a 351 but didn't see were they mentioned the spacing.
Carl
Attachments
20190319_212125.jpg
20190319_212059.jpg

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:04 am

Carl,,,, If you space the stringers 26" inside to inside, you will have room to put any engine of your choice. What actually happens is you will be mounting some kind of motor support (metal or wood) on the inside of each stringer to actually support the motor. I used quarter sawn oak for this, but many fabricate aluminum or stainless "L" brackets.
Attachments
003 (6).JPG

CarlM

Post by CarlM » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:52 pm

Thank you Neel that was exactly what I needed to know. I am looking forward to seeing some more updates on your build. I imagine you might be waiting for the temperature to cooperate with you. Carl

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:59 am

Sorry for the lousy picture, but I think you get the idea..... I have started back up on the PB 22, but still a little chilly in the garage. I hope to finish the second layer of cold molding on the bottom within a week, and then outside for sanding before starting the sides.

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:04 am

Carl... One more thing... Put the clips that hold the stringers tight to the frames on the outboard side of the stringers in the motor bed/motor area

CarlM

Post by CarlM » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:50 am

Neel....thanks for the tip I'll be sure to do that.

Return to “Power Boats”