finishes

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

footer

finishes

Post by footer » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:30 am

What is the best recommendation for finish coats?
I was planning to use Masters Spar Urethane on my top deck. I used it on my dash with disastrous results. I epoxied my dash, let it dry for a couple days, sanded and covered with the spar urethane. I got gassing. Thousands of tiny pinholes in it. I sanded and tried again two more times with the same results. I contacted Masters and they said they have never tested it over epoxy and therefore can't help me.
What do you normally use?

billy c

Re: finishes

Post by billy c » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:01 am

Interlux Perfection Plus is the best I’ve found for use over epoxy base coatings.
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Mark-NJ

Post by Mark-NJ » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:28 am

Pin holing is often not outgassing, but rather spots with zero adhesion. After sanding, how did you 'wash' the surface? Any silica from the sandpaper that remains on the surface WILL repel the final finish, so it's absolutely essential that the washing step is done repeatedly.

I used TotalBoat "Lust" from Jamestown. Roll & tip application, and the finish looks great 2 years later. No trouble adhering to the (sanded & washed) epoxy, no pin holing, etc.

mn

footer

Post by footer » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:50 am

Thank you Billy, I appreciate your help. I've read up on it and it looks like what I'm looking for.
Thanks Mark. looks like a good product too. I wiped it down with a clean damp rag. I've used Spar Urethane on many projects with no problems, but never over epoxy. Gassing was my first thought and that was what the rep at Masters thought it was. Either way, I won't risk using it on my top deck.
Last edited by footer on Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:53 am

I agree with Billy. Perfection Plus.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

footer

Post by footer » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:56 am

Thanks Bill.

TomB

Post by TomB » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:04 am

Plus one on Perfection Plus. I can't say how it holds up but it does give a nice finish. Also plus one on the super cleaning, in Interlux world it's 202 fiberglass solvent wash. Brace yourself, the solvent wash and varnish both stink! Tom

Mark-NJ

Post by Mark-NJ » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:12 am

In my view, a "clean damp rag" won't do it. It needs to be a solvent wash with some fairly aggressive scrubbing. You have to get the silica off.

footer

Post by footer » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:35 am

Thanks mark, I'm sure your right and i should have read up on that. I'm getting some solvent today.
TomB, It's probably like the PPG Pitthane I've used before, which knocks your socks off. Only Pitthane is a carcinogen.

TomB

Post by TomB » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:50 am

You might also take a look at JimmY's Michigan Squirt Build posts for tips and technics he used, with lots of help from his friends. Tom

kens

Post by kens » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:10 pm

The best finish prep is wet sanding, with potable water.
solvent rag washing will dissolve contaminates and leave them behind.
damp rag wiping isnt good enough, and, isnt really potable water wash,
The way to go is wet sanding with potable water; if you can drink the water you started with, you can consider it 'clean'.
then, as the water runs away, you can actually 'see' the cleanliness left behind; if the water tends to 'bead up' , it is contaminated.
If the water runs away evenly, and dries up, it is clean.
When you get there, don't mess with it, just paint it, coat it, finish it, whatever you intentions are.
BUT, if you wet sand it, get it clean, then solvent rag wipe it, and get a problem,,,,,,DON'T BLAME THE WATER !!!!!
If you feel the need to tack rag the dust, fine, but do so lightly, remember that water does not leave dust behind......
A heavy hand with tack rag will get you fish-eyes.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:32 am

Once I learned to work with it, I really like the System 3 WR-LPU. It can be rolled and tipped or sprayed, water clean up, no smell, dries fast (multiple coats in one day), is clear (doesn't yellow caulk lines), and has held up so far. I was putting this over System 3 Silver Tip epoxy, so I knew everything was compatible.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Return to “Power Boats”