Lee's Monaco utility build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: Lee's Monaco utility build

Post by mrintense »

It can be challenging having to go out in the heat and do the more mundane tasks such as encapsulation. Especially when you have to do it several times. I always feel like progress slows to a crawl when this comes up. But Looking back at pictures of progress over the years helps in this regard as you can see the progress in a shorter time frame and realize that it is getting built.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Carl,

The heat isn't what slows me down in summer. It is the extra summertime activities that take over the weekends :)

I got the first six side planking pieces on (sorry for the upside down picture).

Lee
Attachments
IMG_20200611_201755.JPG
IMG_20200611_201811.JPG
YouTube channel: Boat Builder Lee
Monaco build YouTube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP4Edb ... /playlists

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

More progress on the side planking. The Omer composite brad nailer is great for planking. I have a lot of trimming to do but I think I will wait until the entire layer is complete.

Lee
Attachments
IMG_20200617_183742.JPG
Monaco build YouTube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP4Edb ... /playlists

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Lee,
Just a suggestion to cut down on waste...... Rip the plywood in the desired width, 8' long. Then take the long piece and clamp to the hull and cut it on an angle just proud of the bottom of the hull. Then use the part you cut off, which will also have an angle, for the other side. You will end up with a longer piece of waste if you do it that way. That waste will come in handy after the flip. You can also use that method when planking the bottom. Your build is really coming along.... Looks great... Neel

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

neel thompson wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:41 am
Lee,
Just a suggestion to cut down on waste...... Rip the plywood in the desired width, 8' long. Then take the long piece and clamp to the hull and cut it on an angle just proud of the bottom of the hull. Then use the part you cut off, which will also have an angle, for the other side. You will end up with a longer piece of waste if you do it that way. That waste will come in handy after the flip. You can also use that method when planking the bottom. Your build is really coming along.... Looks great... Neel
Hey, that’s a great idea. I ended up with 200 triangles laying around.
Matt B

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Hercdrvr wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:30 am
Hey, that’s a great idea. I ended up with 200 triangles laying around.
Matt B
You mean gussets? :D

Looking good.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Thank you guys.

Neel,

I will think about your idea but I am kind of fond of the triangles or gussets :) (not really). My planking strips are about 40 inches long so I get two from the length of a 4x8 sheet. I have been cutting about 15-16 inches off of the end of the 4x8 plywood before ripping. That leaves me with about a 15x48 inch piece that I thought I could get a couple more 6-7 inch wide strips out of. That is what I have been thinking anyway to help with some of the waste.

Lee

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

More progress on the side planking.

Lee
Attachments
IMG_20200623_202325.JPG

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Every time I see photos of a cold molded hull going together, I think of the strength being built into that hull. That along with the additional side battens. One stout hull. Looking good Lee.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Thank you Carl. I agree, the design of these boats makes them strong.

More progress on the side planking. I should have used thinner cut boards at the very front like maybe 3 inches wide. They worked okay but a couple took some extra coaxing. The first layer on the port side is almost done. I decided to keep using the same system I have been using so I have a lot of trimming to do. I might change my mind for the starboard side depending on how the port side trimming goes.

Lee
Attachments
IMG_20200625_183642.JPG
IMG_20200629_165246.JPG

Ozzieboat

Post by Ozzieboat »

I found that I needed to install some temporary braces between the battens and the stringers at bay 0-1 as bending the ply around the curve of the side at that point tended to pull the battens in, upsetting the fair of the sides. I was using 3/16" ply.

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Ozzieboat,

Thank you. That is a good thing to keep in mind. I don't think I have that issue with my 4mm ply but I guess I better check on this.

Lee

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

The first layer of port side planking is done including rough trimming. I plan to start on the starboard side and fine tune the port trimming after I get to the same point on the starboard side. It is nice to see it without the overhand of the side planking. I made a lot more triangles tonight. I guess I was serious about liking the triangles... :)

Lee
Attachments
IMG_20200706_184048.JPG
IMG_20200706_200658.JPG

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

I have six planking pieces done on the starboard side first layer and I am starting to think about the second layer of planking ply. I know people have used different techniques for the cold molded planking layers after the first layer.

After the first layer is done, I was planning on coating it with CPES and then encapsulating before applying the next layer. I am now thinking that this is overkill. At a minimum I plan to coat the side to be epoxied of each piece of second layer planking with encapsulating epoxy and then coat the first layer surface (where the second layer piece with go) with Poxy Grip. If I do this, do I really need to use CPES or even encapsulate? I want to do what is best without overkill. After the final finish layer is on, I do plan to use CPES before doing the rest (e.g. glassing on the bottom, sealing the sides, etc.).

Thoughts?

Lee

TomB

Post by TomB »

Lee,

My two cents. Overkill and maybe not in a positive way.

Coat the joining faces of each piece, one side to get it wet and the other side with thickened epoxy. This will reduce the risk of "glue starving" the joint when the pieces are joined.

If you use epoxy, CPES or whatever, and let it cure, it would need to scuffed up to provide a mechanical bond. I'm not sure CPES would give you enough epoxy to keep from starving the joint when wet. Then the question of cured epoxy is, did you sand enough?, did you get the dust off? Too much work, too many questions. My two cents.

Tom

Ps. Not a fan of CPES anyway, too much Naptha. If I want thin epoxy, I use the regular stuff and thin it 10% with alcohol, lots cheaper and no stink. I guess we're up to four cents.
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

Return to “Power Boats”