Lee's Monaco utility build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: Lee's Monaco utility build

Post by mrintense »

What worked for me was steaming using the plastic bag approach I found from Tips With A Shipwright on You Tube. Then preforming the part before installing later.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

It looks like I won't need to steam anything but that idea about using a bag for steaming is an interesting one.

The port chine is done now and so are the sheer notches on the port side. I am getting read to start the sheer notches on the starboard side.

Lee
Attachments
IMG_20191207_193805.JPG

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Nice looking laminated chine you’ve got there. I refuse to wrestle full size chine and sheer, laminating helps me cut down on the number serenity prayers I have to say.
Matt B

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Matt,

Thank you. According to the plans, the chines are two laminations and I didn't need steaming to make the bend. I did a little praying :) for the sheers but I found out that the hot water/towel approach will work for them. They will consist of three laminations.

Lee

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

The first and second lams of the port sheer are done and the first lam of the starboard sheer is done. I used the boiling water approach on the second lam of the starboard side and it broke :( I noticed some irregularities in the grain which appears to be the cause but even with that, I didn't think this would happen. I guess I need to be more careful when bending these. Now I have more scarf joints to cut :x That will set me back a little but I know I am not the only one who has experienced this.

I am also starting to layout the bottom battens. I have a lot of scarf joints to epoxy for the battens.

Lee
Attachments
IMG_20191219_224836.JPG
IMG_20191220_153955.JPG
IMG_20191220_165110.JPG

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Lee

I hate that CRACK! noise. I had one after the flip on the Tahoe! I never found it.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

My boat didn't call for carrying the outboard battens that far forward so I was lucky and didn't have too much issues. Biggest challenge was getting them to bend down at the ends. I had to kerf the battens at the ends in order to get them to come down far enough.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Bill,

I don't like the CRACK noise either :) I avoided that noise when I built a TNT several years ago so this is the first time I heard it.

Carl,

The sheers bend pretty good towards the bow. You are lucky that your design doesn't call for that so you don't have to hear the CRACK noise :)

All three lams of the port sheer are done now. I started cutting bottom batten notches. I made a jig for my skill saw. It took me a notch or two to work the kinks out and it is kind of messy with sawdust but it works great. I will use it on as many of the batten notches as possible.

Lee
Attachments
IMG_20191221_162038.JPG
IMG_20191223_202342.JPG
IMG_20191223_201617.JPG

Ozzieboat

Post by Ozzieboat »

Lee
I don't think you are out of the woods yet. I found the hardest curves were the side battens upfront. I broke one, but at that time Glen had just written an article on battens. See Web Letter 105, "Designers Notebook : Battens". As suggested I cut a kerf on the side battens back from the stem for about 4 feet. I cut the kerf horizontal not vertical as shown in the illustration. The kerf was glued and the batten fitted up wet using glad wrap in the notches. When the glue had set the batten was removed and cleaned up prior to final fitting. It looked like a cross between a corkscrew and a shepherd's staff. It was interesting to note, that with the legs either side of the kerf there was about 3/16"difference.

Merry Christmas to all.

ozzieboat

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

I agree, side battens up front can be argumentative. Your build is coming along nicely and looking great.
Matt B
Attachments
E2285EAB-8A1C-4C2E-842D-13FC9FD1D94E.jpeg

footer

Post by footer »

I had the same problem with my chines. The problem was always a knot or grains close to a knot. These areas are harder and more brittle and won’t bend at the same rate as a straight grain. The same holds true for scarf joints. Always try to put knots or joints in areas that are low stress.
After breaking three chines, I switched to a very straight grained white oak and put my scarf joints towards the stern.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

While I was doing final fairing, on the Tahoe, before glassing I heard a loud POP! I've never found it. I don't know how I would have "fixed" it if I had.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Thank you for the replies. I was concerned about the side battens because they looked almost as tight a bend as the sheers. Thank you Matt B for the compliment. I am getting there :)

ozzieboat,

Thank you for the info. I definitely will check out that web letter. Do you have any pictures so I can see better what you are talking about?

Lee

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

All three lams of the starboard sheer are done now. T'hat includes the extra scarf joint I had to do because of the CRACK I heard when bending one of the sheer lams. Almost all of the bottom batten slots are cut and I am now starting to fit the bottom battens.

Bill,

I hope I don't hear any more CRACK noises :)

Lee
Attachments
IMG_20200104_161339.JPG
IMG_20200104_161334.JPG
IMG_20200104_175239.JPG

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Lee,
Your build is looking wonderful. The sheer landed nicely on the breast hook and stem. Those three bottom battens get tricky as the sheer meets the stem, not much room to bend and twist them. Yours are well done! Very nice progress on your build.
Matt B

Return to “Power Boats”