Lee's Monaco utility build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: Lee's Monaco utility build

Post by mrintense »

Good progress Lee. I'm looking forward to seeing the final layer getting added. Then lots of sanding!! :D :D
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Thank you guys. This part of a cold molded build takes a while, at least for me :) You work for weeks and months it the boat looks kind of the same but it is still fun. Here is the planking order I am using to get the overlap of the sides and bottom I want:
1) layer one transom with 6mm ply - done
2) layer two transom with 4mm ply - done
3) layer one bottom with 4mm ply - done
4) layer one sides with 4mm ply - done
5) layer two bottom with 4mm ply - done
6) layer two sides with 4mm ply - about to start
7) layer three bottom with 4mm ply
8 ) layer three transom with 5mm genuine mahogany veneer
9) layer three sides with 5mm genuine mahogany veneer
10) layer four bottom with 4mm ply for most except for 5mm (will require a little feathering) genuine mahogany veneer at the bow

Lee

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

I am getting close to being done with the second layer of planking on the port side. I was going to wait until this layer was done and trimmed before I posted an update but I guess I just couldn't wait anymore. Boy, this cold molding takes a long time :shock: but I am getting there.

Lee
Attachments
IMG_20200920_181030.JPG

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

The second layer of planking on the port side is done including trimming :) I am getting close to the second layer being done on the starboard side. Then I need to work on the bottom and fix my fairing mistakes and bottom flatness issues at the rear of the boat before starting on the third planking layer on the bottom. Fixing the bottom is going to take some extra plywood and sanding of that plywood so that should be fun :?

Lee
Attachments
IMG_20200926_122335.JPG
IMG_20200926_122317.JPG
IMG_20201008_201150.JPG

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

The second planking layer on the starboard side is done and trimmed :) I noticed that one of my recent batches of thickened epoxy for side planking never fully hardened. It stayed kind of rubbery. I must have messed up and gotten the mix ratio wrong. I am using SilverTip (for the longer working time) and thickening with microspheres.

I am now preparing to start on the third planking layer on the bottom. I have some low spots to fix with thickened epoxy first. It is about time to buy lumber for the pretty layer of planking which I will start on the sides after the third bottom layer is done.

Lee
Attachments
IMG_20201018_173436.JPG
IMG_20201018_173445.JPG

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

I improved the front to back bottom flatness by sanding a little on the higher spots and then filling in the low spots with thickened epoxy. I used a piece of lumber as a screed to spread the epoxy in the low spots. It worked better than I thought it would. It looks a little ugly but is already covered up by the first two pieces of third layer planking. Soon I will be buying some pretty wood for the third layer on the sides :)

Lee
Attachments
IMG_20201024_122730.JPG
IMG_20201024_122712.JPG
IMG_20201025_171505.JPG

Return to “Power Boats”