Decisions, Decisions

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Kodyboat88

Decisions, Decisions

Post by Kodyboat88 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:04 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the boat building scene and something keeps drawing me to it every time I get distracted with life. After mulling it over for quite a few months in between work and life I have finally decided which plans I will be getting in the next couple months. That will be the Desperado. Ever since I've seen the two in the gallery I've come to be very fond of the sleek design. I'll be purchasing the building help books as I'm not much of a woodworker myself with my background being in metal working. Figured the wealth of knowledge would be well worth getting. I do have a couple questions for you builders who've been doing these builds and any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Most have the long prominant bow for the upper decking. I have a plan in my head on shortening the wood decking to open up the front of the boat with extra seating, however I understand that the boards across the front bow are more than likely support for the hull itself. Would it be feasible to lower those boards and putting in bracing to accommodate a small front seating area/storage area without losing hull integrity? Also what would be the best/cheapest type of wood to use for framing? I know my build is furthur in the future, I just like being as knowledgable as possible during my planning stages to help make adjustments as deemed fit.

Regards,
Kody

sproggy

Re: Decisions, Decisions

Post by sproggy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:31 am

Welcome.

Regarding your idea to open up the bow to provide seating you should be aware that the hull was not designed to have people sitting there - it won't have much buoyancy forward and putting people there may make it difficult or impossible to get the boat to plane well depending upon where you put other weight. The limited volume forward will also mean that there's not much space for people to put their legs!

Structurally you should be OK if you put some thought into the construction of the forward seat, tying the frames together with the seat supports.

As a compromise you might reduce the deck rather than removing it entirely - for example make it a foot or so shorter, particularly if you are building the 19' variant. Choice of motor will make a difference too. If you build it with an outboard it would probably cope with a little more weight in the bow than if you use an inboard.

Others will no doubt offer suggestions - listen to what everyone says and then make your own decision. But asking existing Desperado builders/owners about their weight distribution may be the biggest help to you in determining your layout.

footer

Post by footer » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:27 am

Sproggy makes some very good point's. Another thought is the weight capacity of the boat. It already seats 6. The more weight, the more sluggish it will get. But, if you really want to put more people in it, you may consider bench seats rather than buckets.

Kodyboat88

Post by Kodyboat88 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:51 pm

I see your points, however I seem to have said my questions incorrectly. Seating will still mostly seat 6, it's just redesigning the aft and forward sections of the boat. I have been busy grafting out a very rough design of the interior -as that portion is relatively free while awaiting funds- and will post the picture of it on here in a little while. So far the planning is complete minus any modifications that will be changed due to potential design flaws that someone may note. I wont be fully eliminating the prominant bow more so shortening it while at the same time lengthening the aft section to allow an I/O set up. Basically making a claim shell over the rear section of the engine bay from port to starboard. It will make more sense when I am able to upload a visual aid as I am terrible at explaining things through words. I do apologize for any confusion.

Kodyboat88

Post by Kodyboat88 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:26 pm

Please excuse my terrible grafting skill lol I am by no means a craftsman but this is my general idea on how I want the interior to look. And what I meant by the front bow seating.
Attachments
20190411_151617.jpg

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:28 pm

Looks doable. It gets narrow up there but you start with almost eight feet of beam. Placing a call to Gayle at Glen-L would be a great idea.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:34 am

“ I've come to be very fond of the sleek design.”

Here’s the problem I see: decreasing the length of the forward decking and sleek design don’t play well together.
Solution: My experience guides me to look for a design requiring the fewest modification to get what I want.
Good luck,
Matt B

Kodyboat88

Post by Kodyboat88 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:29 am

Thank you both for the ideas,

Hood, I've thought about giving a call before proceeding with the plans purchase that way I can verify that it is a doable model without risking the structure of the hull and you reaffirmed my intuition on it thank you.

Herc, I've also reviewed all of the boat plans that I've came across to see if I could alleviate the problem that way, the only one I found that would be close to alleviating that issue would be the ski bass -withing my length building limits- the issue I have with that boat is I do want to still have a covered bow up front just a jumper seat right after the windshield. I'm open to any suggestions you may have an idea of though, and I appreciate any input you may have on a design that would fit what I'm looking to do. The max length I'm wanting to get to due to garage limitations would be 19ft, 20 I think would be pushing it as I'm not the smallest guy around lol.

Regards,
Kody

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:37 am

Kody: I think the ski bass might be a better option. You know you can have an open bow. Reconfiguring interior layout is doable. You should be able to add a deck to cover the bow fairly easily. You do lose about six inches of beam from the desperado.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Kodyboat88

Post by Kodyboat88 » Mon May 06, 2019 11:24 am

That is a good point Bryan. I've been doing a lot of reading on the forum familiarizing myself more with terms ect while trying to make up my mind. The problem I'm running into is weight on the motors. And how much hp I'll be limited to with me building an I/O set up vs weight problems. Ideally I want to get a Mercruiser V6 with sterndrive however I'm having an issue finding the weight on their stern drives to help calculate how much weight they would be combined. Also this is something that is going to ultimately make up my mind. I know on the SkiBass the weight is limited to the drive train at 750. I havent been able to deduce the limits on the Desperado as of yet. Anyone have any info they can throw out there? This will be close to my last post until I start my build. Thank you all for all the great tips I have read on here and it sure doesnt make it easy to wait on funds as I itch to get my build started.

Regards,
Kody

Return to “Power Boats”