Tunnel king / Desperado

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Ashlock2415

Tunnel king / Desperado

Post by Ashlock2415 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:33 pm

Has any one built one of these ? I cant deside what route i want to go. I love the tunnel hulls but i want the pickle fork look, can the tunnel king be modified in the front to get this. Im looking for speed also, and torn between the desperado and the tunnel king.

JhlFin

Re: Tunnel king / Desperado

Post by JhlFin » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:57 pm

First, sorry for my bad english, try to understand. I havent build neither one, but about 7 years ago ordered plans for tunnel king and wanted to buld it. i also ordered Tiny might plans and choose to build it, its coming along but not wery well. Because lack of my building skills looks more like Tiny shite :D Now i kinda second quess myself about choosig tiny migh because i really like tunnel kings looks and would not have broblems wiht inboard motor installation :D Tunnel king seems rarely built, i hope you choose to build it :) I know nothing, but i would think that shape of nose would not affect boats abilities etc. Might be hard to get look correct. At first i wasnt so keen on tunnel kings looks, but now i think it looks cool and somewhat unique. Atleast here in Finland tunnel hulls are very rare, and what i understand Tunnel king is wery nice handling boat. I hope someone whit more experience will answer your question.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:59 pm

Someone completed a Tunnel King a couple of years ago that is documented here on the forum. Try searching for the thread. It is a very fast boat.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Denon Osterman

Post by Denon Osterman » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:51 am

I'm a tiny bit late to the game here but I think the tunnel king with extended sponsons forward would be *sweet*. A friend of mine's dad built the tunnel king decades ago and absolutely loved it - it is indeed a very, very fast boat. If you do modify it I would not modify anything that touches the water, or the center part of the tunnel (which presumably has something to do with lift)...I'd just extend the front of the hull halves to poke out the right amount, such that the chine / sheer / stem lines mesh into the existing lines of the hulls in a curve that is fair, and still above the water line*

I personally think it's a much cooler / faster / sleeker / etc boat than the Desperado, which I never much cared for...but that's just me. Modifying the tunnel king plans may be a bit beyond what you're comfortable with, but really isn't too hard*...I would go for it! The forum will be endlessly helpful if you do :)

Cheers,

Denon

*If you don't know what I mean by meshing the new sheer / chine / stem lines in a fair curve above the water line, then changing the design will be more difficult...if you know exactly what I mean, it'll be quite easy. My first boat was a TNT which I did bone stock, my second (nearly done) is a rampage that's been relatively heavily modified along the sheer profile above the waterline to be ~3-5" taller and ~4-6" wider...and all done by hand without any CAD. Being 100% honest, you could just build the tunnel king to spec, and then before you put on any plywood, "add" the pokey bits by laminating on additional sheer, chine, and stem pieces to the existing such that they mate in a fair curve above the waterline. Since it's purely cosmetic, it wouldn't be an issue, and would likely be quite easy without ever having to worry about drafting modified plans or profiles.

Mr Hot Rod

Post by Mr Hot Rod » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:45 pm

Great, Denon ! I've had pickleforks on the brain since you posted your comments !

Here's a link to a nice little boat. The Water Spider by Spidercraft Boats is a single seat catamaran. The deck line is dropped to create the picklefork bow.
More info here : Spidercraft Boats

Not a tunnel or an outboard design, but this is the boat you really want ! Follow the link to see sponson construction detail photos :

280 cubic inch class hydroplane (E) built in 1978 by Ed Karelsen - LOA 18' 4", Beam 8' 9"
    Restored by Doug Woodward, Washington, North Carolina (vintagehydroplanes.com)
More info here : Pickle fork hydro modification

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.kanecustomboats.com
Glen-L Hot Rod build thread
Kane Custom Boats YouTube channel
Glen-L Boat Video Directory

Forum Support Knowledge Base

Denon Osterman

Post by Denon Osterman » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:26 am

Oh man, that is a *sweet* looking little boat. It would literally fly with the right engine! Amazing how small it looks for 18 feet too...very cool.

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:48 am

JhiFin stated:
"i also ordered Tiny might plans and choose to build it, its coming along but not wery well. Because lack of my building skills looks more like Tiny shite"

This actually made me laugh out loud JhiFin...thank you!

Return to “Power Boats”