Boat dreaming "Atlantic Skiff"

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Kgumby30

Boat dreaming "Atlantic Skiff"

Post by Kgumby30 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:45 am

The other day I was out on a buddies 20' Shamrock Cuddy. Was such agreat ride and I love the keel drive(skeg). It got me dreaming. Again. Could the Atlantic Skiff be built with a small cuddy cabin? Something like the cabin on the Albert E. design. Or could a deeper skeg be buit onto the Albert E.?
Thanks,
Kevin

DrBryanJ

Re: Boat dreaming "Atlantic Skiff"

Post by DrBryanJ » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:16 am

Kevin: adding a cabin to the Atlantic skiff should be doable. I think trying to add a skeg to the Albert E. would be more difficult. I think the general feeling is above the waterline you can make changes, but below the waterline you should keep true to the plans.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:25 am

Listen to you Bryan talk about not changing things below the waterline !!

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:38 am

Neel: You know how it is "Do as I say, Not as I do!"
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:07 am

:roll: :lol: :?

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Post by kens » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:28 am

You can custom the cabins configuration quite a bit. Glen=l offers a set of Dory cabin plans that are inexpensive and you can take a lot of ideas from them. alternately you can take study plans from one set of drawings and use the ideas you want from there.
Adding or deleting a skeg is not really a big deal. If you want a skeg on Albert E, I see no reason not to take the (small) skeg lines from Double Eagle and build the skeg as an appendage on Albert E. just leave the Albert E running bottom as drawn.
Can you put a cabin on Atlantic skiff? sure. Atlantic skiff also has 2 different skeg drawings you can look at.
Also, just as others have said, do not alter the running bottom lines.

But, you mention you really like the Shamrock, it's inboard handling and keel drive, and some cabin. I'm a Shamrock fan also.
If you were to build a Double Eagle, and stretch it 10% per the plans, you end up with 99.9% of a Shamrock 26 Mackinaw.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Return to “Power Boats”