slow but sure improvements Double Eagle in Aluminum

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

North

slow but sure improvements Double Eagle in Aluminum

Post by North » Sun May 12, 2019 5:39 pm

Hi Folks,
Haven't posted in a while.. been using the 25' Double Eagle for 3 summers now.. this will the the 4th. It may not look like much, but as the boat is still not complete (may put some type of cabin on next winter..), we have come a long way in the last 3 years.. first summer was really just sea trials and a bit of fun, running on a Jerry can for most of it. Then a used SS tank, no gunwales, not child friendly, etc..

This Springs projects, done in about 3 weekends, were:

- swim platform / easy step onto the boat from our dock
- toilet, placed deep in the open bow and likely will just have a shower curtain type of setup for now... but if someone has to go bad enough, i doubt they will complain..
- FINALLY- after using temporary painted OSB/cheap less-than-ply floors for 3 summers (instead of the intended 1st summer only) i finally cut and welded in aluminum floor panels (welded on the side sections and removable center sections). Had I bought new sheets i would have went with checkerplate for non-slip. But as I had enough left over from the hull it is smooth sheet. I had thought of painting with sand in the 2nd coat of epoxy paint but in the end bought a roll of garage flooring from HD which is checkerplate pattern. No pics of that yet, but i used my wood floors as a template so it should roll up and out of the way if needed, but look Ok and provider grip when down.
Attachments
20190512_144844.jpg
20190512_144855.jpg
20190512_144825.jpg

North

Re: slow but sure improvements Double Eagle in Aluminum

Post by North » Sun May 12, 2019 5:48 pm

One more pic.
Note. No sanding disks or grinding after welding as in a hurray today. May clean up if I have time or may live with it this summer..
Attachments
20190512_144904.jpg

kens

Post by kens » Sun May 12, 2019 6:44 pm

Good to hear from you. I had wondered what happen to you. How is it running?
Looks good from here.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

North

Post by North » Mon May 13, 2019 3:52 pm

Hi Ken - the boat ran well last year, as I had finally found my antifreeze leak (crack in water cooled exhaust manifold... put on an aftermarket one at a reasonable price, and been good for the entire last summer).
I found the boat was overpropper last year when we had extra (but now typical) weight aboard.. (another family of 4 along with ours and all of our combined beach gear, coolers, kayaks, towing dinghy). With just me I could hit reasonable rpms and speeds, but with all that weight it could not rev over maybe 1800 or 2000rpms.. which then would not allow the engine to reach close to peak HP..

So, I had 2 inches of pitch taken off - we will see if that is enough.. at least it will be better than last year.

All in all, very satisfied with how it works and will likely put some type of hard roof and perhaps cabin with (hopefully) removable lexan side windows and perhaps even removable front windows.. nice to be able to keep the weather put when needed, but we are mostly out in nice weather and I do NOT want to be in a hot and stuffy cabin..

North

Post by North » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:10 pm

Had the boat out briefly when I put it in a couple of weeks ago (haven't been able to get out since).
With some pitch taken off the prop, Iam now able to get 3000rpm WOT (max intermittent rpm for the engine is 2800rpms which delivers 150hp).
So, I think i am good- engine should not be overloaded this year... Even with a couple families on board and gear, I should still hopefully be able to hit perhaps 2500rpm or so (which is max continuous rpms).

Return to “Power Boats”