Ski-Tow...Peg is still turning heads!

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Mark-NJ

Ski-Tow...Peg is still turning heads!

Post by Mark-NJ » Tue May 14, 2019 8:51 am

Here in NJ, the weather has been awful. "Spring"? What spring? But last Saturday was the first beautiful day we've had, so the wife & I decided to take "Peg" up to Lake Hopatcong to see if she still floats!

I completely disassembled & re-built my engine over the winter ('57 Johnson 35HP Golden Javelin), and although it runs well in a bucket, you really don't know if everything is A-OK until you hit the lake. So Saturday was the day. 70F, Sunny....game on!

From the moment I pulled into the marina to launch it, the heads turned & the comments came fast & furious! After a long line of fiberglass fishing boats being launched, this "varnished wooden boat" really stood out. Can't deny it: I enjoyed the attention. I'm not really 'that kinda guy', but hey!...it's a pretty cool boat.

There's a restaurant on the lake that you can reach by boat. I went there by boat when I was 9 years old in my uncle's Chris-Craft, and ever since then I've always dreamed of the day when I could arrive in my very own wooden boat. No more dreaming!...done deal! The people at the outdoor tables all turned their attention to "that old (!) wooden boat". Quite a few gathered to inspect. After lunch, when we went back to the boat, another crowd gathered. As we fired up the engine & backed out, quite a few iPhones were taking videos of "that old (!) wooden boat". Quite a thrill.

Next month, June 22, is the 45th annual "Antique & Classic Boat Show" at the Lake Hopatcong Yacht Club...and I'm entering "Peg" again this year. It's a free show, open to the public from 10-4. Amazing boats will be there to drool over! Come on by & say 'hi' if you're in the N.NJ area.
Last edited by Mark-NJ on Tue May 14, 2019 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Milhouse

Re: Ski-Tow...still turning heads!

Post by Milhouse » Tue May 14, 2019 9:03 am

Very cool story!

Got any pics?
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Mark-NJ

Post by Mark-NJ » Tue May 14, 2019 9:10 am

Yes...I'll post a few tonight when I get home.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue May 14, 2019 9:42 am

Mark

I love when they ask "What year is that old Chris Craft?" :lol:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Mark-NJ

Re: Ski-Tow...Peg is still turning heads!

Post by Mark-NJ » Tue May 14, 2019 4:26 pm

OK...some pics from Saturday:

Loaded up & ready to drive!

Lovin' it!

At the restaurant.

We ate indoors; by the time we left, the outdoor seating was full and a lot of people were checking us out!

We live in NJ, but the boat spends most of it's "water time" in Maine....thus the ME registration

After lunch, we poked our bow into a cove just to take a look. From 1892 (yes, 1892) until 2011, that house on the hill was owned by my family. All things must pass, however, and now it's owned by others. Looks like they're enjoying it like we did!

The burgee on the bow is for our home yacht club on Androscoggin Lake in Wayne ME.

Time to turn & head back to the launch. I think the Johnson Golden Javelin is as much of a head turner as the boat itself. Love this engine!!

Here's two from last year at the boat show. It shows the boat a bit better...

Locutus

Post by Locutus » Wed May 15, 2019 7:31 am

Images not showing. When I right click on the word "image" and choose "view image" I get a screen that says "Proxy server is refusing connections."

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Wed May 15, 2019 9:50 am

Mark, I'm not having a problem seeing images.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Mark-NJ

Post by Mark-NJ » Wed May 15, 2019 9:51 am

Neither am I. Issues like this are usually in the server-client settings, mostly client-side, but sometimes a rejection from server-side.

Are you going to come to the show this year? And how's your boat coming along?
Last edited by Mark-NJ on Wed May 15, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony Hain

Post by Tony Hain » Wed May 15, 2019 11:11 am

The Johnson makes it! It just wouldn't be the same with a modern motor.
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

Mark-NJ

Post by Mark-NJ » Wed May 15, 2019 11:28 am

Tony Hain wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:11 am
The Johnson makes it! It just wouldn't be the same with a modern motor.
I thought about a modern motor. But the look would be all wrong. I wanted a classic! And I got really lucky with that...

I had an Evi '53 15HP...spun bearings. Started & ran, but squealed like a stuck pig and I didn't feel like fixing it. Put it on CL for 50 bucks.

I also had an Evi '69 25HP that I had on the boat. Ran great...but it was a bit marginal for the hull.

Guy comes over to buy the 15HP. Sees the boat, sees the 25HP. He correctly comments that he suspects 25HP is marginal. Asks me if I like to "wheel & deal". Says he has 2 engines, both dead. A '59 35HP Gale Sovereign and a '57 35HP Johnson Golden Javelin. Essentially, the same motors.

- The GJ is beyond hope, fully frozen...but the cowl is clean & the badging is "all there". Chrome needs re-doing.

- The Sov holds promise, he says. It turns, but is banged to hell with lots of missing or broken parts. But he suspects that, with some elbow grease & a few eBay purchases here & there, it could be coaxed back from the brink.

We both know that these 2 engines are more-or-less identical, and there just might be enough here to assemble one good engine. So the challenge was thrown down: Would I, wheeler-dealer that I am, trade my (perfectly good, running) 25HP for his two dead carcasses? What could possibly go wrong, right? :) :) We made the trade, and I set about on my "new winter project". Tore them apart, sorted through the pieces & built what you see from the ground up. It took about six months.

Last summer, the resulting engine pulled water skiers! It's got the Gale nameplate & s/n, but the GJ cowl speaks for itself.
Last edited by Mark-NJ on Wed May 15, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by 283 » Wed May 15, 2019 12:18 pm

Looks good Mark!

Bit jealous...still at least a few weeks before we put in the boat. don’t even have leaves on the trees yet.
Mike

Mark-NJ

Post by Mark-NJ » Wed May 15, 2019 12:22 pm

We'll be up the last 2 weeks of July. Let's plan on meeting again...that rainstorm broke up last years' party a bit too soon! I want to see your boat in action...

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Thu May 16, 2019 5:22 am

The boat and motor combination are perfect, all looks like something from back in the day. Reminds me of the boat my dad and grandfather built back in the late 50s. It was a plywood runabout called the Playboy, the plans from Popular Mechanics (people are still building it recently) it had a 35 hp Gale Buccaneer on it, green and white. Lots of fun memories!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sat May 18, 2019 10:50 am

Thanks for the pics, She looks great!
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sat May 18, 2019 10:55 am

That engine is a perfect compliment to a fine boat Mark. The comments from others is something I am looking forward to experiencing in the future. Yours are well deserved.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Return to “Power Boats”