Re: Rampage update 2019 - Final year?!

Post by Evan »

Nice looking boat.

I really like the contrast on the deck.

Denon Osterman

Post by Denon Osterman »

Hey everyone,

OK, another productive weekend come and gone (and thanks for the kind words Evan)! See below on the todo list...I decided to leave two items (velcro seats to benches, and mount in engine accessories) until after the launch when I mount the engine. That being said, I did get some more work done from the weekend ahead, namely filling all of my screw holes with epoxy (but have not yet sikaflex'd anything), and mounting my garbord plugs (but not yet my bilge pumps).

I've also done a huge amount of research into finishes and am nearly ready for my week off, when I will be spraying the entire hull with the top coat. I'll leave the details for that week but I'm glad to finally feel confident in my decisions here!

(This weekend)
- rubber feet for floors - DONE
- Velcro seats to benches, backrests - waiting until after launch
- Lock benches to stringers, including V notches for forward / backwards movement - DONE
- mount bow, stern eyes and cleats / steps / bumpers - DONE
- Mark true waterline - DONE
- sand off transom varnish for LPU coating - DONE (?)
- Trim benches for clearence between stringers - DONE
- Measure for shifter, steering wheel - DONE
- mount in engine accessories including oil, cooling, etc - waiting until after launch

(July long weekend)
- sand and final epoxy the exterior
- sand and epoxy the interior including benches, backrest, stringers
- plug screw holes with epoxy, plug other holes with epoxy / 3D printed cylinders, sikaflex everything - HALF DONE
- put in two bilge pumps and garboard plugs somehow - HALF DONE

(Week off / Second week of July)
- Sand and paint bottom to true waterline
- finish interior with LPU including sanding, spraying
- finish exterior with LPU including sanding, spraying
- sand off and mount rub rail
- lettering and flag

(Misc / can do during the week)
- cast and mount backrest holds, flag pole stuff
- design and fabricate shifter, steering wheel, fuel tank fill plates, cav plates
- design / build shifter mount
- design and cut and mount front / rear banding, stainless trim

The big news this past weekend was getting the hardware on. Got my bow eye, deck steps, cleats, bumper mounts, etc all mounted in.
IMG_20190622_160313.jpg
The deck steps, cleats, and bumper cleats follow a symmetric / even spacing pattern. All of the holes were over drilled, filled with thickened epoxy, and then will be drilled through the epoxy so that there's no exposed wood. Then once everything is sanded down and the holes are re drilled I'll clear coat, and then mount the hardware.
IMG_20190623_134201.jpg
The benches also got their feet mounted on, and the benches and stringers were drilled for bolts / polypropylene tube, similar to the engine mounts. The bolts are embedded in epoxy in the stringers so that just the threaded area pokes out. The tube are epoxied into the benches, and mate with the bolts - you can then fasten the benches down using two nuts to hold them in place in nearly every dimension. Once the entire interior is epoxied and clear coated, the bench will get rubber supports under both the feet and the stringers, to dampen any forces from hitting waves, etc.

There are a ton more pictures of the bow eye getting mounted, sizing 3D prints for when I cast them for flagpole stuff, and marking the true water level - so if anyone is curious let me know. Otherwise that's it for now, and I'll keep everyone updated through the long weekend as I get everything ready for clear coating...and then the launch!

Thanks,

-Denon

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Making progress Denon. So much to do yet, but I can imagine the excitement levels building. Wish I was further along, but glad to see yours getting to the launch stage. I would be interested in the 3D printing effort you mentioned. At some far distant point, I want to make a "T" mast with integrated light fixture and metal fairings at the "T" junction. Haven't been able to come up with a plan for that yet, but 3D printing might work.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Hi Dennon - you have been making a ton of great progress!!!

I dig the todo list; keep it up and you will make your deadline and have a boat that you made on the water! how cool is that!
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Denon Osterman

Post by Denon Osterman »

Oh man, less than a week to the launch...free time is near zero. Took the week off work to work on the boat, and I can't remember the lsat time I was doing 14 hour days at anything!

The good news I am on schedule to spray tomorrow and launch on Saturday. As of me typing this, I have finished sanding - forever - on the hull. I'm sure I'll end up doing some touch up sanding work on the seats / floors, which are removeable (and may get sprayed another weekend), but BOY is it nice to finally be "done" as they say!

I'm also midway through casting my custom parts - flag pole accents and seat mounts, as well as my shifter knob. I'll do a separate post on the casting process if everything works out, and another post on the spraying, and another post on the launch itself...just so I can take over the forum as much as possible :D
IMG_20190623_213635.jpg
This is me fitting the 3D printed investments to the flagpole. It's nearly impossible to get a "perfect fit"...but if I just heat up the 3D prints with boiling water, they're just soft enough to form to fit. So i did that, let them cool and harden, and now they're a perfect fit! Not shown are the multiple layers of wax paper I used to actually form them...they shrink a bit when cast, so i wanted them oversized.
IMG_20190630_155255.jpg
This is one of the moulds itself. Not much to look at...but hopefully when it's done it will be!

Oh yeah, I also weighed my hull - "bare" but with the pump (no seats, engine, floors, hardware, rigging, etc - just the hull) I came out to around 850 lbs. Not bad! The design weight is 750 but I've stretched 2', raised 4", overbuilt pretty much everywhere, and fully fiberglassed the outside and encapsulated the inside...and the pump is 90 lbs. I thought it would be heavier, to be honest.
IMG_20190707_114340.jpg
It's pretty freaky seeing the boat hanging in air like that, and freakier still crawling underneath it to sand / spray it...but i did the math and there's a pretty serious factor of safety. The winch is 2000 lb, the line is 1400 lb, and the hull is 600 lb...so I should be fine.

(continued in part 2)

Denon Osterman

Post by Denon Osterman »

(continued from part 1)

That being said, I've realized that I've actually re finished *every single surface of this damn boat* - no wonder it's taking ten years! The deck was the worst, with the full strip to bare wood, but the sides required me to fully strip my varnish so the 2K urethane will hold, and the bottom (which was painted with 1 part urethane) had to be scuffed with 80 grit. ugh. I know in 5 years where it still looks good as new I'll be thankful, but right now my shoulders are really regretting this!

That being said, It feels AMAZING to be done the sanding! It's the one part of the building I don't like...it just seems so tedious and monotonous.

Here's a shot of sanding off the varnish - it clearly shows where I "break through" the varnish to the epoxy. Honestly, this wasn't that terrible - only took about 6 hours to do the entire sides / bottom.
IMG_20190707_125949.jpg
The lighter patchier stuff on the left is the varnish, and the nice darker area on the right is the uncovered epoxy, ready for spraying.

Last but not least, the deck...I know it's somewhat sacrilige to use a random orbit sander and belt sander on the final surface sanding, but combined with the long board to "check" your progress, I managed to get the whole thing perfectly flat and smooth in about 4 hours. It may not end up being mirror quality flat but I'll live - It's nearly impossible to make any real progress with the longboard on epoxy, so what I did was belt sand in one direction (x) and then long board in the other (y) to check flatness (any low spots created by the belt sanding would not register when I long boarded). Then, I'd use the RO to flatten out the high spots and get everything "un marked"...repeat. A very light touch with the power sanders and constant motion helped an awful lot, and when I was done getting things flat I switched between the longboard and random orbit to step up to the recommended 150 grit finish.

Here it is right at the start...(note that the "left" side has an extra pass at this point)
IMG_20190708_123658.jpg
...and right at the end! (now the viewers "right" side has the final pass, the left still shows longboard marks)
IMG_20190708_141440.jpg
Anyways, that's it for now...and maybe this thread, though I'll notify and summarize on here when I spray, cast, and launch (which will be posted in different forum areas)

P.S. I apologize for not replying to anyone else but, between the "set in stone" launch date of the boat and my co-founder leaving our business last week, life's been even more hectic than normal for me...and writing this post has already taken me through my whole "break" I gave myself to recover from sanding before I clean everything to get ready for spraying tomorrow. I'll get back to you all soon, I promise!

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Hang in there Denon. Launch, then relax!
Carl

Clipper Boating

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Everyone hates sanding. It's a rite of passage. You might want to put in ejector seats. That boat is going to FLY at the power/weight you're going to end up at.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

How exciting! I'm really looking forward to your next posts, Denon. All that hard work will pay off...

Denon Osterman

Post by Denon Osterman »

Alright, I'm back, kinda, sorta!

Boy, what an eventful month it's been. Work is still going crazy so I'm still totally strapped for time - not sure what's going to happen on that front quite yet, unfortunately.

The good news is I got the two part done (Sort of) and the casting done (sort of) and the boat in the water (sort of) and the engine is underway (actually!)

A lot of "sort of"s for sure - here's the brief rundown. Sometime in the near future - maybe even throughout this week - I'll get individual posts done on all 4 of the above. But the quick summary on each one is below:

Two Part finish
Boy, spraying stuff is fun and scary all at once. The bottom went on flawlessly - and has held up well for the whole day it's been in the water so far ;) . The top and sides were a bit of a different story - I'm not sure why but somehow when I sprayed the clear, it didn't work. It came out perfectly smooth...but satin, not gloss. I spoke with the company I bought the finish from and we worked through a system of what could have gone wrong. Ultimately I decided to roll on another, final coat, which is so far VERY glossy...but looks kinda crappy given it was rolled and not sprayed. Ah well, can't win em all. I'll likely buff later this week, at which point I'll give my final review and disclose what I ended up using! No pics on this one yet.

Casting
2nd time is almost the charm! Roughly half of my casts came out "good enough" that I could clean up and only needed some grinding and polishing to clean up. The other half, I'll have to re do, but I know what went wrong. Teaser pic below of my shift knob - which is the first one to get the full polish treatment, and which I'm very excited by. I may finish posting all about the casting later this week given I "know the whole thing" now and have real confidence in getting the last few pieces, but boy was that exciting to finally "figure out" and get some real, workable casts. Mostly unrelated, but I also made some good progress on polishing things like rub rails, cutwater, etc - all of which I've made myself from scratch, using 6061 aluminium stock - see second pic below on that, with more details to come later in this thread when I get time. Unfortunately both the below photos are a bit blurry since they were taken with one hand on my phone...but hopefully you get the idea.
IMG_20190802_165759.jpg
IMG_20190729_201834.jpg
Engine underway
Short but sweet - it's at the machinist to get some cleanup. Very, very excited to get the machining finished so I can assemble it and drop it on the dyno (hopefully in the next few weeks - I want the "real launch" to be in August). Basically I wanted the block fully cleaned up and the rotating assembly internally balanced - the machinist is also doing some of the more difficult stuff like dropping in freeze plugs and cam bearings for the new cam. Otherwise I'll be doing the assembly, and then bringing it back to him for a dyno run or two before I drop it in the boat.

(Soft) Launch
IT FLOATS!!! WOOOOOO!!! I am so, so, SO excited about this. Follow up post below so I could get some more pictures in, but here's the big smiling group of people that got the hull in the water. We had to carry it from my shed in the woods at the back of the property to the water - out of the shed, across a small creek (~1 ft wide), over a small hill, spun it on the lawn (below pic), down another hill, over some rocks near the shore, and finally into the water...AND IT FLOATS! And I'm so, so happy. Ecstatic even. I can't stress how happy I am. Anyways, more on that below.
DSC_2566.JPG

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Keep it up Denon. You're getting close now. Boat looks fabulous. Nice crew.
Carl

Clipper Boating

Denon Osterman

Post by Denon Osterman »

(See part 1 above...) IT FLLOOAAATTSSS!

Man I'm excited. For a very long time we had to decide how to carry the boat down...it was quite an obstacle course. Ultimately I decided that carrying it by hand, on it's cradles, was the best idea. A trailer would have been very hard to maneuver through the woods, if not downright impossible, and we still would have had to carry it by hand from the shed to the trailer (the shed is about 4 feet off the ground with only stairs down). Ultimately it went incredibly smoothly and only took about 20 minutes...we'd carry it about 20 feet, set it down and re asses, and then move forward. Many hands make light work! I bought everyone a keg of beer as thank you and we did a huge paella cookout on my friends point afterwords to celebrate. It's no exaggeration to say that, even though it was just a "soft launch", it was one of the greatest moments / evenings of my life.

Below, in order, are pics of a) how we carried the boat and why we had to carry it (boat straps, poles, shed in wood, etc) b) me sitting in the boat, literally ecstatic, c) the hull floating there - it's a little high as there's still some foam cushioning underneath it, and of course there's no engine yet.
DSC_2552.JPG
DSC_2601.JPG
IMG_20190713_170501.jpg
While it's not quite there yet, and I still have tons of posting to do, I'd be remiss if - at this critical milestone - I didn't give a huge, massive shoutout to everyone on the forum. Ten years is a really long time - over a third of my life so far - and yet I've received nothing but great advice that entire time from everyone here. Whether you helped me pick the design all of those years ago, or are still putting up with my $#!% now, THANK YOU!!! I quite honestly couldn't have done this without everyone here, and the support I've received along the way has been nothing short of world class.

Thank you!!!

-Denon

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Congratulations Denon on the soft launch. Definitely an important milestone. And man oh man, I can sure appreciate the sentiment about the amount of time. I at 7 years and I really want to get mine to water as well. I suspect it will be close to 9 years before I can launch, but we'll see.

It's nice to have a group of friends to help like that. And I am sure the party afterwards was fun. Those are the kind of parties I like, when there's a real reason to be throwing a party.

The boat looks beautiful in the sunlight. I am sure once you get it running, that the smile on your face is going to be permanent. :D :D
Carl

Clipper Boating

Denon Osterman

Post by Denon Osterman »

Hi Carl,

Boy you're quick! I didn't even notice the original comment. A motley crew for sure, but they got the job done :)

It was indeed a great party - always nice to have a real occasion to celebrate. Unfortunately the boat actually doesn't look as good as it could there. As I dig more into the finish coming out...less than perfect, I'm 90% sure what happened has to do with my spraying setup. Long story short, the whole hull is a dusty, matte grey...instead of the beautiful shiny wood it should be. The below pic shows what happens if you wet it with water (at the time)...what a difference. I'm hoping by the end of this week it should look like that permanently, and without the subtle cloudiness. I'll start a thread on spraying 2 part once finished to flesh out the details but want to make sure I've actually figured it out before I start off on wild tangents :P

In the pic below the middle shows it "under water", glossy and a nice almost purple stain. The edges are that weird grey matte finish that shows up in the other pics :( here's hoping I can fix it - halfway there right now, I hope.
IMG_20190713_170756.jpg
Cheers,

-Denon

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal »

Congratulations Denon! :D

The boat is quite unique with its curved coaming and contrast of dark and light stains. She's going to get lots of attention at the dock.

Return to “Power Boats”