What to do with all the leftovers.....?? build or sell,,,looking for ideas

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

kens

What to do with all the leftovers.....?? build or sell,,,looking for ideas

Post by kens » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:59 pm

I am retiring and going onto a fixed income. I'm cleaning out the garage and shed, I got too much leftovers from the Double Eagle and canoe build.
You guys chime in please, and give me ideas what to do with this stuff. Maybe I sell it for little money, maybe I scratch together a scrap box boat of some kind.
Here is what I got to either work with, or, sell off.
1. Mercruiser 250cu.in. inline-6 marine, with both I/O and VelvetDrive bellhousings
2. VelvetDrive 71c 1:1 gear
3. ZF 45a down angle 1.5:1 gear
4. 7 sheets BS1088 3/8" ply
5. 4 sheets 1088 1/4" ply
6. a strut from something, will accept 1 1/4" shaft and 14" dia prop as is
7. lots of sandpaper
8. a very good supply of quarter sawn-book-matched Sapele 4/4 boards
9. numerous boards of clear Western Red cedar
10. numerous boards of western red cedar cut already into canoe strips
11. a nice length of 1" shafting

If anybody wants something, make a offer I cannot refuse

I thought about a boat build that I do not need. Something long and skinny to go along with a inline-6 engine. Remember the old Chris-Crafts had a inline-6 flathead.? Something narrow in the beam and long on waterline. What build could 7 sheets of 3/8 and 4 sheets of 1/4".?
If, I resawed some of the Sapele and cedar, I suppose I could build a cold-mold.
Since we already saw a Double-Eagle stretched out to 30', what about stretch out a Tiny-Mite out to 17' ?
What about a Biscayne-19 laminated with Sapele and cedar?
What is the narrowest beam cold-mold, that could be stretched?

But then, I'm retiring, looking to do more fishing. What about a sloppy ole' slab-sided Florida Mullet skiff, with the shortest strut available, the littlest prop, shallowest draft, a inboard version of the venerable duck boat....?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

psychobilly

Re: What to do with all the leftovers.....?? build or sell,,,looking for ideas

Post by psychobilly » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:43 pm

I like the mullet boat idear!!

Go for it!!!

ian bell

Post by ian bell » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:00 pm

Hi Ken. Here in Australia when we retire we join an Australian Men's Shed association. There are sheds all over Australia , we bring a lot of knowledge with us and help other members doing different projects. Most of the items in the shed, machinery and wood have been donated. We have metal worker's, carpenters, IT, boiler makers , cnc operators, spray painter,fibre glass workers ,wood and metal lathes , band saws , scroll saws, bench and dropsaw's ,planers and thicknesers. The AMSA was originally set up after Vietnam for mental health and depression of the returned soldier's. the AMSA has branched out to NZ ,UK ,Ireland and the USA . Happy Retirement.
Ian

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:46 am

Sounds like a boat to build to me :D. All depends on how fixed your income is I suppose though.

I like the idea of the men's shed idea. Maybe you could get another generation interested in boat building. Create a non profit organization or something.

They say that being socially active in retirement is key to living a happy healthy life.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:06 am

Milhouse wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:46 am
.... <snipped> ...
I like the idea of the men's shed idea. Maybe you could get another generation interested in boat building. Create a non profit organization or something.

They say that being socially active in retirement is key to living a happy healthy life.
There is such an outfit in Port Aransas that does this exact thing. People come in there and build smaller boats under the instruction of seasoned individuals who donate their time to the facility. It's a small run affair , I believe a non profit and is associated with the Aransas Museum. They are also a sponsor of the Plywooden Boat Festival in Port Aransas. Pretty cool place.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Return to “Power Boats”