Florida Malahini Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

altondavid

Florida Malahini Build

Post by altondavid » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:23 pm

My dad and I decided a while back to build a Malahini together, though to be honest 98% of the work being done is coming from my dad (he’s on the forum under the alias Hogwild). He retired a couple of years ago and has taken up boatbuilding as a hobby. Before taking on the Malahini, he’d built a small child sized plywood runabout for my niece and nephew and an Ampeater for my sister. Prior to retiring, my dad owned his own painting and carpentry business and he had even spent a little bit of time in the 80s working on boats. Suffice it to say, he knows his way around a shop much better than I do. The build is taking place in my dad’s shop, and he puts in a few hours here and there when he can and I come up on random weekends to lend a hand when I can (I live a couple of hours away).

When we were kicking around ideas for the build we settled on the Malahini because of size (16 foot is about the biggest boat that could easily fit in the shop), our perceived ease of using an outboard design (figured it would be easier, and neither of us is much of a mechanic), and we just couldn’t resist the lines on the Malahini. We live on the east coast of Florida, so we figure we’ll be able to ride it in the intercoastal waterways here as well as some of the inland waterways that abound here in Florida.

The build started back in May of 2018, and has been progressing slowly but steadily. I’ve been lurking on the forum since we started and it’s been a great resource for us as we’ve had some questions along the way. I figured now would be a good time to share some pictures of our build progress and share it with the rest of the community.

altondavid

Re: Florida Malahini Build

Post by altondavid » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:39 am

One of the advantages we have had with this build has been my dad’s shop. He has two units side by side in an industrial complex from his working days and he’s got pretty much all the tools you need at his disposal. Tools and lumber are kept in one, and the other is where the boat is assembled.
So we purchased the plans, acquired some meranti marine ply, fasteners/hardware, lots of epoxy, and sapele for the frames.

Got the strong back set up square and level and the shop laid out for the build. And then it’s off to the races with the frames. For the most part the frames go pretty easy, as the plans are pretty explicit on everything and there isn’t much thinking that has to be done. I’ll post some pics up with the next post which I think means I get to take the forum training wheels off.

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:55 am

Welcome, sounds like a good father-son project.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

altondavid

Post by altondavid » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:39 am

Thanks Jim.

We end up venturing a bit off plan with the transom though.

I would like to be able to tow a tube or water skier with some full grown adults in the boat, and based on what some other folks have said on the forum and some recommendations from some boating friends I settle on a Yamaha 70hp 4 stroke for power. That engine weighs a bit over 250lbs, which we figure is a bit heavier than the outboard Glen L had in mind with the original design, so like a few before us, we decide to beef up the transom a bit just to be safe.

me, my dad, the strong back, and a frame
me, my dad, the strong back, and a frame
Attachments
the bones of the boat
the bones of the boat
Stem/breasthook
Stem/breasthook

altondavid

Post by altondavid » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:41 am

Here's some more shots of attaching the chine and battens
Chine / teaser of more clamps to come
Chine / teaser of more clamps to come
Attachments
hadnt quite trimmed the battens yet, but you get the point
hadnt quite trimmed the battens yet, but you get the point

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:14 am

Welcome to the forum. Great picture of you and your Dad. I expect working on this project together will build great memories for a lifetime (in addition to a boat).

I think a beefed up transom is always a good idea. By the way, if I build another boat, I'm also going to increase the transom angle to around 17 degrees because you have almost limitless range to trim out the motor to compensate, but a lower transom angle limits how much you can trim in.

altondavid

Post by altondavid » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:47 am

Hadn't thought about it that way - we were mostly concerned with making the motor install as easy as possible so once we figured out the transom angle from the plans was within the recommended range we plowed ahead.

Next up it was time to get the plywood hull on the boat. The meranti sheets came with the option for a puzzle joint, which absolutely tickled my dad, because we were not looking forward to joining the plywood. He had been bouncing around scarf ideas and was happy to simply reinforce the puzzle joint instead.
Puzzle Joint
Puzzle Joint
Joined plywood sheets
Joined plywood sheets
more clamps
more clamps

altondavid

Post by altondavid » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:49 am

The hull ends up not quite perfect so my dad spends a ton of time fiberglassing and sanding to get the boat fair. We still end up with a slight flat spot with the puzzle joints, but it’s not that off. Also, since we’ve decided to plank the boat we figure we’ll fair it more through that process.
IMG_0976.JPG
IMG_0993.JPG
Fiberglassing
Fiberglassing

altondavid

Post by altondavid » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:50 am

More shots of the fiberglassing/fairing process
IMG_1112.JPG
Attachments
trying out some color
trying out some color

altondavid

Post by altondavid » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:24 am

We got some beautiful boards from a local cabinet supplier. We had originally been planning on putting ¼ inch planks on, but after taking stock we figure out we’ve got enough lumber to do a 3/8 inch bookmatch plank job. Our line of thinking was that the thicker lumber will give us more options down the ride if/when it comes time to sand out any imperfections or deal with any damage in the future – and it also seemed like such a waste to plane down that extra 1/8 inch.
boards with one of the plank templates laid out
boards with one of the plank templates laid out
The aftermath of planing
The aftermath of planing
bonus transom planks
bonus transom planks

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:34 am

Bending and twisting those 3/8” thick planks will argue with you some at the bow but you’ll make it happen.
Keep us posted,
Matt B

altondavid

Post by altondavid » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:24 pm

You are definitely right about that Hercdrvr.

We had a heck of time getting the boards on, and if he had to do it over again we wouldnt have gone over 1/4 inch. Here's a few pics of the process - you can see we're applying pressure in just about any way we can.
First plank
First plank
IMG_1456.JPG
Bow joint
Bow joint

altondavid

Post by altondavid » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:32 pm

We benefiting from having the boat near walls so we were able to apply pressure by wedging boards/shims coming off the wall in addition to using clamps to pull the boards both towards the hull and down to the seams. Had to spend quite a bit of time working the boards into place, but you can start to see the payoff.
clamps on clamps
clamps on clamps
IMG_1792.JPG
IMG_1793.JPG

altondavid

Post by altondavid » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:35 pm

More of the planking process. As we got farther away from the topside, it gets more difficult to clamp the planks down and tight. You can start to see the book match in these photos as well
IMG_1814.JPG
IMG_1874.JPG
IMG_1875.JPG

altondavid

Post by altondavid » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:41 pm

Next up is bungs. My dad takes an old school approach with them - instead of using a dremel or multitool he just whacks them off with a chisel and mallet.
making the bings
making the bings
Installed, before they're trimmed down
Installed, before they're trimmed down
You can see the finished product here in the aft section of the planking
You can see the finished product here in the aft section of the planking

Return to “Power Boats”