Outrage progress

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Ga-Steve

Re: Outrage progress

Post by Ga-Steve »

In a turmoil about the seats. If I use the seats shown on the plans, I’ll only have 7 to 8” of leg room from the seat to the dash. The seat from frame #2 extends 23”. In John’s build( the one I’ve studied at length), he used back to back seats with plastic frames. So far, I have sent 2 emails to seat manufacturers with no replies. I was on the way to get a sheet of 3/4” ply to make some when my wife said I just needed to buy ready made ones. If I make them myself, I’ll have to modify the seats. I know my legs will have to go up under the dash but I am really worried about leg room getting into the seat. Likewise, the back seat, your knees will almost be hitting the motorwell. Thoughts welcomed. Thank you, Steve
Attachments
5E3FD4DD-7C9A-41CE-A541-A3E835FAAE21.jpeg
494A040C-B22A-41A9-827E-9DB9273C9A9E.jpeg

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

I wouldn't expect to get a reply from any manufacturers.

I suggest to make mockups with cardboard and a hot glue gun. It works really good to get an idea if something is going to work or not. And they are easy to adjust. You can even staple the cardboard.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Ga-Steve

Post by Ga-Steve »

Perfect. Darn good idea!

TomB

Post by TomB »

Steve,

These guys have lots of seats. www.greatlakesskipper.com/boat-seating- ... at-seating Study the pictures and write-ups closely, "shelf rash" and scuffs can be an issue.

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

Ga-Steve

Post by Ga-Steve »

Drain plugs??? The way the transom knee and the transom bolt up, you will have to have 2 drain plugs. One on either side of the knee. Is that what everybody does?

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian »

that's what I did. I didn't get the angle quite right so they are a little high on the inside, perhaps an inch above the bottom of the bilge. With hindsight I am not sure I would do them again (or perhaps I would do them properly next time..).

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

I have one drain plug on the port side of the keel. It works just fine. Any excess water on the other side of the keel can easily be sopped up with a towel if need be
Matt

Ga-Steve

Post by Ga-Steve »

I have been dreading this for a week. It wasn’t quiet at the lowest but almost. I have both plugs and got some 3M 5200 today. Got the tubes cut. Now, to flare the non-flared end. I saw a video today where someone had O-rings on each end of their tubes🤷‍♂️. We’ll see hopefully tomorrow. Did ya’ll anneal the tube?
Attachments
73AF265A-0670-4D6B-B382-AC161A3EDFAE.jpeg

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Feels good to get a stressful part behind you, right?! Nothing like drilling holes in a boat hull
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Ga-Steve

Post by Ga-Steve »

Still have not decided what to do with the center section of the deck. Paint or some kind of veneer. The side section I was going to paint. Steve
Attachments
C3E6C334-D5A8-4C4D-AF94-1C677F5C1819.jpeg

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

I'm not sure but it would be cool if it was at least a different color.
Matt

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Veneering on planks is not really that hard but it does take some time and money, you will need to epoxy and varnish it as well.

I think it is the best look.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Steve, I did anneal my tubes before installing. I didn't use o-rings, just 4200 and crimping die from West Marine. If you want, I will lend it to you. I'll send it, if you pm me your address. I'll need it back when I do my splash well tubes.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

Ga-Steve

Post by Ga-Steve »

Thanks so much for the offer Bryon but I also ordered that tool. I did anneal, did not use O-rings and I used the 3M 5200. Finished it up Monday afternoon. Thanks for ya’lls replies.
Some of the biggest hurdles, for me, was the transom, Chine bending(should have laminated-hindsight) and now this center section of the deck. I lost sleep on this. Instead of laminating individual planks, I liked the look of sheet veneer. I tried resawing on my band saw but even with a new resawing blade, I could not get a straight cut. I had originally planned on 1/8” planks but I had to go a different route.
This paper-backed veneer fought me the whole way. This Ga humidity is something else. It would curl up during the night. Had to get my brother come help. It turned out looking 99%.I will probably do a little strip down the seem. That was the 1%. I have one coat of epoxy on. The varnish came in yesterday. The little side pieces of the deck will be painted white.
Attachments
09A6638A-B916-4A57-A340-A88C4476829E.jpeg
3084EBFB-E765-4030-8FF4-2CEEFC3E7E18.jpeg

keenancr1

Post by keenancr1 »

For chine, are you saying in hindsight you would have done two layers laminated? Im close to doing my chines and have been considering it.

Your post on the interior seats is from last month so you may have already had a solution, but if you are looking at back to back seats, that is the setup in the stiletto, with the two boats being very similar its probably an easy swap.

Return to “Power Boats”