Outrage progress

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Ga-Steve

Re: Outrage progress

Post by Ga-Steve »

Yes on the chines. Don’t know the material you are using bit bending 1” thick oak was not fun. The sheer on the other hand was not too bad.

I have not done the seats. That might be coming up soon. Been looking for a motor. The Stiletto is what I have been looking at for the deck. There are several nice boats with different seat configurations there. Steve
Last edited by Ga-Steve on Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

A stripe of paint down the center of the deck would hide that seam as well.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Ga-Steve wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:22 am
I tried resawing on my band saw but even with a new resawing blade, I could not get a straight cut. I had originally planned on 1/8” planks but I had to go a different route.
The trick is to block sand on a straight edge it until there is no gap. Then blue tape the seam tight (pull the tape so its acts like a little clamp) before gluing it down. A piece that large is indeed really-really hard to work with. At least you got it down flat! I like Matt's idea to hide the seam with a stripe.
Ga-Steve wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:22 am
I have one coat of epoxy on. The varnish came in yesterday.
Don't rush the varnish, you should wait at least 2 or 3 weeks after your last coat of epoxy or the varnish won't cure. Maybe 2 part would work sooner but I would not want to rush it after my screw up with 1 part before. The epoxy needs to cure either way I'm pretty sure. Happened to me on my dash, had to strip it all down and start over, SUCKED!!!

Here is a thread on it: https://www.glen-l.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... 13&t=31269
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Ga-Steve

Post by Ga-Steve »

Thanks Jim for the tidbits of info.
I did what you said Sunday. I wrestled around in the carport with it cause it was the only place big enough and flat enough. I planed and sanded the edge then butterflied the seam. This pic showed it before I laminated it. Thing is, I must have pulled the two half's to tight. By in the morning, it was starting to wrinkle like they were fighting against each other. My brother and I decided to undo the tape and just do each side separately. The sheets will wrinkle in the blink of an eye if not weighted down. Steve

The “ varnish” I mentioned is really 2part clear from the Glen-L store. System 3 or something like that.
Attachments
B1377064-6151-407E-A0BB-8534CBB5FFD3.jpeg

Ga-Steve

Post by Ga-Steve »

2 days... used about every tool I had. Had to soak the 1/4” ply to get it to bend. Hopefully the 2nd one will go a little quicker. I will not secure until the carpet is down but don’t want to put the carpet down until I am finished gluing and painting. Looks like the floor needs to continue aft. Steve
Attachments
2DCE76FF-27DE-4382-9541-ADF5D71D7491.jpeg

Ga-Steve

Post by Ga-Steve »

How do you guys do the deck to hull transition? The instructions say to lay fiberglass over the edge but I painted the hull before the flip. Will fiberglass adhere to the paint or will that have to be removed? I am planning on a rub rail of some sort and that side decking will be painted white to match the hull. Just in the dark here needing advice. I have not glued and nailed yet. Thanks for any help, Steve
Attachments
14F21E17-3A41-46C0-8D6E-FD7ABD6252E7.jpeg

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian »

for what its worth - on a malahini - I just made sure the deck plywood edges were well covered in thickened epoxy and regular epoxy, then I positioned the rub rail so that it hid this. I didn't use cloth over the edge.

Ga-Steve

Post by Ga-Steve »

Could you post a pic please? And thank you for the reply. Steve

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian »

Hi Steve. Photo below - (before rub rail) - the easier part for me is that I had an additional layer of ~3/8" mahogany on top of the ply...so I don't know that this will be useful for you.
IMG_4889.jpg

keenancr1

Post by keenancr1 »

I was looking at some completed stilettos and had noticed a rail/trim around it as well. Probably useful for same thiing, covering deck to hull transition
Attachments
Screenshot_20200730-113234_Chrome.jpg

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

I used half round rubber from Wefco mfg http://www.wefcorubber.com/extrusions_i ... rounds.asp Much easier to install and cheaper than stainless steel. I couldnt get 1" SS rub rail to follow the sheer, the elevation changes and twist up forward were too much.
20180516_074328.jpg

Ga-Steve

Post by Ga-Steve »

Thanks guys. I like the half-round rubber idea.

I have been waiting on my steering wheel assembly from Glen-L so I have not made my dash yet. Apparently it has been back ordered. The clear gloss and another quart of white 2 part paint came in. The center section is sanded waiting on the clear gloss. The wood around the cockpit will be painted clear, as well. Came across a good deal on a motor. But will have to be rewired. I had to change directions on the motor. The money I had been sitting on for the motor ended up going toward my wife’s cataract surgeries. Hence the older motor. Still going to put something down the center seam on the dash. Just have not figured out what Steve
Attachments
6B09CF97-9F33-44C2-87BC-F63B3B92C813.jpeg
FF8DDB33-31BC-405E-A2A3-2E6AF0DE32E6.jpeg

Ga-Steve

Post by Ga-Steve »

Getting real discouraged. I have been at a standstill on the boat. I have had the steering wheel and assembly ordered since July the 2nd. I have been thinking of calling Glen-L and cancelling the order and just going to a junk yard. But you always get what you pay for. Where did you guys get your steering? Glen-L?
I have been staying busy rewiring the motor. About ready to give it a try. Got some muffs ordered and waiting on an impeller cup. The current cup had shifted or it was installed wrong. 91% humidity today. Boy oh boy! Steve
Attachments
AA4EDE27-D0B6-4B90-9388-6E3611F5500C.jpeg

footer

Post by footer »

Got mine on amazon. You can get steering systems on eBay too.

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Defender, Jamestown, wholesale marine, etc.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Return to “Power Boats”