Riviera seaworthiness?

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Rick Moss

Riviera seaworthiness?

Post by Rick Moss » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:45 am

Hi all, thanks for allowing me to join you!

I’m ordered a set of Riviera plans; I love the design and look forward to cracking on with the build... but... I intend to use it in the Mediterranean French Riviera. I’m wary that all the videos I’ve seen in my months of research show them on smooth lakes. Whilst the Med is sometimes mill-pond flat, it’s also often really quite choppy and worse. How seaworthy is a Riviera going to be with the low freeboard and significant weight? It’s far from unusual for me to have to slow our current 6m RIB down to 15-18kts to stop the slamming from the waves.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

footer

Re: Riviera seaworthiness?

Post by footer » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:47 am

I would think that's a good fit for that area. I see a lot of pics of them in rougher waters. Maybe there are riviera owners in that area that could answer that. I would suggest putting on spray rails. I take a lot of spray over the bow in my Malahini (low freeboard boat) and those in the back may get lap full of water in a hard side hit of a wave.

Rick Moss

Post by Rick Moss » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:07 am

Having had a bit of dialogue with the good people at Glen-L, their opinion is that I need something with a deeper V. There are very few vessels of the style I’m after with a deep-V hull, so I may need to alter the deck details on a more contemporary plan.

There is of course the ubiquitous Aquarama, but I’m not going to open the can of worms of scaling down such a design to circa 6.5m/20’ to meet my design needs!

acflynn

Post by acflynn » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:41 pm

I believe the Tahoe 23' (can be stretched to 24') has long been considered the closest Glen-L "equivalent" of the Riva, might be worth a look (and can be reduced down to 20' 6" if matching the Riviera length is a concern) . While the look isn't a spot-on match for the Riviera, it's still an elegant wood runabout, but with a higher freeboard, deeper V, and has the Riva-style transom. Plenty of Tahoe builders on the forum as well.

https://www.boatdesigns.com/23-Tahoe-cl ... ducts/884/

Good Luck!
Attempting a Mist Miss build in the Arizona Desert

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:29 am

Didn't someone here build a Tahoe or Riviera by grafting it to a deep-v fiberglass hull?

I've seen a few potential builders who looked at Glen L designs and wished they had a deeper V. Would it be possible to have a naval architect reshape a hull to a deeper V? I know the performance is different between a shallow planing hull and deep V, but it seems like Glen L is "missing the boat" in some cases.

I am not a naval architect, and don't play on on TV. I'm sure there are technical issues with messing with the shape of a hull, just not sure if it is possible to modify an existing design or if it is better to start from scratch?
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:27 am

Jimmy Y
That was Bob Smith. Search the Epiphany.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:02 pm

I get the appeal of deep vee and all. But a lightweight boat with a deep v is still just going to bounce on top of waves anyway. At least that's my thought. The heavier cold molded designs should be inherently more comfortable. We really need Dr Bryan to get his Modified Malahini in the water so we can do comparisons.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:30 pm

I'm shooting for next gathering, but it will be tight.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Rick Moss

Post by Rick Moss » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:12 am

Well, my Riviera plans have arrived in England remarkably quickly! Whilst I am now pretty certain that I will not build a Riviera, I'm certainly happy to have the plans and learn more about the construction to approach whatever project I do end up building from a more knowledgeable position. I'm perfectly happy to purchase another set of plans, as I'm sure that buying the wrong plans will be one of the cheaper mistakes I will make in this mission!

As mentioned, my current boat is a Zodiac Medline ~6m RIB with an Evinrude Etec 75 up its' back end. It is a very well laid out vessel, and serves our purposes admirably, although it is not pretty and I have no sentimental attachment to it; hence why I would like to build a replacement. I want to build.

What I need from a boat:

1: Suitable for operation in the Mediterranean; able to remain comfortably on the plane in 1-2' of chop and safe at displacement speeds in 4' of swell.
2: Able to carry 5 adults.
3: Able to fit in a 6.5m garage when on it's trailer.
4: Internal storage for spearfishing gear, safety kit, cooler and a small kicker outboard (I don't believe in reliance on a single source of power when at sea).
5: Can be built to a high standard with a materials/equipment budget of up to £40k (approx $50k, but considering that most stuff is more expensive here, call it $40k!)

Can any Tahoe 19/20' operators share their experiences on this, particularly the ability to handle a less-than-smooth sea state?

Thanks all.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:06 pm

I think the closest you are going to get within that size limitation is going to be the Roustabout. Deep v hull with lift strakes. You can veneer the topsides just like the others and make it look however you want. You can stretch it 10% if 17 feet is not enough.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:16 am

Rick

I'm running a 20'-6" Tahoe 19. It does fairly well in 1' to 2' seas. I haven't had it in 4' swells. Butch Barto has had his big Tahoe in 4 footers and said the boat did better than they did. My problem is big sport fishermen throwing a short duration 4' wakes. With the reverse transom on the Tahoes It will take a pretty large bracket to mount a kicker. There is some storage under the deck. You might think about building as a utility. The boat is plenty strong to be a utility. With an inboard the engine needs to sit about over the trailer axle. This makes the rear over hang long. My trailer is 27' long.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Power Boats”