Thinking about my next boat build.. a river cruiser?

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

CaptDave

Thinking about my next boat build.. a river cruiser?

Post by CaptDave »

I know I still have work to finish on the Amp Eater, (primarily the solar panels) but I can't stop myself from thinking about the boat I might build next...
I want to build something that my wife and I can live on for a few days at a time while cruising on a river. Not too big but large enough to have a composting toilet in it's own space, not under the v-berth. A small galley area, a cockpit with some sitting outdoors space.
Also something that will cruise with a small amount of horsepower and could be electric powered, have room for 20-30 KW hours of 18650 lithium cells (think Tesla style battery packs) and enough roof space for 800 watts or so of solar panels.
A tall order to fill, and maybe I'm just dreaming. Especially since my definition of not too big is not much over 20 ft long if any and not over 8 ft beam.
I have thought of stretching a Bo-jest to 20 ft and that is one possibility.
This bo-Jest has a door from the cockpit to the head
This bo-Jest has a door from the cockpit to the head
But I would like to have something with a bit more free board and a level sole all the way up to the v-berth with enough space to put the motor below deck without limiting use of cabin space right in the middle of it. All of that is not too much to ask is it?
Here is a sketch I have done based on a Glen-l design that I think fills the bill very nicely.
This 21 ft 9 in. displacement hull might just be the answer
This 21 ft 9 in. displacement hull might just be the answer
Any guesses about which design it is? Any thoughts about the practicality of it? Could I build something like this by the time I retire? (4-5 years)
Nothing but questions and dreams right now.
Capt. Dave
Builder of the Amp Eater Aquatron

Hercdrvr

Re: Thinking about my next boat build.. a river cruiser?

Post by Hercdrvr »

Hi Dave,
Is there a big difference between powering a 16ft boat and a 28 ft boat with electric propulsion? If the difference is negligible I would build as big as I could. With a little Honda 2000 watt generator and a couple gallons of gas couldn’t you run continuously. Sorry if I offended you by suggested gasoline on your boat.
Matt B

CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

Matt,
Not offended at all. I would bring a little insurance in the form of a small quiet generator as you suggest along on any trip taking more than 1 charge of the batteries. you never know how much sun or what electric you will find to plug into along the way. As far as size goes I am thinking about space to build and ease of trailering.
My mind is open to all ideas and thoughts. I am not opposed to gasoline, I just like to use as little as possible.
Capt. Dave

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D I think you're looking at the"Titan". I like the looks of the"Coaster" only without the mast and sail.I know its a little bigger(25ft)Maybe with a 9.9 outboard-high thrust like mine
IMG_1203[1].JPG
Iread a few blogs on the great loop and some prefer a large sailboat with the mast removed.just run on auxiary motor.guess theres a low bridge somewhere near Chicago on the route
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I like the idea of a river cruiser, especially if it can be electric. One thing to keep in mind is that a cabin boat is going to take longer to complete that a runabout style boat. There's just more to do and no getting around it. However, to my mind, cruising a river is the ultimate form of boating.

As for the composting toilet, there are some good articles on the net for creating one of these (with a urine diverter - a must have) rather than investing a ton of money in buying a pre-made one. Of course, the pre-made ones are nice and do have a more finished look. Also, at least some of them have probably had the benefit of working out the kinks.

I struggled with how to enclose my composting toilet for a long time, trying to come up with any number of complicated unfolding and sliding type enclosures in order to provide the privacy one would like to have. My wife came up with a a non nonsense easy solution. Simply have a draw curtain that can be pulled around. In our case, with the back of the cabin open, we will simply have a draw curtain to close off the cabin from the aft part of the boat. Simple and effective. This leaves the enclose for the toilet to be a simple box. Ours is a bit more complex in that I wanted double opening lids. One to access the bucket, and one to close off the box.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

Chug, no it's not a Titan. And I do like the looks of the coaster. My sketch shows an extended cabin where the plan I copied from only has an open wheel house. It doesn't appear too many people have built this model but plenty have built it's bigger brother.
And it only needs to 10 hp to cruise 6.5 mph.
Carl, I know a cabin boat is going to take a lot more time to build, but that is the dream.
I will keep in mind the curtain rather than building a walled enclosure but that may not be up to me. Those store bought composting toilets can be a bit pricey so I may look for a good home built plan when the time comes. It would be easy to upgrade later on.
Capt. Dave

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D After you flip the hull,the cabin parts are bigger so easy to make.The top took 3 full sheets-the hull is 20- sheets of 1/4 inch :D the coaster has a flat bottom.might be easier to build.I used to have a homemade composting toilet in "Chug".but after reading requirements in Ontario,got other toilet set-up.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Post by 283 »

How about the waterlodge?

A little boxy ;) but I don’t think you’ll find a 20’ boat with an 8’ beam with more cabin space. Or capacity for batteries and solar panels.

https://www.glen-l.com/designs/hankinso ... pho-1.html
Mike

CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

Mike 283, I have often thought about the Waterlodge especially after reading through "A Secret history of American River People". But I find that I want something more "boat" than "Shanty" if you know what I mean.

Gayle, I am surprised that I haven't seen more evidence of the Play'N Jane being built in the U.S. It looks like a great utilitarian size hull, not too big and bulky to be easily trailer-able and quite capable for all inland lakes, rivers and the inter-coastal waterways. Apparently it does well enough in the Mediterranean Sea for the boat builders in Malta. I think the Play'N Jane's listing under "work boat" probably sells it's versatility short. I don't think my sketch shows to much cabin for the hull ending at the second frame from the transom especially when compared to it's slightly larger sibling the Hercules. With the higher free-board and cockpit wall height I think the Play'N Jane might just be the ticket. What are your thoughts?
Play'N Jane built in Malta
Play'N Jane built in Malta
Capt. Dave

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

It’s perfect, let her rip Dave!
Matt B

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Dave,

I think the Play 'N Jane is a great choice for you and your cabin extension will make it much more comfortable. You have a point about the category too.

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Gayle, is the Play n Jane the same basic hull design as the Hercules? I bought the study plans for the Herc and was wondering if a vee berth would fit. The Jane has a vee berth.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Yes, Matt. The Play 'N Jane, Hercules & Noyo Trawler share the same patterns.

CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

Matt, to replace the front toilet room in the Hercules with a V-berth it looks like you would have to move the helm station back about 10-12 inches to give room. This would take away from the galley area also and you would lose your large rope locker. Most of us are not going to be carrying 500 ft of anchor line any way. It looks like the main difference in the hulls between the Herc and the Jane is that the frames are spaced about 3" further apart on the Herc. I was looking at the Play'n Jane for several reasons: a couple of feet shorter, front V-berth and single level deck from the helm back to the transom. The motor is completely below deck so no engine "hump" is necessary which allows for a little more freedom in cabin layout.
I do like the trawler look of the Hercules, but I think a more "walk through" cabin will be more practical for us.
Capt. Dave

Return to “Power Boats”