Some background on prep work to catch everyone up:
- Received plans from Glen-L in late September
- Built a "sanding tent" in my garage, using PVC pipe and thick visqueen:
- Sourced Doug Fir marine-grade plywood for gussets and floor timbers. This included renting a cargo van for the 92-mile round-trip journey to the ONLY supplier in Phoenix that had marine plywood thinner than 1/2". I realize that regular exterior could have been used once encapsulated, but I wanted the "foundation" to be as solid and sturdy as possible. (for Okume or Meranti marine plywood, it'll have to come from Southern California)
- Built a 4x8 mobile workstation, which is really 2 2x8 sections that can be made into a 2x16 bench, cinched tight with turnbuckles - this was based on someone else's idea on the forum (but unfortunately I can't recall who came up with it)
- Procured a band saw and table saw, and was gifted a router, router table, and shop vac thanks to a neighbor who was downsizing
- Picked up 45 board/feet of 4/4 Sapele (on sale!) - enough for 3 or 4 frames, and I'm limited in carrying capacity in my SUV
I had envisioned completing a full frame (mahogany, gussets, epoxy, fasteners) all at once, and then moving on to the next frame, but logistically that isn't going to work out, mostly due to available workspace. I essentially only have one vehicle spot (plus some spillover into the driveway itself). The next few workdays are going to be "frame member days", with plenty of bandsaw work. Then and only then can I move things around and bring in plywood for "gusset day" (with maybe breasthook and stem), and then maybe a combined "fastner/epoxy" session.
At least I was able to make cardboard templates of the frame 3 and 4 gussets. Also, I have ordered a combination disc/belt sander, which should be here before next weekend. I tried my finishing sanders (orbital and an old palm sander) to remove enough material to get up to my traced lines, but they just aren't able to remove enough material - it would take forever. I'm hoping the belt sander will assist in that.
So now after being a whopping 11.5 hours into the project, I'm really looking forward to it. I'm not sure how much time during the week I'll have, but I'm hoping to have the seven frames, transom, and stem/breasthook fully completed by the Christmas holiday, when I can then start assembly to the stringers. Then it'll start looking like a boat!
The Glen-L Forum has been great with words of wisdom and encouragement already. I'm glad to make the transition from "lurker" to "builder", but I know it'll be a long journey (but worth it) to "skipper"!