Hunky Dory Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Baron

Re: Hunky Dory Build

Post by Baron »

Due to Covid-19 The state of Pennsylvania has ordered a halt to all boat building in ones own garage. We're supposed to shack up in the basement until it all blows itself out.

At least that is how it seems when you read the order......

How is it in Oregon?

Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Life is pretty much the same for me....I am a self-employed wildlife biologist who mostly works on documents at home this time of year - so Im just working at home and working on the boat.

despite some heartache over inner and outer gunwale breakage. I completely understand why some wood boat builders closed their doors when they couldnt readily get their hands on premium wood selections ....especially stuff that will tolerate a turn. THe only stuff I have had so far that has been easy old reclaimed 20+ft 2x4's, or old tongue and groove flooring. So far I think I have broken 2 outer gunnels and 3 inner sheerclamps - all from clear fir
Attachments
IMG_3737.jpg

Baron

Post by Baron »

I sell Tulips and Daffodils and other Dutch Bulbs to Garden Centers. Since we also sell Potaoes and fruit we are allowed to keep shipping and selling from home by phone/internet.

I learned a new fact today when fishing. I stumbled upon some Bees in the middle of a massive ground hatch. With google I found that 70% of true Bees in the world live in the ground and only a few are aggressive (Cornell). I thought that might interest a biologist.

Anyway, did these pieces of fir break when bending them on? Try Alaskan Cedar as you should be able to get it out there. I think it is Chamaecyperous Nootkatensis. I wonder if you had soaked the fir in hot water if it would have been okay ?

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Are there that many people in PA building boats in their garages? That seems like such a strange thing to ban.

Baron

Post by Baron »

We here in PA pull legs. Seems you were a victim. I was pulling everyone’s leg. The truth that I made that statement in frustration as PA is pretty much closed down. I am hopeful for our country and look forward to rebuilding after this virus is gone.

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

For Pete's sake, Baron! No wonder my dad used to tease me all the time. Please forgive my gullibility! That's too funny.

Baron

Post by Baron »

That’s okay. Lighthearted times refresh is all. I’ll tell you about my daughter some day.

Goodell

Post by Goodell »

some progress - bow cover and gunnel cap complete. I added a knee to transition from the gunnel cap to the bow cover bulkhead. WIsh I had bought a lot more sil-bronze ring shank nails...anyway moving along.....
Attachments
IMG_3749.jpg
IMG_3753.jpg
IMG_3750.jpg

Goodell

Post by Goodell »

completed cover and gunnel cap
Attachments
IMG_3764.jpg
IMG_3757.jpg
IMG_3765.jpg

Baron

Post by Baron »

Nice

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Looking really good!
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

Baron

Post by Baron »

goodell the background view is reminiscent of when I build the drift boat last year. I built it not in an organized workshop but rather in an old horse shed with no built in electric or lighting. As I needed things I went and got them from whatever shop they were in and they kept accumulating until the build was done.
It was pounded into me, and so I must say, Mr. Branica, JR High shop teacher (1970), is yelling at you from the grave for leaving your Jack Plane blade down. 3 demerits. You stay after class to clean the shop.

When do you install the side boxes?

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian »

looking really fantastic...I have to say the dory is such a beautiful design.

Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Baron wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:17 am
goodell the background view is reminiscent of when I build the drift boat last year. I built it not in an organized workshop but rather in an old horse shed with no built in electric or lighting. As I needed things I went and got them from whatever shop they were in and they kept accumulating until the build was done.
It was pounded into me, and so I must say, Mr. Branica, JR High shop teacher (1970), is yelling at you from the grave for leaving your Jack Plane blade down. 3 demerits. You stay after class to clean the shop.

When do you install the side boxes?
I think your shop teacher would be yelling at you from the grave - for confusing a smoothing plane for a jack plane.;)

Baron

Post by Baron »

Uh Oh. You're right. He never seemed to have much hope for me. Great Looking Boat!

Return to “Power Boats”