Insurance

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Baron

Insurance

Post by Baron »

Has anyone had any trouble obtaining liability coverage for their home built boats.

Baron

Re: Insurance

Post by Baron »

Uh Oh. Does this mean that you're all running without ins. on your beautiful projects?

I so love to rummage through this website but a 61, and often around or on the water, I've yet to see a homebuilt boat recreating on the water.

I've wondered if it was because no one ever completes their project or if it means they can't insure it for use.

I really like the Pacific Dorys: Hunky and V-dory.

Would love to hear from someone about the legal points before I commit.

Best!

Baron

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian »

Hey there. I know there’s at least one thread on this - just do a search above using “insurance”. One recommendation was haggerty.

Biss

Post by Biss »

My Malahini is insured thru Hagerty. No problems at all getting it insured.

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Mine is insured through State Farm. There are a great many completed boats on the water.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Baron

Post by Baron »

As usual I was tongue in cheek :) . Just trying to get answers. I have seen homebuilts in Mystic ct., Newport, CT and under me(driftboat). I’ll take your advice and search more of the site and will dig around with State Farm, Hagerty and Boat US.
As usual u all rock. Thanks for the help.

Mark-NJ

Post by Mark-NJ »

I entered my boat in an ACBS show...but it turned out that participation required insurance. I called all the names you know, but as soon as I said "homemade"....*click*.

Then someone told me about Hagerty, and they were great! Remarkably affordable, too!

Baron

Post by Baron »

Hey thanks Mark. All I need is basic liability but I'd hate to be without it. Where do you boat in NJ.?

Mark-NJ

Post by Mark-NJ »

Hi Baron,

I called Hagerty, they asked about my boat, my boating experience, who'd be driving it, etc. I filled out a simple questionnaire, and they promptly got back to me with a VERY favorable quote. I'll PM you the details...

I live in NJ, and do some day-boating on Lake Hopatcong (same-day trailer in/out), but most of our summer boating is done on a big lake in central Maine. That *might* have something to do with Hagerty's favorable rates, as "hitting something" on our lake would require a considerable attempt on my part! The photo above tells the story: Big lake with almost nobody else on it!

Baron

Post by Baron »

Great Photo!

Mark-NJ

Post by Mark-NJ »

Thanks! I love it, too!

I really like the way the "texture of the water" was captured. My daughter took this with an iPhone. She said "speed up...slow down...little more...hold that! ...and captured the sun & the water & wake just perfectly! (The restored '57 Golden Javelin doesn't suck, either...IMO!)

Baron

Post by Baron »

No it doesn't. I'm an apple guy and am impressed with it but wife's android really handle light better. Very worthwhile.
Attachments
IMG_5210.jpg

Baron

Post by Baron »

Oh, top of Bay Bridge, Maryland.

Return to “Power Boats”