Dory Cabin Plans

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Baron

Dory Cabin Plans

Post by Baron » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:40 am

There are cabin plans available for Hunky Dory, Little Hunk, Chunky Hunk and more.

1)Are there Detailed Live Construction Photos of these somewhere online or on this forum?

2) Are they designed in such a way that they could be added later after using the boat as an open boat for a year or number of years?

Version D is most desired but any will do.

kens

Re: Dory Cabin Plans

Post by kens » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:49 am

1). I don't know of any posts specific to the dory cabins, but, you may find something by looking at builds of boats that use those cabins; Double Eagle for example. Look under the workboats section and you may find designs that utilize those cabins.

2). No doubt you can add the cabin later.

3). The cabin plans are all so very similar that any 1 plan is basically the same as the next.
version C is a stretched version of A
D is a hard top version of C
E is the pilothouse
B is the E pilothouse + (C or D) trunk cuddy.

The plans give you option of 2 different widths (with or without walk around)
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Baron

Post by Baron » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:04 pm

Ken, that broke it down in a logical way. I will keep searching until I better understand how they are structured and how they attach. Thanks a bunch.

kens

Post by kens » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:10 pm

the plans give you the joinery, and cabin dimensions for the Dory's.
I'm thinking that once you got the joinery, then you can adjust the width, length, height as you wish, pretty much.
The plans give you the frame differences between the different dorys.
The cuddy cabins all attach to the boats carling.
The pilot house attaches to the floor.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Goodell

Post by Goodell » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:53 pm

Baron wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:40 am
There are cabin plans available for Hunky Dory, Little Hunk, Chunky Hunk and more.

1)Are there Detailed Live Construction Photos of these somewhere online or on this forum?

2) Are they designed in such a way that they could be added later after using the boat as an open boat for a year or number of years?

Version D is most desired but any will do.
I wouldn't think you have any problem adding a cabin later. Although this is a V-dory it might be the better pictorial example of how someone did a cabin build - basically the same hull form.
https://boatbuilders.glen-l.com/v-dory- ... am-machala

Baron

Post by Baron » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:06 pm

This member did a fine job of course but I still can't figure wether I'd prefer a flat bottom or Vee.

On the East Coast we have a different philosophy. We don't look at a pile of sand and judge it to be something that we should motor into at full speed. Very very different than how you folks see it.

On the other hand, depending on where you're at, you might spent days and weeks in less than 2' of water. Ocracoke, Barnegat and IWC are my favorites.

So it is important to have relatively shallow draft but I will never see smooth pacific swells. Long Island sound is the worst I'll see and that is similar to SF Bay........pick the day....or head up the river.

Goodell

Post by Goodell » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:45 pm

yeah nice - the evolution of the beach launch and land did come from New England double-ended dories - but this motored evolution on the Oregon coast was due to the simple fact that there are extremely few navigable inlets, bays or harbors. A lot of the coast is a straight north-south beach and the inlets are usually characterized by a bar crossing that is far more dangerous than the surf itself. So that is kinda how it evolved. The bars kills so many people that folks realized if you can use a slightly protected spot on the beach, you can get in and out safer and get on fishing grounds that otherwise dont see a lot of pressure.

Baron

Post by Baron » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:30 pm

I agree with the philosophy. It can freak one out though. I was fishing on the Smith River on the Or/CA border 45 years ago and I heard this terrible noise that just kept getting louder and louder........It was the first Wooldridge styled Jet that I had ever seen and it freaked me out. That must be how it affects newbie surfers visiting the area when the boats come in. I used to hack around allot on Clam Beach, south of there. The pen holder on my desk is filled with agates from Agate Beech.
Here in Jersey the immigrants would row their heavy dories out in the morning and row as much as 10 miles or more to fish. At the end of the day they'd beech and the Mules would haul the boats up above the tide line.

Seabright Skiff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJwcXESNwW8

Return to “Power Boats”