New Sweet Caroline build started

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

parsj1957

New Sweet Caroline build started

Post by parsj1957 »

IMG_1504.jpg
The wood arrived, and the building form was built in the first days of the Shelter in Place. With no where to go, I've been able to get a fair amount of work done this week...
IMG_1550.jpg
Still doesn't look like a boat, but all the major parts are ready to go, just need to seal them prior to assembly -- next week should have a basic boat form showing!
J.

JimmY

Re: New Sweet Caroline build started

Post by JimmY »

Making lemonade out of lemons! Looks good.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

watkibe

Post by watkibe »

Wow, nothing like a stack of new plywood and a set of plans. I have my own project already, but I am still a little jealous. Sweet Caroline is a design I looked long and hard at before I chose mine. I look forward to pictures of your project, please !
Welcome to the forum.
From the Great Pacific Northwest !

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Looks good. I recommend using CPES and then encapsulating epoxy to seal the frames. I didn't use CPES on my Monaco frames. I just used encapsulating epoxy but I think it is better to do both. I didn't realize this at first but I started doing this later in my build for all sealing.

Lee

parsj1957

Post by parsj1957 »

IMG_1565.jpg
IMG_1567.jpg

Amazing what one can accomplish when you can't go anywhere, and nobody came come around to bug you. I even finished off my "honey-do" list...
J.

parsj1957

Post by parsj1957 »

denbrlr wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:59 pm
Looks good. I recommend using CPES and then encapsulating epoxy to seal the frames. I didn't use CPES on my Monaco frames. I just used encapsulating epoxy but I think it is better to do both. I didn't realize this at first but I started doing this later in my build for all sealing.

Lee
I know that there is a lot of plus and minuses (and opinions) on CPES. But I'm not a CPES fan in general, and for this build especially (but I have used it, and probably will again sometime in the future). The Sweet Caroline is an open boat so I'll be able to see/get at all the frames and interior structures. With solid wood, I treat the entire piece with 1/2 and 1/2 of marine oil based varnish and turpentine (real stuff). This provides a good soak-in seal to the wood, then when I get to the inside - I'll either leave them bright or paint. The plywood is getting fully encapsulated, plus the fiberglass sheathing so I'm not too worried about the outside, and again have full access to the inside. All faying surfaces will either be fully glued and fastened, or Dolfinite bedding compound and fastened -- so I should be okay.

Thanks J.
J.

parsj1957

Post by parsj1957 »

About the three week mark... the shape's all there. The Sheer's should be fully attached in a day or so, then on the the Motor well.
IMG_1611.jpg
J.

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

That's a lot of progress for 3 weeks. Looks good!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

parsj1957

Post by parsj1957 »

IMG_1669.jpg
IMG_1671.jpg
So with the chine blocks and the sheer strakes in place, the shape is revealed -- so then I started on the motor well - the cut out in the picture is obviously a rough cut - which allowed me to get the side blocking in place. Clean up cut tomorrow when everything has setup.
I decided to make the motor well the maximum width of 18" that the plans indicate as being okay. I wasn't aware of why 18" was set as the maximum until this point. There is just enough room to put in the motor well and its side braces between the bottom brackets. In fact, the bottom battens and motor well bottom/side braces will be touching along the entire length of the motor well.
Which now poses this question -- should I just glue/screw the bottom bracket to the motor well cleats? Seems like it would just strengthen the whole area.
Both are screwed to the bottom planking - albeit the motor well at 2" apart and the bottom batten at 4" apart. The plans call for nails - but I'm screwing everything. I can't think of any reason the bottom batten would need or want to "move' independently of the motor well -- but any thoughts or experiences with this issue? Thanks...
J.

footer

Post by footer »

Screws are a touch more expensive, but I get a better piece of mind using them.

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

The ring shank boat nails are quick and easy to put in. If there is something on the plans that call out nails I go for it. Maybe a couple of locating screws and the rest nails.
Matt

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Put a couple of ring shanks in some scrap wood then just try to pull them.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

parsj1957

Post by parsj1957 »

OOPs -- didn't mean to start a screw vs nail disagreement. I have nothing against nails, but I had a large number of useable (right size) Silicone Bronze screws from a previous project (miscalculation when ordering...) so it makes sense for me to just use them, and augment as needed versus buying a bunch of nails.

My Grandfather and Father both spent time as house carpenters during their lifetimes. I still fondly remember redoing our house's roof with the two of them and nailing in the roofing T&G. The constant reminder of three stokes per nail -- Start, Drive, Set still comes back to me whenever I nail something. And I still struggle to do it properly -- I don't remember either of them ever missing....
J.

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Absolutely, use what you got.
Matt

parsj1957

Post by parsj1957 »

IMG_1699.jpg
Well the test fit of the motor well is successful - tomorrow I'll start the formal glue-in install. I made it the maximum width of 18", and learned that the reason for the 'maximum' is the side cleats are right against the bottom battens -- makes perfect sense now.
J.

Return to “Power Boats”