Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

JimmY

Re: Another Vera Cruise build

Post by JimmY »

Curse you spell check!

Looking good.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

nc721

Post by nc721 »

Thanks Jimmy. Yeah spell check. Should be carlings not darlings. Lol
Nick

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I remember well the "filleting" you mention. I was doing mine in the dead of summer so I had to spread it out over a couple of months and do other things occasionally.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Nick,

Things are looking good :) Glad you found a way to make scarf joints that works for you. There are different ways to do it. It is important that the cuts are consistent so the two pieces of the mated joint match well so you get a good joint. Also, remember not to clamp too tightly and squeeze too much epoxy out :wink: Here is a picture of one of my Monaco motor stringers that were made by laminating two pieces together. Notice the epoxy layer between the two laminated pieces and also in the scarf joint. The two pieces will slide when clamping a scarf joint so watch out for that. You will need to clamp the two pieces to keep them from moving and then clamp the scarf joint.

Lee
Attachments
IMG_20190913_193040.JPG

nc721

Post by nc721 »

Hi Lee. Thanks for the feedback. I drill locating holes and use nails to keep the pieces from slipping. Have tried a couple of different methods. I had good results with the circular saw attachment from west systems for scarfing 3/8 ply for the hull. I built a jig for my router that I used on chines and battens but it was only 5” wide and the carling is 6”. I was a little nervous about all of these methods at first but all have turned out to be easier than expected.
Nick

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Nick,

I made two table saw jigs to cut my scarf joints. One jig is used for the first cut and it goes a little over half way. Then you use the other jig and flip the board over and do the other half of the cut. I used a table next to the table saw to allow me to safely slide the boards during the cut. With a little fine tuning, this technique works really well and would work for a six inch wide board. Here are some pictures.

Lee
Attachments
IMG_20190827_191332.JPG
IMG_20190827_191150.JPG
IMG_20190827_185900.JPG

nc721

Post by nc721 »

Nice jig Lee. Gonna have too make one of those.
Nick

nc721

Post by nc721 »

Starting to build interior structure. Currently working on the rope/ chain locker. Fillets went in tonight. If the weather stays warm enough fiberglass by the end of the week.
Attachments
81CD0623-72F0-4B07-970E-A88506016F36.jpeg
Nick

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Looks familiar Nick! :D :D

What are your plans for the anchor well access. I finally settled on a small hatch up forward, but considered all sorts of crazy ideas. Mine has a small storage space below the anchor well which is accessed from the V berth. But the anchor well is only accessible form the top (after I cut the lid in). It does have two drain scuppers at the aft corners that drain overboard.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

nc721

Post by nc721 »

Hi Carl. Planning on the same idea with the drain scuppers. As for access I am thinking a small hatch located to one side. I needed over 12 inches of fall to accommodate the electric windlass for the anchor. Ended up with close to 20 inches but that didn’t leave enough room for a usable compartment underneath. Hope that makes sense. Epoxy work is done for the season up here in New York so I will be working on getting the carling cut and fitted next. Kind of glad for the slow down of winter. Gives me time to figure out how the next few steps will all fit together.
Nick

Return to “Power Boats”