Riviera Final Layer of Mahogany Hull Planking

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

dp3aia

Riviera Final Layer of Mahogany Hull Planking

Post by dp3aia »

Hello to All!

I am getting ready to start installing the final layer of 1/8” mahogany hull planking on my Riviera build. Looking for feedback on the best fasteners to use. I have both the Omer stapler and brad nailer. Which is the best method of installation? Brads or staples?
David W. Pickard III, Esq., AIA
Architect - Attorney
d.pickard@architecturalattorney.com

neel thompson

Re: Riviera Final Layer of Mahogany Hull Planking

Post by neel thompson »

If your stapler is working properly and doesn't quit on you half way through a panel installation, I would use it. Many here on the forum, including me, have had problems with the Raptor stapler. It seems to hold things in place much better than the brad nailer and won't leave small countersink holes everywhere. Please post some pictures of your build as you go along.... Neel

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

The Omer stapler is what I used. Make sure you are using staples that are long enough. Also, make sure you are pressing hard on the stapler and square on the surface. Experiment on correct air pressure for your wood and thickness. Clean epoxy off the stapler often as it will accumulate as you are stapling.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

dp3aia

Post by dp3aia »

Thank you for the answers, Neel and Roberta! I suspected the correct answer was the stapler, as I have had been getting much better holding power using staples on the plywood layers. Neel. . . I will try to post a pic of my build so far. If it doesn’t work, I’ll have to figure it out. Also, Roberta I have truly enjoyed your book and have used it as a reference of several occasions!
Attachments
44F0F487-89A1-4F95-A3DD-F133EB79C49A.jpeg
David W. Pickard III, Esq., AIA
Architect - Attorney
d.pickard@architecturalattorney.com

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Thanks for the compliment. Gayle deserves the credit for the book, though. She put it all together using information on the Torpedo build thread. The thread was somewhat disjointed with a lot of chatter as it progressed. She organized useful information and pictures into the nice book she published. I was honored to help out.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Your build is looking great. I am not to the final planking layer yet but for my final veneer layer, I was planning on using my Omer composite brad nailer with a lot of wood washers. I might play with some sort of attachment to hold the nailer off the surface a few millimeters so the head is proud so I don't need washers in the middle of the pieces where holding strength is not as important. We will see.

Lee

Return to “Power Boats”