dry weight for a Malahini

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Tom J

dry weight for a Malahini

Post by Tom J »

Help! Does anyone know the dry weight of their Malahini? (I think the dry weight is just the boat without the motor, fuel or battery). I am in the process of buying a trailer for my build and I don't know how to weight the thing on its cradle. I am sure there might be some differences dependent upon the type of wood used in construction and the type of sole, but to just get a general idea would be helpful. I used meranti for the frames and 3/8 " ply for the sole., which is probably lighter than the folks who used oak for the frames and solid boards for their sole.
Tom J
currently building the Malahini

Bill Edmundson

Re: dry weight for a Malahini

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I usually assume that it is twice the listed hull weight.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

The trailer plans for the Malahini are for 1200-1800 lbs.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

It’s about a 1000 lbs without the motor. I have a light duty trailer with little 12” wheels, no problems. I’ve pulled it thousands of miles and have only had one blowout on a crappy old tire that needed replacing anyway.
I will say one thing about a boat trailer, have good sturdy fenders! When a tire blows it will do a hell of a lot of damage to your boat if it isn’t contained.
Matt B
Attachments
4D65445A-EB62-4395-BD51-DD8BB56AA6B6.jpeg

Tom J

Post by Tom J »

Thank you all. This is helpful information. I was lost with random guessing. Venture has two different bunk trailers for a 16'. Looks like the smaller one will work.
Tom J
currently building the Malahini

footer

Post by footer »

I was guessing around 900. Maybe I'll remember to have it weighed when I pull it in a couple weeks.

footer

Post by footer »

So, now comes the end of the season and time to pull the boats out.
Sad day.
I pulled my trailer down and got it weighed. 460lbs. This week I’ll pull the boat down and weigh it.
Last edited by footer on Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

footer

Dry weight

Post by footer »

Sorry. Posted on your page by accident. But I weighed my Malahini. Came out to appx. 1000lbs+- without the motor, which my 2029 60hp is 250lbs.? (With the motor was 1240lbs)
Attachments
Malahini
Malahini

Mark-NJ

Post by Mark-NJ »

I have a Ski-Tow....very similar.

My trailer weighs 120#. It has a spare tire (20#) and an ammo box with a jack & some tools (20#) All in that's about 160# tare weight.

I have a 35HP 1957 Johnson Golden Javelin that's about #130, a 6 gal tank (empty when I weighed everything), a small boarding ladder, a tool bag with extra props, a battery [bci24 frame], a bag of seat cushions & life preservers and a few fenders.

Additionally, I build my boat "open back" like an old Lyman or Thomson, and simple bench seats, so there's maybe 20-30# less deck weight.

Went to a weigh station and it was 1280, gross, all in. Remove about 160 tare for the trailer, that's about 1120 net curb weight, remarkably close to footer's weight, in the post above this one. Yet he's got a heavier engine and trailer. Maybe I used too many bronze screws! :shock: :shock:

Make of that what you will....hope it helps.

Return to “Power Boats”