Thinking Malahini although so many good boats!

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Kyle T

Thinking Malahini although so many good boats!

Post by Kyle T »

When there's so many brilliant boats, choosing is the hardest part of the build haha!

Hey guys, I'm from Aus and am looking for a good river/lake/bay boat. I'd love to have capacity for 4 people, am limited to 18'x8' max build (no possibility of widening the door unfortunately - no cats which is a shame).

I love the lines and double cockpit of the malahini and zip especially at the transom but have read here to go bigger as you'll thank yourself later and the extra room and freeboard is very appealing to me too despite being a modest 5'9 lol.

I'm mainly concerned with regards to on water comfort. Whilst I love the malahini and zip, I have never actually been boating before and have no frame of reference as to the degree of comfort when it comes to flat bottom vs V bottom. I'm blindly guessing it would be like riding in a sharply tuned sports car vs an E-Class Mercedes, please correct me if I'm wrong there.

Hence I was also factoring in potentially the overnighter or even the cruisette and removing the cabin but the lines in my opinion just aren't as nice (purely subjective) and I would attempt to modify the transom and frames if possible to replicate the zip and malahini lines if need be.

Looking for advice, do these alternative boats offer any noticeably higher degree of comfort compared to the malahini?

From what I've seen on Glen ls videos the malahini looks for all purposes fine but just want to be sure haha. I'd love to do a Joshua Burks style YouTube documentary of this build and go completely nuts.

Also, throw in the ski - tow as a wildcard lol.

Many thanks!
Kyle
Kyle

rbrandenstein

Re: Thinking Malahini although so many good boats!

Post by rbrandenstein »

In chop, the Malahini can be a bit rough when on plane.
Our lake, the lake of the ozarks, can be very busy and a lot of chop/waves are created. I cannot go though this on plane, as it really pounds and bounces us. I have to throttle down to about 10mph and go through the waves.
However, when traffic is light, it can handle the waves and wakes. We enjoy an evening cruise or weekdays when traffic is light.

Kyle T

Post by Kyle T »

rbrandenstein wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:45 pm
In chop, the Malahini can be a bit rough when on plane.
Our lake, the lake of the ozarks, can be very busy and a lot of chop/waves are created. I cannot go though this on plane, as it really pounds and bounces us. I have to throttle down to about 10mph and go through the waves.
However, when traffic is light, it can handle the waves and wakes. We enjoy an evening cruise or weekdays when traffic is light.
This is probably a very silly question but by rough, do you mean riding on cat eyes and the occasional speed hump or like a proper country road pothole beating?
Kyle

rbrandenstein

Post by rbrandenstein »

If it is one boat's wake, it is just several jarring, butt pounding thumps. I have learned to take a single wake by turning parallel to the waves and taking them with side to side rolling. You don't get the pounding.
However, it there is a lot of random chop due to many boats or wind action, it is like your country rode analogy. If you get off plane the ride is much better, but slower.

Kyle T

Post by Kyle T »

Wow, I guess there's no suspension on a flat bottom. With that being said what are your thoughts on a hellcat? Thinking I may be able to fit her in the workspace if I build a frame on wheels that enables me to pull it out and work in the open. The doorway I have is right on 8'. Will be risky haha.

Shame the beam isn't slightly less, I can build up to 22' longitudinally, would be perfect, such a unique build.

Cheers
Kyle
Kyle

Mark-NJ

Post by Mark-NJ »

I built a Ski-Tow which is virtually identical to the Malahini, and I can concur: I love it, it's fun, and I'd build another in a heartbeat...but in chop, it's rough. In stiff chop, it can be downright unpleasant. While I have confidence in my build, I've run through chop that has made me wonder, "is this the wave that splits my bow open like a ripe cantaloupe?" On windy days I don't even take it out anymore.

I think the issue is the boat's lightness. On one hand, I can haul @$$ with just a 35HP '57 Johnson Golden Javelin. A similar-length "heavy" (think old Chris-Craft) would plow through such waves with no issues, but it would need a huge inboard gas guzzler...

As for "building on wheels", I did just that and it worked fine. I made a 4' x 12' frame of 2x6 lumber with a 3/4" thick plywood deck...instant platform! 5" locking casters (get good quality casters! Thank me later), and the building frame was constructed on top. Wheeled it into the driveway to work, pushed it back into the garage for the night. Build the platform with cross & corner bracing and as long as your garage & driveway are flat, there's no twisting and the build stays true. Go for it!

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

I wouldn’t get too hung up on what hull will ride the best, at 16 ft long, they’re all going to get rough in any chop. Of course, the Hellcat is in a totally different category and will give the best ride but it doesn’t have a classic runabout look.
When the weather gets up or the lake is chopped out on a weekend most wood runabouts head for the dock or protected water. We’re best at looking cool, not ride quality.
I’m happy with our Malahini.
Good luck,
Matt B
Attachments
34998356-7DD4-4D54-9FE2-5F91F2E9DB1D.jpeg
FE5732C2-8A06-4BC7-9A09-F18202D24322.jpeg

Kyle T

Post by Kyle T »

Thank you so much guys for your advice. I am going to purchase the Malahini plans. Have a few bits and pieces to tie up behind the scenes (clean out my father's garage being the most intimidating of all) so just in time for the plans to arrive. Have a buddy who works in production and I will ask him to help me set up a good set and video system...

Looking forward to this project, it is going to be a blast and I can't wait to share the journey for all its highs n' lows!

Watch this space Malahini comes to Sydney!

Cheers
Kyle

Return to “Power Boats”