Help needed working with Glen L plans

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

stephenburnett

Help needed working with Glen L plans

Post by stephenburnett »

I am planning to build a Chinook and have the plans on my workbench
This is not my first wooden boat build but I am having difficulty deciphering some of the plans
For example the "frame outlines" only describe the outer profile of each frame and I am struggling with measurements for the inner side of the frames
Is there anyone I can call for some advice

Many thanks
Stephen Burnett

JimmY

Re: Help needed working with Glen L plans

Post by JimmY »

There are some photos of a couple of builds on the webpage where you buy the plans, or contact those builders. You might be able to gauge the size from them. It looks like that boat can be built in wood or metal, and maybe the frame sizing varies between the two methods.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Ibrew2be

Post by Ibrew2be »

Stephen,

I am not familiar with the Chinook plans, but I suspect that the information you want is there somewhere, it's just a matter of finding it. One place to look at carefully is the instructions. For the build I'm working on (not a Glen-L), I was faced the same thing you are, with the outer edge of the frames defined but the inside edge not shown. But a careful reading of the instructions revealed what the designer intended for where that inside edge ought to be drawn.

I've concluded that step one in any build is spending a lot of time going over the plans and instructions. Every time you look at them, things become a bit clearer. That is certainly what I found.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched.

Build of Ken Bassett's Rascal currently on hiatus

stephenburnett

Post by stephenburnett »

Thanks for the reply gentlemen I am reading and re reading the plans to try and decipher this out
best regards
Stephen

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

There is some great reference material available for purchase on the Glen-l website, "Boat building with Plywood" and "Boat builders Notebook - Second Edition" for example. Also, lots of info and FAQ's are available for free on the "Boat building Methods" web page. It's a learning process for sure which is one of the great attractions of the hobby...

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

TomB

Post by TomB »

Stephen,

I'm not familiar with the Chinook plans either, but if I had to bet, I'd bet the frame width is called out in the notes (upper right corner) on the small scale frames drawing (sheet 2?). How did I do, did I win?

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

Goodell

Post by Goodell »

stephenburnett wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:08 pm
I am planning to build a Chinook and have the plans on my workbench
This is not my first wooden boat build but I am having difficulty deciphering some of the plans
For example the "frame outlines" only describe the outer profile of each frame and I am struggling with measurements for the inner side of the frames
Is there anyone I can call for some advice

Many thanks
Stephen Burnett
Post a picture of what you are looking at. If they are full sized plans, I am surprised you are not looking at the entire half-frame view ...a full drawing of the assembled frame members showing gussets.... which you would then duplicate on the other side to complete the full frame station.

stephenburnett

Post by stephenburnett »

Thanks gentlemen
The smaller plan view of the frames details the width of each bulkhead.
I bought some tracing paper today and might make some frame outlines on the weekend
Thanks again to everyone
Stephen

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Stephen

I made and used plans for almost 40 years. You normally don't show everything on every sheet. If you make a mistake (I did that twice.), you only want to try to catch it on one or two sheets.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

stephenburnett

Post by stephenburnett »

Thanks Bill
I really enjoyed looking at the images of you build program - they are impressive

My last build was a Jeff Spira Katchemak and when completed it floated level, ran well and I love it. But....my accuracy was nowhere as impressive as your's. I was continually adjusting like crazy, patching my mistakes and I am not proud of the "bones beneath the skin". This time when building the Glen L Chinook I want to rectify those mistakes and end up with a skeleton as close as possible to your excellent result. Our Kingston Ontario winters are cool and snowy so I plan to evict the cars and build inside my garage/workshop which is insulated and heated. I will start by bolting the build-frame to the floor, but as soon as the skeleton is stable I will insert castors to move her from side-to-side because of the narrowness of the work-space.

Once you have fabricated the frames do you temporarily attach them to the build form?
Is the recommended build sequence; Build form, frames, stringers, plywood skin, etc?

Appreciating your help
Regards
Stephen

Ibrew2be

Post by Ibrew2be »

Stephen,
Yes, the frames are temporarily (but securely) attached to the building form after they are fabricated, along with the stem and the transom. Then the longitudinals (chines, sheers, battens) are attached, followed by the plywood planking. If you hold off on building the form until after you have the frames built and the stem and transom cut out, you forestall the point at which the boat takes over the garage and the cars are exiled to the driveway.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched.

Build of Ken Bassett's Rascal currently on hiatus

stephenburnett

Post by stephenburnett »

That is exactly what we are planning Barry. I have about 25 feet x 10 feet to work inside and before we build the frame I will fabricate as much as possible and then start on the frame. Ideally we would like to have frames, stem etc built over next summer and move into the garage before the snow flies. Oh the joys of four seasons (we prefer three....)

Thanks
Stephen

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Stephen,

One thing to keep in mind if you install castors on your building form later, watch out for the boat staying level. Your garage floor is most likely not level but your stringers need to be level in all directions to aid in keeping your frames and transom true. Keeping everything level later also helps with fairing (assuming you use a laser level to check that both sides are faired the same). If you later add castors once the frames, battens, etc. are mounted and start to roll it around, this won't cause a problem until you want to mark your waterline (again, assuming you are going to use a laser level to mark the waterline). Just some things to consider.

Lee
YouTube channel: Boat Builder Lee
Monaco build YouTube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP4Edb ... /playlists

stephenburnett

Post by stephenburnett »

Thanks Lee
I plan to keep everything tied down to my garage floor until such time as I have a stable skeleton- braced and measured
Installing castors will be necessary but your advice will be well taken. Unsure about using a laser though....

Happy Christmas

Stephen

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Stephen,

I have used a cross line laser level to check various things as my build has progressed including checking that after fairing, the outer edges of the transom were in the same horizontal plane by pointing the laser level at the transom. I also used it to check that the forward frames were faired consistently from side to side relative to the same horizontal plane by pointing the laser level at the front of the boat centered on the stem. You can't check the frames towards the stern with a laser level but I was able to check at least half of them (i.e. the front frames) this way. I used a long level laid on the keel from side to side to check that the other frames were faired consistently from side to side relative to the same horizontal plane.

I also plan to use a laser level to mark the water line. I think this is the easiest way to mark the water line.

Merry Christmas :)

Lee
YouTube channel: Boat Builder Lee
Monaco build YouTube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP4Edb ... /playlists

Return to “Power Boats”