Installing a strong towing eye

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

stephenburnett

Installing a strong towing eye

Post by stephenburnett »

I am trying to figure out how to incorporate a strong towing eye into the laminated plywood stem of the boat I am hoping to build
With three pieces of laminated ply sections making up the stem - what is the best way to approach this considering I will be working with a weak end-grain of the ply ? The eye needs to be strongly attached because of the launch and retrieve methods we are considering
Appreciate any advice out there in Glen-L-Land

Stephen Burnett

Ibrew2be

Re: Installing a strong towing eye

Post by Ibrew2be »

Stephen, the best approach for doing this is with a bow eye that is through-bolted, through the stem. The best approach is to use something such as the stainless bow eye shown in this example:

https://www.amazon.com/Marine-City-Ster ... B07GL4X3G7

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched.

Build of Ken Bassett's Rascal currently on hiatus

stephenburnett

Post by stephenburnett »

Thanks Barry
I was planning to use something similar but I am concerned that bolting through three laminates endwise will not be that strong because it comes through the end grain. What I may do is back the inside with a stainless plate rather than simple washers

Thanks and best regards
Stephen

kens

Post by kens »

you can cross-bolts sideways thru the plys, and put a backer plate under the nut
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

stephenburnett

Post by stephenburnett »

Thanks again Kens

Ozzieboat

Post by Ozzieboat »

Stephen
Like you I had concerns too. As previously suggested I used a threaded eye with a stainless steel plate under the nut. A cable was then connected to a second hole in the plate using a thimble and the cable was connected to another plate in the same fashion then attached to the stem to keel bolts. The eye is also welded to the cutwater which is bonded and screwed to the hull.

footer

Post by footer »

I used an 5/16”x1.5”x8” U-bolt straight through my Cutwater (it’s not welded to it) and the stem. I made a double flange to keep the bolt from going either way. I literally picked the boat up with it.
My stem is made of two 3/4” ply epoxied and screwed together.
Attachments
1241EAEA-05C2-42AF-A7BE-26F8E5C4E91B.png
Wont push in or pull through.
Wont push in or pull through.

Goodell

Post by Goodell »

stephenburnett wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:10 pm
I am trying to figure out how to incorporate a strong towing eye into the laminated plywood stem of the boat I am hoping to build
With three pieces of laminated ply sections making up the stem - what is the best way to approach this considering I will be working with a weak end-grain of the ply ? The eye needs to be strongly attached because of the launch and retrieve methods we are considering
Appreciate any advice out there in Glen-L-Land

Stephen Burnett
in our scenario on the north coast we pull boats out of the surf zone or soft sand areas using a tow-strap attached to the bow eye - then we back into it with a tilt trailer and winch it on. SO there is a lot of force put on it every day. THe Glen-L bowstem system is a little different in the use of longitudinally oriented plywood . Traditional skiffs here usually use a 4x4 or 6x6 cut in half on the diagonal for the bowstem - so there is a lot of material. Everyone here uses a large solid bow-eye (often 5/8" ubolt or a single solid eye with a 3/4" shaft") with a large backing plate and nut on the backside of the stem. To add more purchase area for my laminated plywood stem, I laminated 2x4 fir material on either side of the laminated plywood. Here is one pic of the bottom of the bowstem where it meets the forefoot - to see the laminations on either side.
Attachments
121049733_10207881971642942_1184594702649565477_o.jpg
IMG_2680.jpg

stephenburnett

Post by stephenburnett »

Thanks for the examples which more or less confirm what was planning to do. Reinforcing, backing, using robust bracing are all part of my plan
Appreciate the time you have given me
Happy Christmas from Kingston in Canada

Stephen

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

I used a single treaded bolt through the stem with a big stainless washer on the inside. I’m guessing a crane could hook on the eye and pick the whole boat up without damage.
Matt B
Attachments
AD61A908-530F-4BD6-B4E0-FAB03F818365.jpeg

stephenburnett

Post by stephenburnett »

Thanks Matt - appreciate your example

Merry Christmas from Canada
Stephen

Return to “Power Boats”