Decking Brainstorm

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

ttownshaw

Decking Brainstorm

Post by ttownshaw » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:42 am

I am in the process of building my materials list for planking and decking and am kicking around several ideas for the layout/design of the top-side.

So, give me some opinions please.

My wife thinks this design is a little over-kill with pattern...but I think on a large scale this would look great. What about an in-laid contrasting graduated starburst pattern surrounded by a sketch boarder? I know this may sound like greek...heck, half the time I don't understand myself. So, here is the illustration super-imposed over Glen-L's line drawing of the boat.

The white lines showing up are transient and showed up when I converted the image from 2020 to a picture file so try to ignore them.

My wife thinks this design is a little over-kill with pattern...but I think on a large scale this would look great...however she has me second-guessing myself. Please give me some feedback.
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

Bruce T.

Post by Bruce T. » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:12 am

Very cool! Definatlly go for it.

Bruce.

John K

Post by John K » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:39 am

A lot of work - BUT it would be beautiful.

kens

Post by kens » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:30 pm

I think the sunburst is way too cool!
Although it would get very busy down at the apex where they all come together, put a center of some sort in there, half moon, acorn, something, anything to breakup all those points.
Go for it.

Aaron B

Post by Aaron B » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:49 pm

And do the same with the rear deck, either from the same radius point, or a new one behind the rear bench. Just my opinion. This looks like a cool idea.

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:53 pm

The disadvantage to that build is the wood ends up with sharpe points, which in some cases will give you issues overtime with grain splits, even when its completely covered with finish. Do a reverse kingplank down the middle and you will be ahead of the game. my .02 worth

ttownshaw

Post by ttownshaw » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:01 pm

So is this more in-line with your thinking?

I plan on duplicating the pattern at the stern but will have to play around with it some more as the angles get a little tricky and the patern seems to want to skew.

Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.

kens

Post by kens » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:48 pm

Yeah, that is what I was talking about. Put the other half of the circle behind the seat, and let the sunburst go aft to transom to complete a nearly full circle.
You could make the forward half moon your nameplate.

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:27 pm

Go out a tad further, and it may look even better and not look like a belly button. :wink: [just kidding about that, though, but try and see what it looks like.

Dave Grason

Re: Decking Brainstorm

Post by Dave Grason » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:08 pm

ttownshaw wrote:My wife thinks this design is a little over-kill with pattern...but I think on a large scale this would look great...however she has me second-guessing myself. Please give me some feedback.
Well HELL! Who's damn boat is it anyway? LOL :lol: When she builds her boat she can plank it just however she wants.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Drew

Post by Drew » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:08 am

I like your planking idea. It kinda looks like a sunset/rise. Looks very cool

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:30 am

hmmmmm....I'm not sure I like it. To me, and this is just my opinion, but patterns on moving vehicles, whether they be cars, boats, or whatever should appear to flow in the direction that the vehicle is likely going to move and to me this design does not do that...it actually appears to be flowing in the reverse direction...to me it sort of detracts from the sleekness of the craft.

But of course this is JMHO and in the end you have to be happy with the boat you build so build in a way that will make you happy....besides if my GF is right I'm never right so I'm likely not this time.(that part was added cause she was looking over my shoulder as I was typing it)..lol :lol:

PapaDon

Post by PapaDon » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:52 am

I'm with novass on this one, but for a different reason. I've read too much history....ALL I see is the rising sun of Japanese fame, and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. All the bad things about WWII flash thru my brain. Now, if you're going to be putting around Tokyo Bay, I can think of nothing more perfect. (In fact, I bet its been done over there) I saw it in your first drawing, the addition of the semi-circle only compounded the effect. Well heck, you can't please all the people all the time (novass and I). I think it's GREAT that you are trying to do something different also. Bottom line....it's your boat, if it pleases you then go for it.
If God had intended for us to have fibreglass boats, we would have fibreglass trees.

ttownshaw

Post by ttownshaw » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:39 am

Thanks for the input!

Dave -
Who's damn boat is it anyway?
Well, I would say it is mine but I know better. My wife owns everything...I am just "allowed" the use of her tools, her time, her garage, her sweat, her lawn mower, router, saws, car, cash, ect. Funny though, when the kids do something wrong they are mine :?

PapaDon -
ALL I see is the rising sun of Japanese fame
I know...I see it too on my drawing. I am pretty sure that it will not have the same effect when finished as long as I don't stripe between the sections. My grandfather (now 91) served in WWII in the Pacific Fleet and experienced kamikazes and the rising sun first hand. I wouldn't dream of dishonoring his service! Stars and Bars will fly on my boat, in my yard...oops, forgot...wife's boat, wife's car... :lol:

Here is the next iteration...I like the ellipse shape but may change to a broken arch to match the shape of the bow.

Bill

PapaDon

Post by PapaDon » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:51 am

That's a little better, but I think you may be onto something with the matching arch thing.
If God had intended for us to have fibreglass boats, we would have fibreglass trees.

Return to “Power Boats”