Rustoleum

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

2quick

Rustoleum

Post by 2quick »

Hi guys- No one responded on the painting page, so I'll try here. How do you feel about painting a boat with oil based high gloss rustoleum? It's the toughest paint I've ever seen, self leveling, and readily available at any Home Depot in the country. Their high gloss white and other high gloss colors really dry nice. What d'ya think?

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS »

I'm pretty sure it would work "OK". How are you planning on applying it? If your thinking of spraying it I would really look into an enamal paint that you add a hardener too. TSC sells an inexpensive line of enamal paint which has an optional hardener for it. I think the resulting paint job would be much more durable in the end. Also most automotive paint companies (such as dupont, PPG, etc) have an inexpensive line of paint that really are leaps and bounds better then rustoleum, or the TSC paints, etc. You would get a much longer lasting and better looking paint job going that route.(Of course this type of paint would have to be sprayed) This is JMHO :)

Smith Brother

Post by Smith Brother »

novass. what is the name of the line that DuPont offers that is less expensive? I assume they can mix most colors?

Thanks,

Dale in Indy :?:
I AM ALWAYS DOING THAT WHICH I CANNOT DO, IN ORDER TO LEARN HOW TO DO IT. ~ Pablo Picasso 1881 - 1973

bkiley

Post by bkiley »

Hi,

I've not had a lot of luck with Rustoleum paints on anything but metal. Most of there paints dry soft even when they dry. A simple test would be to do a sample area, see if you can do a finger nail test, if after a day or so you can leave a mark, i would see what else there is.

They are great for rust or on metals. For wood, I've had fair results. Yes, it does cover and protect most woods, but I would check on other paint options. I would also check, to see if there are any other sites/newsgroups that people have used it for "marine" uses. Again, I would be worried it would not hold up.

Bruce

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS »

Smith Brother wrote:novass. what is the name of the line that DuPont offers that is less expensive? I assume they can mix most colors?

Thanks,

Dale in Indy :?:
Dale, I believe the Dupont line is called Nason and the PPG line is called Omni. As far as I know you can get it in any color you want just like their more expensie lines.

Here is a thread from an automtive site that discusses these paints. I havent read the whole thread so hopefully it doesnt take a nasty turn or go off on a tangent.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/ppg-omn ... 65748.html

Eric

Post by Eric »

Rustoleum has a line of maine paint sold at Lowe's. Iv;es used in a couple of times and for an enamel paints it's pretty good and about $11 a quart.

Caber-Feidh

Post by Caber-Feidh »

Another decent source of acceptable paint is from fleet/farm or similar tractor supply places. They usually have a line of inexpensive catalyzed enamels for ag. equipment. The stuff seems to hold out pretty decent. I have used it for some below waterline hardware, and on the blades of a couple of lift fans. Colour selection is not all that spectacular... pretty much any colour, as long as it's named after a tractor :)

Oyster

Post by Oyster »

These type paints have their place in small boat building with some caviats to include the initial coatings of your plywood hulls after priming coats. I use a lot of XO Rust which is a generic brand simular to Rustoleum. Its does take some time to cure properly. But one thing that I have found in the on going building process, the cure time is there for you if you paint the hull to seal it and to protect it from any elements while you complete the inside. This is a cheap way to add build up coats under any good enamel paint like Kirby's or after a lengthy curing time, I use it as a heavy undercoat under Brigthsides paint. Its important that you do wait a bit to apply the Brightsides though over the top. In some green stage it may lift the Rustoleum or XO Rust. XO Rust also needs some mildew inhibtant as it will mildew in damp conditions. I also have a fix for that too.

The only thing I buy from WallyWorld is their generic cleaner labeled All Purpose cleaner like spray nine or any product like that. I wet the surface down, spray on and then take a small scrub brush or even a wet rag and wipe down to remove the mildew and make it look brand new again.

I call it a cheap paint job in a spray bottle. Just be carefull with any runoff as it will kill the grass. :shock: [Don't ask me how I know.] :wink:

The difference between eight or so bucks and 30 bucks in the initial buildup coats of topcoat makes Mamma happy, too. :lol: You need to break these things to some gently even though I have her well broken in with the old song BoatOnAnotherThousand.

For building up coats, I also use the satin finish or a 50/50 mix of high gloss and satin white blended together. This takes a lot of work out of the process of sanding too, and also helps with the adhesion issues for multiple recoating in the green and thin applications for build up. I also enjoy a more suttle finish in some era oriented builds like many of the skipjack hulls.

Steve Miller

Post by Steve Miller »

I am a big fan of the Benjamin Moore M22 paint. Its a one part poly modified oil based paint. I have used Interlux Brightsides and Petit Easy-Poxy too. I tried Glidden oil based porch paint on on boat. Ok but not glossy enough for me.

I like Petit's better than Interlux. Next up is the M22. For cost and gloss and toughness and range of colors (all BM's colors) the M22 is my pick. About $35 per gallon. I have had the boat in the water for up to a week with no issues.

Paint is over epoxy primed with Interlux Barrier Kote 2 part primer. The epoxy and primer are key to being able to leave the boat in the water that long.

Return to “Power Boats”