hacker flapper 18'

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

hydrabass

Post by hydrabass » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:40 pm

Scott,

Good looking boat, what part of Tenn. did you find this . It doesn't look like you have alot of work to do on this boat, it looks pretty solid.

Jeff

EL MIRAGE

Post by EL MIRAGE » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:00 pm

I purchased it in Kingsport.... Ebay purchase. It is in good condition, but they did not use 20s style hardware and used those grab rails on the stern and rear ventilators. Now there are holes where they were mounted and the ventilators on the front are not in the right place. i want it to look more period correct, so i am going to redeck it and replace all of the deck hardware adding period correct port holes on the port and starbord sides to exit the engine heat/ air and add a can style bow light. I'm also going to change the steering wheel to a 4 spoke wood rim style and move all of the gauges to the center of the dash.
I'm going to replace the 300ci 6 cyl with a 393 ci stroker 351 w based motor with duel 4 inch exhaust side by side in the center of the transom. I am ether going to name it EL MIRAGE because everybody who see's it says they thought the were seeing things when they saw it or EL TUANO... The Thunder because i'm going to use a 600lift roller cam in it. It should sound pritty nasty with the stroker/cam/ compression. I am going with the spanish names because my all time faverite race boat is named EL LAGARTO, the 3 time gold cup champion.

Scott
Scott

hydrabass

Post by hydrabass » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:04 pm

Scott, what kind of speed can you get from this type of hull design with your new setup and check out the Rosita from the website below.

Jeff

http://www.fhboats.com.au/rosita.htm

EL MIRAGE

Post by EL MIRAGE » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:04 pm

Jeff, To be honest, I have no idea. I would like 50-55mph. Just like the Rosita, mine is flat across the bottom so it should move well. Thanks for the link. I have been looking for some of the plans that were printed in MotorBoating but have been unable to find them. I think mine was built from one of those plans. If you have any other links, please pass them along. I had not seen the Rosita site before.

Scott
Scott

hydrabass

Post by hydrabass » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:49 pm

Scott,
I would be happy with 45 mph for a boat like that . I think i 'm going to build the Rivera , this will be my first wooden boat build .I want be trying to stay with the vintage look 'accept the woodie look on the hull and deck.Probable the rest of the boat will be pretty modern, I can control the cost of the boat alot easier. From what i hear and read it is a 45 to 50 mph, with the possibility of carry up to 7 passengers. And depending on how this boat goes i would love to build the 22' zimmer .

Jeff

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:22 pm

I've often thought that the Monaco would make an excellent platform for this type of build. Also for a Gentleman's runabout if the builder so desired. You simply would build the helm into the back cockpit and plank over the forward cockpit. To me, that would be very cool.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:23 pm

1 word......

GENTRY :wink:

hydrabass

Post by hydrabass » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:20 pm

Dave, could the aft cockpit be made bigger if you were to do that, could the engine be set more fwd since there would be no passengers up there ?

Jeff

Brian Eager

Post by Brian Eager » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:28 pm

For anybody that wants a capsule history of the Hacker Boat Company, click on this link:

http://www.libcoop.net/MountClemens/hacker.htm
Noah was a first-time boatbuilder

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:35 am

hydrabass wrote:Dave, could the aft cockpit be made bigger if you were to do that, could the engine be set more fwd since there would be no passengers up there ?
I see no reason why the rear cockpit couldn't be enlarged at least a little and the engine moved forward slightly, but I wouldn't get radical with either modification. I was just think tanking a little there.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

hydrabass

Post by hydrabass » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:00 pm

Dave, i'm pretty sure i'm going to start with the rivera since from what i have read performs quite well , but with the rivera having a wider beam than the zimmer ,it probably could handle the the engine more fwd allowing a roomery cockpit . What would you have to do, float test it with the weight spaced around the boat allowing for the engine , fuel, people and maybe some gear ? Then change the shaft lenght and angle ?

Jeff

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:30 pm

You got me there. I just don't know. But, if you're going to use a small block Chevy or equivalent, moving it a little forward would be no different than putting 2 people up forward. I would think that there would be plenty of stability.

Yes, the shaft angle will change but I think for the better. The angle wouldn't be as severe but you'd still have to make sure you've got room for the prop.

hydrabass

Post by hydrabass » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:15 pm

I wonder if there is a certain keel angle the boat should float at ?
Jeff

Return to “Power Boats”