Flats Flyer, or Garvey, or something else?

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

SFC Hall

Flats Flyer, or Garvey, or something else?

Post by SFC Hall » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:30 am

… Hi guys… I joined this site a few years ago when I was looking to build a Jon boat. Well, that never did happen. My neighbor sold me his aluminum Jon, with raised decks and steering consol… so, no build. I have had that boat for a while, and I just don’t like it.

Right now I am in Iraq, but when I get back I would like to start “the boat of my dreams”… but what would that be?

I want a stable flat deck that I can run in the shallow lakes and rivers. I really like the scooter, but it just doesn’t seem practical. I don’t go out in bad weather, but storms do come up. But we are talking small lakes, and the chop never gets real bad. I want a comfortable flat platform for me and one maybe two other guys to fish from in reasonable weather.

Also, in Pa where I want to retire some day, most lakes are restricted to under 10hp… so I need one that can get around with that. Right now I have a 60hp on my Jon and a 75hp in the barn… I will likely use one of them and put the 10 on with a jack plate…

So what do you guys think? I need an expert opinion please.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:54 am

SFC,

Take a look at the "Jimbo". It's a Garvey type, about 16', shallow Vee bottom and will take the engine that you already have.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

SFC Hall

Post by SFC Hall » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:12 am

that was one of the ones I was looking at. I just figured the flyer would be easier that the Jimbo because the lines are straight... I like the looks better too, but that is secondary...

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:26 am

SFC,

Both are good choices. The stitch and glue garvey would be a pretty straight forward build.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

chilefish

Post by chilefish » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:41 pm

Hi, I can't give you an ¨expert opinion¨ but, I'm just finishing up (at least all I'm going to do this season) a Ken Hankinson Scrambler. It's the biggest little boat I've ever seen. It's been a fun, easy and educational build and although it looks abit like a fat duck, I'm expecting the stability to be just what I need with a couple other folks moving around in the boat. It should knock down a small chop as well, although I'll only be using it on rivers. I was going to wait till next year when I finished putting in the rest of my ¨rot boxes¨ but would be happy to send you a couple of photos if you'd include your email. Anyway that's my two cents and thanks for your service! Monte

Return to “Power Boats”