need method for supporting the sole

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

billy c

need method for supporting the sole

Postby billy c » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:04 am

on the belle isle build the sole of the boat is spec 1/2" marine ply. after laying down the ply, it has some flex. some of it will go after it gets secured. how much intermediate support is needed to carry this? seems like a long distance between the motor stringers for 1/2" ply to span. also, is it supported by more than the frame at the point where it meets the hull? right now my thinking is running a batten or cleat the height of the motor stringers planing it level with the motor stringers and then attaching the sole to that. maybe it could be carried from above by a board installed as part of the ceiling instead. any ideas welcome. :idea:
-Billy

Nova SS

Postby Nova SS » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:17 am

How about ataching a couple of cleats to the underside of the sole to stiffen it up?

Rough sketch below

kens

Postby kens » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:56 pm

I hate to ask, but, did you orient the face grain across the stingers? Grain orientation does make a difference. I am using 1/2" and no problem across the stringers.
I put cleats along the side planking to rest the soles on.

I tried some HomeDepot 4-ply 1/2" and it was no good, and heavy. I got some good 5-ply 1/2" that was lighter and stiff. Thats what I am using here. Notice I turned the grain sideways across the stringers. Works fine for me.

FDMSIV

Postby FDMSIV » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:46 pm

If you are looking to stiffen a board, use 1/4" plywood strips maybe 2 or 3 wide glued perpendicular to the underside of the board. You could get away with thinner material if you want to save weight. The height of the stiffener is the important part.

I was planning on using a router to make groves in the plywood before adding the strips and laying them into the boat.

billy c

Postby billy c » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:55 pm

thanks for the ideas diagrams and photos!
Ken I did run the grain perp to the stringers- that is real true about the directional strength of the sheet. i wish i had not bought okoume ply for the floor. i think other panels would have less flex for the thickness.
will screw the panel down and see how much flex is eliminated then try a few cleats on the bottom and at the joins in the ply.

ken i see that your frame ties to the motor stringer to carry the sole. mine does not so is not supported at every frame i may add that to my frames that should help.
if all else fails i can use the ply for the seats etc as they are 1/2" also.
:roll:
-Billy

Return to “Power Boats”