Rebel Launch

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

terrymc

Postby terrymc » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:00 am

Gravel,

Great looking boat - OUTSTANDING - SIMPLY OUTSTANDING!

Long ago I ran a Reb with a 75 Johnson - it's a great combination.

Congrats on a great job.

Terry Mcintyre

leakcheck

Postby leakcheck » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:20 am

Well, there you have it : I am now someone elses bitch !! /.... why do I feel like a piece of meat !! ..whip me, beat me, make me feel cheap !! ...

Steve :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gravel

Postby Gravel » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:26 pm

It's official, my head is now too big to get back into the garage! :?

To get a little closer to the reality of the paint job i have attached the pic below showing what it was like straight off the gun. The paint is 2pac poly Newport 66.

I was scared of losing that shine through buffing and was petrified of getting anywhere near it with wet and dry paper(previous bad experience with cars and the scratches that were left). But there were the usual insects, dust and paint blobs which made it feel a little rough. So i started on another trail patch underneath and found out how it actually works! :shock:

The buff itself does nothing. It's the compound that does the work. The buff simply rubs the compound against the paint and that's what gets the job done. Derr right(note to self: ya' moron!)

So the key to buffing IMHO is to wet and dry the whole thing first to get rid of the insects, dust, paint blobs and the worst of the orange peel. Then use the right cutting compound to get the paint flat (mine had grit like pumice in it - Newport 11 cutting compound), and then finish with a finer compound. You can actually see the buff stop working when you need to apply more compound.

The whole buffing revelation has restored my faith in painting. I was quite depressed by the orange peel and bugs etc and thought i could not buff the very hard paint. BUT!!! The right compound can turn a crappy paint job into a masterpeice...provided you apply enough coats to take one of two off with the buff. So paint away fellas, the buff is your saviour.

Gravel

P.S. Leakcheck, it was your encouragement in a previous post that convinced me to apply the buff. Thank you..... :lol:
Last edited by Gravel on Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:47 pm

Gravel wrote:P.S. Leakcheck, it was your encouragement in a previous post that convinced me to apply the buff. Thank you.....bitch! :lol:

Now GRAVEL!!

Did you NOT read my "etiquette" thread? We're NOT supposed to harrass the 'girls" on this forum, darnit! :P
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

leakcheck

Postby leakcheck » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:13 pm

Dave don't give him any crap, I think I have a place to stay if I decide to take the Harley down unda !!

Steve :wink:

Gravel

Postby Gravel » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:44 pm

Dave,

sorry mate. No, i had not read your etiquette thread until now. As such I have edited out potentially offensive language in my last couple of posts so as not to offend any of the fine people here.

Gravel

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:14 am

Gravel wrote:.....so as not to offend any of the fine people here.

.....or Steve. :lol:
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Gravel

Postby Gravel » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:37 am

Porpoising solved! The Stingray hydrofoil fixed it totally. Woohoo!

At speed if i trim the motor up a little it starts to porpoise again. Then if i trim it back down it stops.

However, it seems the Hydrofoil has wiped a few knots of my top speed. Admittedly it only got just over 35 knots before, but now it's down to just over 30. And the 86 model 70hp Johnson only gets 5000rpm at WOT. It has a stainless prop on it in good condition. I can't see any pitch/diameter stamps on it so i guess i'll have to remove the nut.

Should i be happy with the WOT rpm? Would reducing the pitch of the prop to increase the rpm to say 5500 increase top end or just out of the hole power?

Gravel

Falcon

Gravel

Postby Falcon » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:17 am

What a truly great looking boat, you are to be complemented on it.I hope you an your family have many happy days.
Falcon
Be who you are, say what you want those that mind don't matter an those that matter wont mind.
http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/falcon6667/

terrymc

Postby terrymc » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:52 am

Gravel,

5000 RPM at WOT sounds low.

As I noted in my earlier post, I built a Reb in 1972. I used 2 different engines on the boat, first a 1960 40 HP Johnson, with the "standard" prop (whatever that was - it's a LONG time ago). By a pitot tube speedo (all that there was then!!) I got 33 MPH at WOT. I didn't have tach. (The 40 was manual start! We didn't have a battery, lights, anything...)

The 40 could get me out of the water on a single ski, but it struggled, so we replaced the 40 with a 1975 Evinrude 75 with power tilt and trim. I'm reasonably sure that we had a 17" pitch prop. That combination gave me right around 40 MPH (again on the pitot) at 5800 RPM. I'm pretty sure that the 75 had a couple of hundred RPM higher WOT RPM range than the 70 - that's probably where they got the extra 5 ponies.

I never had any proposing problems, but the boat would start tto chine walk at about 38 if the engine was trimmed out too far. Just a bit of bow-down trim would fix it.

Peace,

TRM

Mr Hot Rod

Postby Mr Hot Rod » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:29 pm

As such I have edited out potentially offensive language in my last couple of posts so as not to offend any of the fine people here.

I liked it the way it was :P Let's take a poll . . .

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.boats.chelseacoachworks.com

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:53 am

Dave Grason wrote:
Gravel wrote:P.S. Leakcheck, it was your encouragement in a previous post that convinced me to apply the buff. Thank you.....bitch! :lol:

Now GRAVEL!!

Did you NOT read my "etiquette" thread? We're NOT supposed to harrass the 'girls" on this forum, darnit! :P

I'm with Paul. You just need to get tuned in to our sense of humor over here. See, I was calling Steve a "girl."

Gravel

Postby Gravel » Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:04 pm

Yeah, it's a shame we're on different sides of the planet. Would have loved to meet you guys at the Guntersville weekend.

And yes.....i mistook your sense of humour. I really value this forum and was scared of having stepped out of line.

Leakcheck....you can stay at my house if you come to OZ!

Gravel

More Prop Woes

Postby Gravel » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:32 am

I went out with an extra adult and two small kids (total 3 adults, 4 small kids) in the rebel last weekend and at WOT i only reached 4500 rpm! %*^*&^

So after talking to a few marine mechanics, and getting some absolute BS answers, I removed the stainless prop today to find it's a 15 x 19! The aluminium prop that came with the motor as a spare, probably original, is a 13 1/4 x 17.

I've changed the prop and am keen to get out and test it this coming weekend. Hopefully problem of WOT RPM will be solved.

Also, the motor cav plate is 1/2 inch lower than the hull bottom. Is this a problem? Can it cause Problems, if so what type?

The boat cavitates in tight turns if i try and push it like i used to push my v-drive inboard to give skiers the 'whip' effect. I built it with a skeg as per plans rather than a skid fin. Is this normal for a flat bottom boat?

Thanks for the feedback so far. Looking for more help though...

Gravel

Nova SS

Postby Nova SS » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:55 am

I wish I had more answers on this topic for you but I'm still learning myself. Now there is a forum online for Outboard performance boating. Possibly they would have the answer your looking for if no one here can steer you in the right direction.

http://forums.screamandfly.com/modules. ... 2&name=Jig

Return to “Power Boats”