New Fast Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

wdicken

New Fast Build

Post by wdicken » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:38 am

I need a new boat. My son (14) and I built the Sissy-Do and it took us the better part of a year and it was mostly my work. However, we have two boating locations and it's rather a pain to trailer the boat. So my wife has given us permission to build another boat.

However, my son wants to build it "himself". (be afraid, be very afraid). So I need a recommendation.

We need it for a lagoon on the gulf. Might see some very limited close shore runs to the snorkeling site, but mostly a bay boat. Wave height would never exceed 2 ft.

It needs to be between 12-20 ft, Seating 3 would be nice, 4 ideal. The issue is fast assembly. He is just not good with long projects. I see a number of boats that might work but I figured I would open the discussion for help. I don't know enough about stitch and glue. I can buy the boats that have kits if that would speed the process.

From your combined experience, what boat would be fast and easy for a 14yr old to build ?

FDMSIV

Post by FDMSIV » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:56 am

I would say go with a stitch and glue. Read up on it, it is not that difficult to do. The biggest advantage is that the hull comes together rather quickly. In my opinion cutting, sanding, fitting, and fairing frames was a very boring and tedious activity (I loved every minute of it). Once the hull is together, the rest is somewhat of a cake walk.

There are some great photos of the CS 20 in the photo archives. Take a look at those and see what you think.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:09 am

The Power-Row Skiffs, functionally, would be good choicess for either Little Lagoon or Oyster Bay. :) The flat bottom would also make beaching it easier. Although, I know a 14 year old would never do that. Well, unless he was getting away from that 609# Mako.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

razopp

Post by razopp » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:05 pm

I would probably recommend a S&G boat if your are looking for a project that can be completed quickly. Their are other tack and tape designs as well. Glen-L has some nice smaller utilty style skiffs in multiple lengths if you are looking for something quick to build. You did not mention the power limits (engine size) you were looking to use. You also have to think about the hull shape (dory, v, flat bottom, etc).

My personal favorite Glen-L design in this size limit and build method would be a console skiff. Uses templates and you see the quick progression.

With all this said I have not built any of these designs, and I am only referring to "others" projects.

Robert

wdicken

Post by wdicken » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:19 pm

Ahh Bill, sounds like you know my son <grin>

Trying to keep the horsepower down (I don't need him running into things too fast) so I'll look at the CS. My wife rather fancied the Lo-Voltage and I was looking at the Jimbo.

I think I'll order the S&G DVD. Keep those thoughts coming

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:37 pm

wdicken,

I don't know if you go by Bill or William.

But, I also like the "Jimbo" for the Inter-Coastal-Gulf Shores area.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

raymacke

Post by raymacke » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:11 pm

I agree with the stitch and glue recommendation. In the initial stages it affords more tolerance in cuts which will allow time for skill to build as the project progresses. Also, in the initial stages it builds very fast and you have something that resembles a real boat in a very short period of time. Much more likely to keep a young mind engaged.

For obvious reasons I like the Console Skiff (same hull as the Cabin Skiff) but in this case I agree with Bill Edmundson the Jimbo might be a better choice. Although not really hard, on the Console Skiff the high stressed plywood bends where the forward chines blend into the hull do require a little extra finesse or cracked panels may result. Also, cutting and fitting the bresthook could be challenging for a young impatient builder. These procedures are achievable but it appears Jimbo avoids both. It also looks like the Jimbo would afford a little more interior space. Nice looking boat too.

Dave Grason

Re: New Fast Build

Post by Dave Grason » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:16 am

wdicken wrote: So my wife has given us permission to build another boat.
Steve (Leakcheck) wouldn't by any chance be your brother-in-law, would he? lol :lol:

You're not going to believe this but when I read your post on this thread, i IMMEDIATELY thought about the Console Skiff or the Jimbo. Then by the time I got to the bottom of the thread, I saw where everyone else was on the exact same page. So I heartily concur. Stitch and Glue is the way to go and the CS or Jimbo are the ones to start with.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Smith Brother

Post by Smith Brother » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:28 am

Now Dave, YOU DON'T THINK ANYONE WOULD ADMIT TO BEING leackcheck's BROTHER-IN- LAW, WOULD YOU? :wink: :P

Dale in Indy

One day in the middle of the night, two dead boys got up to fight.

wdicken

Post by wdicken » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:14 pm

I can imagine NO circumstances would I admit to being the aformentioned in-law. At least not now. ......

I ordered and received the CS video and the S&G video. The interesting thing is that the video on the CS made it sound more complex than I thought it was. Enough so that I'm leaning toward Bill,Raymacke and Daves recommedation on the Jimbo.

Anyone built the Jimbo ? Any surprises ?

I'm presuming I can make the electric power work eventually, but we may start with Gas (easy, conventional)

Thanks

eric_wwww

Post by eric_wwww » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:06 pm

Just make your son use plenty of safety items (respirator, gloves, long-sleeve shirt, etc.) so as not to get sensitized to the epoxy while building a stitch & glue boat.

That's great that he wants to do it though.

Eric

wdicken

Post by wdicken » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:43 am

my wife is a step short of fanatical about saftey gear (20 years at DuPont) so we get bundled.

But thanks for the reminder.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:04 pm

Wdicken,

A guy name Larry Wilson in Mobile built a Jimbo last year. You might see if you can find his number. He probably would be open to you comming by.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Power Boats”