Crackerbox Hull Joint

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

shandman

Crackerbox Hull Joint

Post by shandman » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:47 pm

I wonder if anyone can help me understand something.
On sheet 5 of the drawings to the middle right, there is a reference to the oak or mahogany keel - with plywood laminate. The drawing is an unidentified bottom frame member showing the keel placement. Under the bottom planking is shown a 1/2" x 2" 'oak over joint'. Is that an oak strip that runs the length of the keel on the very bottom of the hull? I can't seem to find any other reference to that strip elsewhere in any of the drawings (the Inboard Profile drawing on sheet 3 doesn't show it) nor the building instructions. Is this an optional member? If not, does it serve as some kind of stability element (in addition I suppose to strengthening the longitudinal seam defined by the two sheets of bottom planking)? In all the builders' photos I don't recall ever seeing that strip.

gregggrundon

keel

Post by gregggrundon » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:26 pm

I believe you're right. If you go through some of the peoples builds you will see that added strip under the keel.

Gregg
Jolly Roger 30'(Extended)
Marshall Islands, R. M. I.

J Patroni

Post by J Patroni » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:46 pm

Shandman,

That is just an optional keel strip for the prevention of side slide in the
turns. I will not be using it on my Cbox. There will be to many interuptions with the strut and the hole for the shaft. I think it will offer to much drag. Most builders will use the skid fin in place of the keel strip. In my opinion, it does not offer enough support to hull to warrant its installation.

Jim Patroni
If you don't build it now, You will regret it later! Already regreting it

Crackerbox Build
http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee255/jtpatronimfg/

Checkmate Restoration
http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee25 ... 0Starflite

shandman

Post by shandman » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:12 am

Thanks guys. That all makes sense.
Jim, your picture compendium is really nice; its been a huge help to me as I envision working through my build (which I hope to commence in a month or so).
Art

Return to “Power Boats”