Spray rail or not?

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

WoodBooger

Spray rail or not?

Post by WoodBooger » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:46 pm

I have just completed expoxing my Sapele 'planks' (.25" x 1.875") to the plywood sides and transom of my SkiTow. The sapele will be finished bright with epoxy/varnish ; the bottom getting 6oz cloth and copper powder/epoxy finish.
I am in a dilemma on whether or not to install a spray rail.
I think I can make the transition at the chine between the copper bottom and the planked sides up near the bow look OK without a spray rail and I think I could just as easily cover that same junction with a spray rail.
How necessary is the spray rail?

PS. Almost unequivocally, the old wooden Chris Crafts did not have spray rails the length of the chine but I have also noticed the bottom:side angle,
at the transom, is close to 90 degrees.

BTW. Will be powered with Merc50HP 4stroke. Mostly will be just river cruising and puttin' around. Am not a speed freek or toy tow'er.

Smith Brother

Post by Smith Brother » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:14 pm

Personally I feel it will add a NICE touch to the lines of the hull. It ain't no big deal installing, and as stated IMO will improve the looks.

You is the boss though.

Dale in Indy

kens

Post by kens » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:18 pm

I have never heard of a spray rail being detrimental. Some boats like mine, the spray rail is needed.
Most boats (planing hulls) run better with the bow wave cut off clean from the sides, so that no water climbs up the topsides. When on plane, the sides should be, basically, drying off.

Caber-Feidh

Post by Caber-Feidh » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:13 am

Personally I think they are hideous. They usually look like an afterthought, and date a design.

raymacke

Post by raymacke » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:15 pm

On my Cabin Skiff originally omitting the spray rails was a mistake. What I found would happen was when planning the water spray would follow right along the outside of the aft hulls sides and continue up above the shear. IF there was no wind tings weren't bad but even a slight breeze athwartship would blow the spray into the boat. I added spray rails made from 2" aluminum angle and the problem was solved. Chine flats are the real answer.

The Cabin Skiff has a hard chine and straight slab sides. The concave shape of Ski Tow may not react the same.

boat-bill-der

Post by boat-bill-der » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:47 pm

I didn't like the look of them either, so I left them off...

It's fine when its a nice warm day and you get a nice refreshing mist, but when it's cold and I don't want to get wet, I wish I had them...

Dwain the ski king

Post by Dwain the ski king » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:30 pm

DOOOOO the spray rail, ask Butch Batro about it on his Beautiful 23(24?) Tahoe...When you drop off a plane the water comes up right over the bow sides. It doesn't take much, a lip of about 3/4" by 1/2" is what I used on my Ski King and it works great, and looks good , too!!! Dwain, the Skiiiii Kiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnngggggg......

WoodBooger

Post by WoodBooger » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:08 pm

Thanks all, for your candid advice.
I decided to go with a spray rail. I used two 3/8" thick x 3/4" tall laminations
that will be full dimension from transom to form 4 then taper to zero" thick at the stem. Should give me the best of both looks and function.

I have been taking lot of pics of my build but just can't seem to get around to posting them. But I will!

Return to “Power Boats”