Rough and Ready - Monaco Build Update

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

BruceDow

Rough and Ready - Monaco Build Update

Post by BruceDow » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:08 pm

It's great to be back working on the boat.

Here is an update to our site with some shots of the current work on the deck. So far, I have the finishing boards (cover boards?) rough cut and dry-fitted.

As always, thanks to Mr. Hot Rod for pulling my photos from Photobucket and adding them to the Chelsea Coachworks site.

http://www.chelseacoachworks.com/boats/ ... ml#gunwale

I spent last night edge jointing all my decing strips and ceiling panelling strips.

I feel like I'm making some progress here!

[/url]
Last edited by BruceDow on Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:25 pm

Bruce,

It looks good! :D

I got three coats of epoxy on the deck this weekend.

I'm getting ready to spend BIG bucks on hardware. :cry:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Bruce T.

Post by Bruce T. » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:11 pm

Hi Bruce,

The boat is looking spectacular. This unseaonally warm weather in Ontario seems to have gotten you going.
The deck is so exciting since it is main visual focus of these boats. Keep up the good work and don't forget the video when it hits the water.

Bruce.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss_XhO4kIoY

billy c

Post by billy c » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:32 am

hi Bruce-
great progress!!!
nice mahog you got for the coverboards.... even the "van dam" swish on the joints!
got a weeks vacation so you are my inspiration for getting to the deck by the end of this week!
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:05 am

Great looking job Bruce.

That nose cap: is it smaller than the width of the actually wood that it will be mating too ?? And, how do you finish off the ends where the stainless drops off to wood at each tailing end ?? It looks as if there is a "bow" which is intentional but it does not taper off to a point which would mate cleanly against a flat surface... do they make end caps or something ??

It is really coming along, you have to be super excited. When do you plan on getting it wet ?? I just want to see that shifter thing work !!

:roll:

Steve

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:33 am

Leakcheck.

The wood behind the nose cap will be hand-sanded so that it the cap fits perfectly around the rounded point on the bow.

The ends of the nose cap will butt-end to the steel rub-rail which will run the length of the boat. It is at the stern where the open ends will be.

They do sell finished ends for this rub-rail ($$$). I am still deciding if I will buy those for the stern, or if I will try to fashion a "civilized" expsed end through some creative hammering, grinding, and polishing.

I will also have exposed rub-rail ends at the front and back of each of the bumper rails.
Bruce.

~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

Lewis Barrett

Post by Lewis Barrett » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:14 pm

Looking good. I know you are getting excited about getting to the end, I know I am. Well, sort of, I'm running just a little behind you. I just finished my sheer cap the same way you did. I've stopped all wood related work right now while I focus all my attention on getting my motor in and running. I spent all day Friday going to South Carolinia to pick-up my motor from the PCM Plant. Once my motor is done all I'll have left is the deckwork, but I just my be tempted to test run it before I'm finished.

David

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:13 pm

Update for Leakcheck.

1. I saw you finally posted a photo! It was not surprising that it included a BEvERage.

2. Inspired by your question earlier today, I spent a little time hammering the end of some rub-rail. With a little clean-up and polishing, it will make a fine exposed end of the strip.

3. On the shifter thingy... you remind me that I need to take that to the plating shop some time in the next few weeks.

4. For those who are watching, I changed the top link from Photobucket to my page on the Chelsea Coachworks website. (Thanks, Mr. Hot Rod)
Bruce.

Dow's Monaco Project

Dwain the ski king

Post by Dwain the ski king » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:48 pm

Bruce, I found some alum. half-oval for my rub rail for the Ski King, at a place in Arizona. It's 7/8" wide about 3/16" thick(solid) and has holes countersunk every 6". AND, it was only 21 bucks for a 12' piece. It looks good, too. (shiny)..... I put 2 more coats of Clear on my boat, put all the hardware and windshield back on and have almost all the uhpolstery done(it's Lipstick Red, 4" wide pleats) .....Gettin' ready for the trip to Sacremento. Hope to see Leakcheck there!!!!!

Dwain, the Ski King...........

Bob Perkins

Post by Bob Perkins » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:38 am

I like the joint on the covering boards. Nice touch.. Wish I saw that 2 years ago-- I'd have copied you!

Thanks for the pics
Regards,
Bob Perkins

All the Fun Stuff
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:44 am

Bruce,I can't see how your rub rails end,but if you radius them in towards the hull,& follow that radius with the metal rub rail& end that at the hull,you won't have an exposed end of the metal

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:57 am

UPS Pirate...

That is a great idea for me to think about.

At the front of the bumper rail, I probably could bend the rub-rail to but against the side of the boat. At the stern, even if I bent the rail around, I would still have exposed ends to deal with.
Bruce.

Dow's Monaco Project

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:02 pm

Bruce,I know the rail is already on,but if you could relieve the rail at the stern just enough(the thickness of the metal) you could bend it around to the hull & the metal would be flush with the transom.

tbagger

Post by tbagger » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:50 am

Dwain, a web-site or address for that alum rub rail would be greatly appreciated, sounds like a great price and something I could use on the Malahini. I would like to get a look at it, thanks
Tom

Dwain the ski king

Post by Dwain the ski king » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:52 am

The place is Futura Industries, in Arizona(??), but I found them with Google. The part # is 360116, and the size is 3/4" X 3/16" oval X 12' and the price was about 21 bucks. The stuff very soft and workable and is anodized. It bent around my bow with no problem. They won't sell to the general public, so I had to find a local dealer of cabinet hardware, and I bought it from them. Took 10 days to ship, came in a long cardboard tube, and I had to go pick it up at their warehouse in Portland....Dwain The Skiiiiii Kiiiiiiiinnnnngggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Power Boats”