If Only This Boat Was In Wood

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Jones

If Only This Boat Was In Wood

Post by Jones » Thu May 01, 2008 6:55 am

Maybe some of you... and I'm guessing lots of you... keep that "dream" boat in the back of your mind to build someday. When I started building the BoJest , it was done as a "practice" build to eventually build the Noyo trawler. I still like the Noyo and my preference is to work with wood, but I glanced upon the Eureka:

It's all of the Noyo plus a commanding increase in displacement, nearly double, and only with a 2' increase in beam & LOA. I talked with Glen about the Eureka being converted to a wood build but he was quick to point out that it would require too much deviation.

Still... a very worthy and capable vessel.
Avoid Haste.

gregggrundon

Post by gregggrundon » Mon May 12, 2008 6:24 am

You know Jones, welding... Might not be a bad thing to know (if you don't already, I mean) What the heck, if you love the boat, build it out of popsicle sticks if that's what it takes. :P
I can't mig weld, yet. But there's a boat out there I'd be willing to learn it for. JMHO.
:roll:
Gregg
Jolly Roger 30'(Extended)
Marshall Islands, R. M. I.

Jones

Post by Jones » Mon May 12, 2008 7:54 am

gregggrundon wrote:You know Jones, welding... Might not be a bad thing to know (if you don't already, I mean) What the heck, if you love the boat, build it out of popsicle sticks if that's what it takes. :P
I can't mig weld, yet. But there's a boat out there I'd be willing to learn it for. JMHO.
:roll:
Gregg
I like to weld... just haven't learned how to weld fiberglass :!:

:wink:

Since you've mentioned steel, some of the designs sure turn out nice, don't they? The "shrink wrap" process described in the Hankinson plans is interesting to view.
Avoid Haste.

gregggrundon

Post by gregggrundon » Thu May 15, 2008 1:13 am

Well I guess I mean... you just gotta learn to one-off...

Goood luck,

Gregg

Jones

Post by Jones » Thu May 15, 2008 7:55 am

gregggrundon wrote:Well I guess I mean... you just gotta learn to one-off...

Goood luck,

Gregg
I've been looking at just that, mostly with C'flex FG panels. At first glance, it looks as "involved" as making a boat from wood?
Avoid Haste.

gregggrundon

Post by gregggrundon » Thu May 15, 2008 11:10 pm

I've always flelt like these were the lesser of the evils. I know what wood is / does. I know the hows/ whys of fiberglass boats. It's the Iron/ Alumininum. that intimidate me.

Gregg

Return to “Power Boats”