Monaco bottom: 3 plys or 2 plys?

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

garrys

Monaco bottom: 3 plys or 2 plys?

Post by garrys » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:42 am

I'm trying to decide how many plywood plys to put on the bottom of my Monaco. The plans call for the bottom to be 5/8" thick and the sides 1/2" thick. I don't know whether this included or excludes the final 1/8" thick final mahogany plys.

I'm using 1/4" Okume plywood for the under layers. Two layers of plywood would yield 4/8" plus 1/8" for the Mahogany would give me a total of 5/8". Is this sufficient or should I go with 3 plywood layers on the bottom and two on the sides plus the Mahogany layer?

Also, should I complete both bottom and sides with one layer of plywood, and then go on to the second layer, or can I do all the bottom layers before going on to the sides?

Garry
Monaco, Tampa FL

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:48 am

I don't know about the Monaco. But, the Tahoe 19 called for 3 layers of 1/8 ply plus 1/8 veneer. Total 1/2". 2 layers of 1/8 plus 1/8 veneer topsides. Total 3/8".

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Lewis Barrett

Post by Lewis Barrett » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:41 am

On my Monaco I have a total of 5/8" on the bottom and a total of 1/2" on the top sides.

Bottom - 2 layers of 6mm plywood + 1 layer of 4mm plywood which is real close to 5/8".

Top sides - 2 layers of 4mm plywood + 4mm for my veneer which I milled myself on my tablesaw.

Don't go any thicker. The above worked well as long as you don't go too wide on your planks.

You could add a layer using smaller thicknesses, but it adds more work.

Hope this helps.

David

Rich Coey

Post by Rich Coey » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:32 am

Garry,

I used the same as David except the final layer was cut at 5mm, after all the sanding I'm sure it's down to at least 4mm. I planked the bottom then the sides then back to the bottom and so on. some have done it the other way and that's fine, I just liked the idea of the joints overlapping at the chine.

Rich

garrys

Post by garrys » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:24 pm

Rich, I know what you mean about "all the sanding". I think I've sanded off about $1,000 worth of wood in the process of fairing the frames, sheer, chine and plywood.

Based on responses I think I'll go with two layers of 6mm (1/4") plywood on the bottom plus I'll mill my Mahogany veneers to about 4mm and hopefully end up with about 5/8" net on the bottom. Since I've already bought all my plywood I guess I'll do the same for the sides, understanding that they will be a little thicker and heavier than ideal.

Thanks to all who responded!

Garry Stout
Monaco, Tampa FL
garrys@tampabay.rr.com

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:56 pm

By Jove! I think he's got it! :lol:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Lewis Barrett

Post by Lewis Barrett » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:48 am

Garry,

The 6mm pywood may be too thick for the compound curves at the bow and stern. Even at 3 to 4 inch wide you will get alot of lifting on the edges. I would not go any thicker than 4mm. As for all the plywood you already have, you can use it for the seats and floor boards. You may need to laminate, but it can be used. I also ordered more 6mm than I really needed thinking the same as you, but once I sawed a piece and tried to bend it over the frame I decided to get the 4mm. I thought I would never use all the 6mm, but guess what, it's all gone and I could actually use 1 more piece.

This is just my opinion and I'm sure people have used the 6mm everywhere, it just didn't work for me.

David

Return to “Power Boats”