Builder plate

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

doug.green

Builder plate

Post by doug.green »

In Australia boat builders need to provide a plate stating bouyancy, max number of people, max horsepower and max weight placed on the boat.
I am building a riveria. Has anyone got answers?
Thanks Doug

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Doug,

All of that information is in the description for the boat online except bouyancy--I suppose you could answer "yes". From my limited understanding of capacity plates (not a requirement in the US for home built boats--YET), guys just make them out of some type of metal and attach to their boat. Here's the Riviera specs:
http://www.glen-l.com/designs/inboard/riviera.html

Hope that helps...

basilkies

Post by basilkies »

Sounds like all you need is a square piece of stainless steel and one of those metal punch sets with ten numbers and the alphabet. Then you just smack them with a hammer and the metal is embedded with the symbol. They're not very expensive.

Actually, here in California we are supposed to have a plate with the assigned title number on it in the boat, but I keep putting it off after five years and being boarded by the Coast Gaurd twice. They don't seem to care.

As for the information on capacity and buoyancy, manufacturers have to do that here, but not home built boats. I wouldn't be surprised if you researched a bit more you may find you are exempt.

Brian Eager

Post by Brian Eager »

Here's a link to a US Coast Guard publication that has the dimension and formula information that will allow you to do the calculations to find max load, persons, HP etc. if you are inclined to do the math.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/education_ ... ilders.pdf

Interestingly, inboards have no max HP standards, so with the Riviera you should be home free on that score.
Noah was a first-time boatbuilder

RoyH

Post by RoyH »

Maybe Glen-L could make a plate with the Glen-L Logo and everyone could stamp in builders name, launching date, HIN-number, length aso.
I would order one of this plates to put on my boat, and I guess most bulders would. A new item in the web-shop
I'm just a starteled bunny in the headlights of life..

John K

Post by John K »

RoyH wrote:Maybe Glen-L could make a plate with the Glen-L Logo and everyone could stamp in builders name, launching date, HIN-number, length aso.
I would order one of this plates to put on my boat, and I guess most bulders would. A new item in the web-shop
I think this is a great suggestion - Gayle how about it?

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

So, what metal do you want? Stainless, bronze... size suggestions? We aim to please :)

John K

Post by John K »

I would think bronze - more classic look. Not sure about a size. Have to lay it out to see what would fit.

RoyH

Post by RoyH »

As you have to punch in your data the metal will have to be soft. I think SS will be to hard and the plate will deform.

For the classic look i think bronze with black paint, where the logo, text and data-fields are polished. Like on old cars and motorcycles. I

basilkies

Post by basilkies »

RoyH wrote:As you have to punch in your data the metal will have to be soft. I think SS will be to hard and the plate will deform.

For the classic look i think bronze with black paint, where the logo, text and data-fields are polished. Like on old cars and motorcycles. I
I haven't tried stainless, but my understanding is that it is tough, not hard, but it would be easy to test. I don't have the punches but when I get down to the garage I'll try punching it with something and see.

J Patroni

Post by J Patroni »

Stainless steel is not hard. It is a soft and gummy
metal.

No matter what type of metal is used, stamping
will stretch that material at the indent and
cause the plate to deform, no matter how lightly
you make the indentation.
It will be much better to engrave the letters and numbers
into the plate. There are certain chemicals that can be wiped
on then wiped off to darken the engraved letter.
I am sure there are trophy shops in almost every county
in the country that engrave for a living and can engrave
for you.

If Glen-L makes plates with their logo it may just be another
service they can provide by doing the engraving of your
information prior to sending the plate out. This could generate
more income for them. The engraving machines for these plates
are not that expensive.

If they make the plates with their logo I would buy one for my
boat without hesitation and be proud to use it.

What do you say Gayle? Does this sound like something your
company may be interested looking into?
If you don't build it now, You will regret it later! Already regreting it

Crackerbox Build
http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee255/jtpatronimfg/

Checkmate Restoration
http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee25 ... 0Starflite

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow »

Great Idea.

Even if Glen-L sub-contracted production, I would be happy to order a Custom Builder's Plate.

My only advice to Glen-L would be to look at the different international standards.

(Canada no longer requires a HIN on home-built boats, so my purchase would be purely decorative)
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

kens

Post by kens »

If the data plate was on digital (computer) format, then that file could be purchased online, or, downloaded online, and we could have a plate engraved at nearly any local trophy shop.

RoyH

Post by RoyH »

I like the idea of buying the plate ready with engraving directly from Glen-L as an option. If you choose to buy it with engraving, you can fill out a web-form when ordering to get tje lettering correct.

And a humble wish from us abroad. I know the flag is important to you guys in the US, but if the design could be a little more "international" without the stars and stripes as the main element in the design i think it would sell more overseas as well.

As an example... the Glen-L T-shirt design is great, if you live in the US. I will never buy one as it is now. This is not a political statement in any cind, I have nothing against americans. I just don't want go walk around with another country's flag on my back.

John K

Post by John K »

I too was thinking more a generic design without any flag. I love the US, but would like to see an emblem more like the chris crafts.

Just have the Glen L insignia, Model, and Date of production/registration.

I do not care to have the capacities, etc on it, but maybe that could be an option.

I also would prefer to just order it from Glen L. I will take a try at a plate for my boat and post it.

Return to “Power Boats”