Bass Boat

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

What state of building the Bass Boat are you in?

Completed Boat in the water works great!
33%
Boat in progress.
33%
Got the plans... and planning.
33%

Total votes: 3

brentvan

Bass Boat

Postby brentvan » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:48 am

Ok... I got the plans... Neverbuilt a boat before... Done a little finish woodworking in the past... Basically very adept with tools and more of a learn by doing type of guy...

Any thoughts or observations from those who have built this boat? I am going at this like a total beginner so ANY comments or suggestions would be MOST appreciated.

Looking forward to joining those members of a successful Glen-L build!!!
BRENTVAN
Living in a constant state of : Vous Ja De
"None of this stuff has ever happend to me before in my life!!!"

Raftermike

Postby Raftermike » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:22 am

My fist piece of advice is simple. Take it slow. I keep catching myself on this all the time. The truth is that this applies to any project or task which is not on the deadline. Take it easy and you will avoid many mistakes.
Second piece comes from years of carpentry work measure twice, measure again , then cut.
Third ... OK I better stop myself right here.

brentvan

Thanks Raftermike

Postby brentvan » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:37 am

Appreciate the feedback... I am planning or breaking out the plans this weekend to see how much of the beginning materials I can buy locally and afford.
BRENTVAN

Raftermike

Postby Raftermike » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:48 am

I wish I could do that. I have to wait for the weather to worm up before I can start working on my bioat again. I'm at the point of coating glass with poxy. And then I will be painting. Thank god there is a trous season to keep my mind on something else.

brentvan

I hear you on the weather...

Postby brentvan » Mon May 02, 2005 12:23 pm

It was sparce flakes of snow this weekend for me Mike... I got roped into installing a new water heater for my sister-in-law... I now need to find a supplier for framing wood and decide what type to use... I am MAJOR confused on picking the frame wood... I was hoping to use one of the local big box stores... Lowes, Menards or the soon to come Home Depot, but the discussion on the site makes me think these may not viable choices for a supplier? What are your thoughts on framing lumber selection?
BRENTVAN

Raftermike

Postby Raftermike » Tue May 03, 2005 5:40 am

Ha funny you said snow.
Last Sunday I was wading in waist deep 34 degree water in the middle of snow squal. My hand were so numb that I had problems baiting the hooks... Park Ranger stoped by and asked if I was OK. My answer : "No, but I'm having a blast..." But I digress.
As far as can tell you will not get anything good from the big stores when it comes to lumber. Smaller lumber yards usually have better service, and prices can be even better on custom order materials and that s what you will have to get. White pine sonld in Home Depot etc is too soft and will rot very fast. Oak sold there is red oak and it will rot too. Other spiecies are way too expensive and hard to pick quality material.

Go to your local lumber yard and asked for pricing on several different types of wood: white oak, southern yellow pine, sitka spruce, mahogany etc. You will also need to find out what kind of sizes they can get.

They tell you to get pricing by the footboard but I found out that no local supplier goes by that. Most popular size is 1x8. Just make sure that you ask for kiln dried material. Select is best grade and on special orders like that is really the only option.

I got a load of SYP in 16' lenghts and it's working out perfect fo far.

brentvan

Wood choice

Postby brentvan » Fri May 06, 2005 2:57 pm

Looks like SYP is the choice... I called one smaller local lumber yard and they said they stock some of it, forgot to ask about grade and kiln dry, but will be looking at that when I go... hope they are there tomorrow :-) I figure if what they have is not the right stuff we can have a serious talk about the special order.

Thanks for all the tips Mike.. been a lifesaver :-)
BRENTVAN

leakcheck

Postby leakcheck » Fri May 06, 2005 6:27 pm

take it slow...but not toooo slow.

That has been my problem. I have way too many things on my plate. I have two boats underway...havent finished the first and have already started a second (might be a mistake)...bought a house and currently adding full dormer, new roof, new siding, new windows, new heating and air systems, new septic ..well you get the idea....

So, my boat lies on its side in the basement...the exact same position for two years now...I really have to set aside special time to just work on it..even if it is a simple hour a week....

So..take your time..but dont take toooo much time.

Steve

brentvan

Motivation

Postby brentvan » Sat May 07, 2005 9:12 am

I think the accounting & the mom's van sitting in the driveway departments may have a bit of input toward the speed of completion on this project... but my plan is to work on it at least a few hours a week...

Having never attempted a project of this magnitude before it is really hard for me to visualize a realistic time line for the project, my current plan is just take it steady and do it right.. Oh yeah and bug the heck out of the guys from the Glen-L site for tips and guidence!!!
BRENTVAN

Return to “Power Boats”