Richies Rebel build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

upspirate

Re: Richies Rebel build

Post by upspirate » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:32 am

If you use galvanized fasteners,make sure they are hot dipped
Taken from Glen-L newsletter#32:

Galvanized is a lower cost alternative, but you must be careful not to nick or wear through the zinc coating or the steel will corrode anyway. With carriage bolts, the lack of an ability to "trim to fit" is a problem. It is very convenient to be able to buy just a few sizes of bolts and then cut them down to length as needed rather than stocking the many sizes needed, and not having this option is the major downfall of galvanized.

When referring to galvanized, this generally means hot dipped (rough). The galvanized "deck screws" (smooth and shiny) you find at the home center don't count. I recently did some maintenance work on a dock which had been assembled with galvanized deck screws and the majority of them snapped off . Those that did come out were severely rusted and necked down. This is in the upper Midwest with fresh water and cold winters. In a more severe climate (for rusting anyway) I would expect that the dock's deck planks would have lifted right off with little effort.

Also,you are talking building materials,not building practices....you need to follow the proper practices.....hair splitting I know,but....

richardball

Post by richardball » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:40 am

upspirate wrote: Also,you are talking building materials,not building practices....you need to follow the proper practices.....hair splitting I know,but....
Thanks pirate and edited the original post
The presimist may be proven right but the optimist will allways have a better journey

richardball

Post by richardball » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:15 am

THE BUILD IS BACK ON YIPPPPPPPPPE.
After a nice christmas presant of the taxman i can no restart building my rebal.
I had to stop due to finances but now iam debt free and can due the build the way i wanted to origanly to that end i have just orderd £280 of sepele whitch is 1 x 9 inches and just over 50 board foot.
The presimist may be proven right but the optimist will allways have a better journey

Z_Wood

Post by Z_Wood » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:13 am

Hey Richie

I went with a 90HP... got about 48mph. Boat handles it no problem. I just went ahead and beefed up the transom anyways!

A 40 would be too slow.. at least for my liking!

download/file.php?id=9694&mode=view

Good Luck.

richardball

Post by richardball » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:48 pm

Thanks Z_Wood. The timber arrived safe and sound to day. It came on the back of an 18 wheeler all cor 5 bits 1x9 inch x10 foot????????????. Will have to take photos of the build and post em up ere.

richardball

Post by richardball » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:34 am

Today i have been tracing out the frame members onto 1/4" ext ply in order to nest cut and trim the parts
Attachments
20130126_120410.jpg

richardball

Post by richardball » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:45 am

And cut them out using my jig saw. I need to me do the side member for frame 5 as i messed it up.
Attachments
20130126_152627.jpg

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:56 am

Looks like a great start!
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

richardball

Post by richardball » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:35 am

Its going to be slow as i dont want to mess up:-P:-P:-P:-P:-P
But the longer i take the more i can save for an engine.

richardball

Post by richardball » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:29 pm

Just some of the frame members cut slightly oversize to allow for finish cutting on the router table with bearing guided flush trim cutter
Attachments
20130410_202251.jpg

Return to “Power Boats”