Glen-L.com

The Boatbuilder Connection
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:29 am 

Well I took the plunge and ordered the plans and temples for the Atlantic skiff today! I’m very excited and quite nervous all the same time. On one hand I think I can knock this thing out in 6 to 8 months, on the other hand I think I might not have a clue what I just jumped into. But I have set a goal to finish this boat by 5/22/10. That’s not a lot of time for a project this big, but I will be getting married a month after that, our reception is going to be on the lake and it would be nice to cruse my beautiful bride away in my dream boat. I have never built a boat before, but I do have carpentry experience. I studied carpentry in high school and in collage, after collage I did carpentry until I went back to school to study mechanical engineering. So I have a little bit of confidence under my belt, but there is always room for concern. I wish someone else has built this same exact boat so I could see how things panned out, but there are a lot of good builds on this site to give me ideas and inspiration. I will keep yall updated every step of the way. I guess now I need to go home and prep my shop for this boat building voyage. I know ill have plenty of questions along the way, so I hope yall don’t mind helping me out. :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:36 am 
Glad you made the jump.

We are looking forward to your progress....post pics and ask questions.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:16 pm 

How much time can you devote to the project? If you can go full time, then yeah, you can finish it, but if you're like me and have a job requireing overtime at work, then it will get slowed down.
My boat is very similar to Atlantic Skiff, and I love it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:54 am 

I only work 5 to 10 hours a week over time, but I rarely work on the weekends. If I don’t get it finished on by that date its no biggie. Do you have a link to your build? I’ve been very interested in seeing it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:53 pm 

yeah, I think this is the link:
http://www.glen-l.com/picboards/picboard9/pic503a.html

Mine is Double Eagle built without the cabin, and straight inboard power; I lengthend it 10%.

Atlantic Skiff is 6" wider and beefier, and has strip planked topsides vs mine is plywood topsides.
Atlantic Skiff will have sweeter lines with the carolina bow. The basic build of frames, keel, battens, etc. will all be similar to mine or various other builds on this site.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:40 pm 

Breeze

It is not as hard as people think! Just build it!

It is one step at a time!

Welcome! Everyone will Help! And, anybody close to you may come to help!

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:53 am 

Thanks, guys! Wow ken, I looked at your build and it shot my excitement to a whole new level. Your boat is awesome! :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:42 pm 

Thanks.
When you gonna send pics of your build? I am anxious to see pics of a Atlantic Skiff. That plan was my next choice when I purchased mine anyway.
I do have study plans for that, I used them for my own helm station.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:34 pm 

Well I got my plans today and im feeling pretty stupid…. I do remember reading the boat was strip planked, but I thought it was just talking about the top, not the sides… I was hoping I could build this thing out of plywood. Dang it, that’s what you get for not knowing the right boat terminology. I guess this is just a small set back, probably more mentally than anything.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:40 pm 

Actually the website is showing double diagonal hull, a fairly common method. It states that the topsides can be built strip planked. The boat once you get the jig setup is really easy to build.

Quote:
Build in
Wood framed double diagonal planked
(strip planked topsides optional)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:42 am 

The thing I’m worried about with double diagonal planking is getting a smooth finish out of it. I’ll be sanding on the hull for a month straight to smooth that baby out. It’s a lot of hard work, but once I get done I know it will be well worth it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:38 am 

In the early goings when you are gluing up the first layer, place temporary gluing clamps across the seam lines, say a couple of them, until the glue dries at both the keel area and the chines. Its also possible that you have enough battens in the bottom that this will not be needed. I don't have the plans or have not seen them at all. Get the first layer shaped to suit before doing the second layer. I also do sections, doubling up as I go. Its possible that I have some shots of what I am talking about. But it will be in the evening before I can seek them out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:08 am 

Thanks. I have been searching over the web to see double diagonal planking builds. I haven’t had much luck on finding a good in-depth site or build yet. When I do ill post a link so that others will be able to see the steps it takes. My goal is to build this boat, and have it well documented of how it was done to encourage others to build there dream boats. That’s just one of the great things about posting your build on a forum. If yall see some good info on double diagonal planking post the links!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:31 am 

Bill E did a pretty good job documenting his.

http://glen-l.com/designs/hankinson/edmundson/edmundson-frame.html

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:26 pm 

I think I would opt for the strip plank method. That seems to be a whole lot less sanding to get final finish.