Glen-L.com

The Boatbuilder Connection
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:43 am 

Ive been paying particularly close attention to some double planked builds and I noticed they all seem to use staples. But what staple gun do they use? Do they use a heavy duty hand stapler or a pneumatic stapler? Sorry I haven’t started yet, I’m a bit nervous how to go about tracing the templates onto the wood. I thought I had it down pat, but now its like I totally lost track of how to do it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:25 pm 

Since you got a ways to go to get to planking, I would concentrate on getting the frames all built and on the setup form. Here is a link to the way I did it:
http://www.glen-l.com/weblettr/weblette ... l#shoptalk

Since you got 2 different options for planking, then I wouldnt worry much about planking at this point. After all, by the time you get all the frames setup, you will have plenty time to decide on your planking. (I still think strip-plank is the way to go)

When you gonna send us pics of your frames? :D :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:11 am 

I'm looking forward to seeing the shape of this hull. I'm on the fence between purchasing these plans, the 22' LaPaz CC, or another model.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:26 am 

Well ive started on the frames, or at least the first one. The only trouble I seem to be having right now is tracking down my skill saw. I have looked every where. I must have let someone borrow it. I should have some pictures posted by as soon as this weekend. Maybe sooner. :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:46 pm 

I can't tell from the description or photo ... Is the bottom skeg of the Atlantic Skiff the same as this boat?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:11 am 

There is two skeg versions drawn on that pic. The deep skeg is very similar to the pic you asked about.
There is also a option for a shallow skeg, and its outline can be seen in the drawing, kinda like a outboard skeg would be.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:06 am 

kens wrote:
There is two skeg versions drawn on that pic. The deep skeg is very similar to the pic you asked about.
There is also a option for a shallow skeg, and its outline can be seen in the drawing, kinda like a outboard skeg would be.

Ken,

Even if a builder goes with the shallow skeg version, do you think that will create problems with trailer clearance? Will a custom trailer be required for this Atlantic Skiff?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:06 pm 
You will have to have the trailer set up for an inboard just like the Shamrock boats.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:45 pm 

upspirate wrote:
You will have to have the trailer set up for an inboard just like the Shamrock boats.

Sort of..........there is nothing 'inboard' nor special about my trailer. I bought mine from a custom trailer builder, and, since he basically custom builds each trailer, I paid no extra charge to fit my boat. I gave him a few dimentions and he assembled my trailer at his shop and dropped it off in my backyard. Yes, I paid for delivery. No, I did not pay any extra for a inboard trailer.
I did however ask for high bunks. The height of the bunks is enough to get prop clearance on the trailer, and with a 25' boat, the trailer is deep enough down the ramp to launch the boat.
Nothing special about it.
As far as the skeg in the pics, I dont know, I dont have a skeg at all. I think it can be worked out though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:21 pm 

From an aesthetics standpoint, I'm not a fan of that deep skeg. I hope Breeze builds his with the shallow skeg option. I really would like to see what that looks like in an actual build, rather than a drawing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:03 pm 

I was hoping I could go with no skeg, in the whole grand skeem of things is that such a big deal? But if I did do one it would be the shallow skeg.
i have all the prints on the shop wall to keep me from getting them dirty, and torn.
I picked up one of those rolls of plastic folks put down when they are painting in a room to copy my templates on. Im not sure if this is the best way, but it’s a way.
I have finished the first frame, only 10 more to go. I chose to use yellow pine due to price and availability. I would have loved to build it out of mahogany but its my first boat, and im planning on building more.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:01 am 

The skeg plays a role in the rigging and is required in that style of a setup when you choose that particular strut thats shown. You can install a free floating strut, either a vee style strut or a single leg strut and reduce the amount of strut needed. I think Bob Perkins has a shot of his on his building site.

Keep in mind the deep skeg protects the running gear and does double duty on trailer applications keeping the boat secure, supporting and raises the boat up enough that your running gear is not dragging tail off the end of it either in certain trailer designs.

really need to also begin to look around at different trailer manufacturers and dealers. This boat will require a trailer that may need to be custom made for you too. When talking to them and not some guy selling trailers in most cases, see if the guys are familiar with the Shamrock boats which are simular in shape on the bottom. If you need more info let me know and I can root out some well known names for you.

Oh the deep skeg also requires a deeper ramp for launching too while on a trailer. In SOuth Carolina the tides are such that the ramps are indeed steep and slippery on the low tides but works grand on the high tides too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:46 pm 

Breeze1 wrote:
"I was hoping I could go with no skeg, in the whole grand skeem of things is that such a big deal? But if I did do one it would be the shallow skeg."

Yeah you can do that. I did same thing to Double Eagle, I mounted a single leg cruiser strut; no skeg at all. If I ever do it again, I would though use the shallow skeg as per your drawings. The big advantage to this little skeg would be single screw backing up. It will help a lot.
I do not like the full deep skeg as it makes the boat turn flat like it is on rails or sumptin.
If you delete the skeg completely, no special trailer required.
Here is a pic of my setup, cruiser strut, no skeg, on a standard trailer.

I made the keel wider in the aft sections to accept the strut backing plate, rudder post, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:41 pm 

Ive had this other rib done for a few weeks. Every time I get a chance to work on the boat something comes up or either my truck breaks down. Ahh life! :?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:37 pm 

I finished rib # 9 tonight.