Glen-L.com

The Boatbuilder Connection
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:49 pm 

I was planning to install a chevy 350ci engine into this boat, but after looking at kens build I am thinking of using his same set up. We have had a few boats that had the GM 181ci engine in it and they have had plenty of power. I believe they are ratted at 130hp or 140hp. Hey Kens how does yours do, any regrets with your engine selection?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:00 pm 

No regrests on mine. But, Atlantic Skiff is heavier and beamier than Double Eagle. The 181c.i. in Atl Skiff would be asking for a lot.
I can get 30 mph empty on a good day.
I think 350 c.i. in Atl Skiff would be sweet.
Hopefully there is some video of me runnin at the Gathering, and you can see how it goes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:11 am 

Well I haven’t made much progress on the boat in a while, but I am to the point where I need to start thinking about my drive train. Forgive me for my ignorance but the beams thick beams that hold the motor, not sure what they are called because I haven’t looked at the plans in a few days. But I need to figure out what engine I’m planning on running to set those beams the proper distance apart. Right now I’m thinking of a 3.0L gm motor, or I have a old ford truck with the 300ci straight 6 in it. I know there use to be a company that had marinised the 300, but finding the water exhaust manifolds are like pulling teeth. Any help from you guys would be much appreciated! Also Kens I know you used the gm 181, what did you set those beams at CL to CL?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:13 am 

BREEZE1

On my Tahoe the motor stringers were set 26" apart face to face. My engine mounts are actually about 3 1/2" less than that. One of the engines I looked into would have been right on the money.

But, you can always make it less. It would much more trouble to go wider.

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:33 pm 

Standard inboard engine mounts would use the stringers at 26" inside dimension. That leaves right space for 3" beds on each side. If stringers are 26" inside dimension then you can mount any inboard engine from a little sailboat motor on up to a turboed diesel, or, all the Chevys & Fords in between.
I havent seen manifolds for the Ford straight6, but the 250 Chevy manifolds are readily available.
BTW, if you could build a 292 Chevy straight-6 then that could be sweet in your boat. 292 uses same manifold as the 250.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:31 pm 

I wonder how Breeze is making out on this build ... Has anyone talked to him lately?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:47 pm 

I have PM'ed BREEZE1 about two months ago and he hasn't picked up the PM yet. Does anyone know how to get in contact with him??? I'm curious on how his build is going...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:51 am 

Hey Pirates! I apologize for my absence. I got married a few months ago and somehow that changes priorities. But I am still pursuing finishing this boat. It's just taking me a little bit to figure out this marriage thing so I can get my feet back on the ground. I've got some PM's from folks asking questions, if this is too much of an undertaking for a first time builder, and others asking about the progress. Well I don't think it's too much, but for me at the time in my life it is. That's why i put it on hold for a little while. I haven't made any progress on it, but the urge is still there. I did buy a 21' Newport daysailor, I have really enjoyed the sport and art of sailing. I just took it out of the water last week, I'm going to re-paint it soon. After that I'll resume the skiff project. Sailing is fun, but my heart is in fishing. I need to get this skiff done so I can get to catching the big ones.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:50 am 

BREEZE1

:lol: You just got married. :wink: Well that explains a lot!

You need to look up the "Things To Do with 15 Minutes" topic in Miscellaneous. :lol: You're going to need it :!:

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:18 pm 

Yeah Breeze I sent you a few PMs a while back. I'm on the fence here and this is the girl I'm gunna build when I do decide to make the plunge. I have a young'n on the way so I'm sure it's gunna be a ways down the road. The great news is that last year I talked the OL into buying the donar boat. ;-) She don't know that, hehehe but I scored a nice 24' Mastercraft (I know I know, everyone else done heard this story lol but Breeze ain't) She's got a 454 BB Chevy in'er and I reckon that would be about the right power fer the Atlantic skiff. I have the study plans already and I wanna build a model and see how I do. I'm kinda like you though, recently married, and now a young'n on the way.... Oh well, it'll happen! ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:18 pm 

Psychobilly that’s great! Ha ha, when ever she figures it out you can use every women’s key phrase “Look how much money I saved!” That 454 should move the skiff on down the pond. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:59 am 

Does anyone want to buy my ribs? I will give you the plans. Just send me a pm. I like cash, silver, or gold!
I want to build this boat, but I can't ever find time. I did find a great deal on a 18' cc. I'm doing a light restoration on it now.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:56 pm 

Breeze, PM sent