Type of Ski King Motor

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

jbethel33

Type of Ski King Motor

Postby jbethel33 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:27 pm

Since the motor in the ski king is located in the center does it require a special type of motor or could basically and inboard motor from 45 to 100 hp be used.

Thanks

jbethel33

Re: Type of Ski King Motor

Postby jbethel33 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:41 am

Anybody think one of these would fit well?

http://www.gm.com/experience/technology ... Marine.pdf

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:26 am

Looks like a good choice to me. The weight is fairly low. This helps in the weight/hp ratio. When this boat was designed a 100hp engine would probably weighed twice as much.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:36 am

Looks like a neat engine....wonder what trans it will bolt to,and where to get exhaust manifolds.

capnmike

Postby capnmike » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:20 am

jbethel33 wrote:Anybody think one of these would fit well?

http://www.gm.com/experience/technology ... Marine.pdf

Good luck on finding that motor.
I've called 4 Chevy dealerships in the last week and no one can find it.
They can only see the 2.2L from last year.
Or the 3.0L that they still sell this year and Ken has in his Double Eagle.
I was told if I can get a part number for it they can order it.
But I can't find a P/N anywhere!

Mike.

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:39 am

upspirate wrote:....wonder what trans it will bolt to......

Isn't that one of the cool things that Chevrolet has done? All the bolt patterns are the same, aren't they?
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:11 am

Dave Grason wrote:
upspirate wrote:....wonder what trans it will bolt to......

Isn't that one of the cool things that Chevrolet has done? All the bolt patterns are the same, aren't they?

Don't know...it's probably a FWD motor of some sort....not all those have the same as RWD motors do they?

I think they had to make some sort of adapter to use the Quad 4 as a RWD in street rod applications.

Dwain the ski king

Postby Dwain the ski king » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:05 pm

I wouldn't use ANY motor that was cast or assembled in Mex...As a member of Inliners International (a club dedicated to inline engines) we have had a lot of trouble with Mex. castings( blocks and heads)....Besides that motor doesn't have enough power/torque for a Ski King. It would be good enough for about 35 mph...Which is OK, but, I want to go faster...Mine goes 48 on 230 hp which is about right....Stick with the 140hp Mercruiser or the 231 buick V6, which by the way was used by a I/O manufactorer, and they are a helluva lot cheaper. It would get pretty close to 200 hp and is pretty light...Look at how fast Kens boat is with the 140, and it's a heavy boat....The 283-35- is a good motor, but is a tight squeeze, as you can see in my build(Customers photos).....My Nickels worth..Dwain, The Ski King.......

jbethel33

Postby jbethel33 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:02 pm

Isnt the max on the ski king about 100 hp.

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:42 pm

Not if you want to have some REAL fun! I can speak from experience having ridden all afternoon in Dwain's Ski King at the Gathering this year. Man, WHAT A RIDE!! It's hard to describe how much fun it is to have your internal organs pushed back against your rib cage everytime Dwain punches the throttle! Once you ride in a boat like that, you'll never be able to go back. I just wanted to just take my Zip home and throw rocks at it. The old 40 horse Evinrude and I just had a lover's breakup. I have GOT to get me one of those!
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

kens

Postby kens » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:59 pm

You would have to go thru a marine dealer to get one. I would put it in a Tiny Mite, not the SkiKing.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Caber-Feidh

Postby Caber-Feidh » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:15 pm

They seem to be decent engines, originally were the Isuzu X-tech four, and made in Japan and Brazil. I share Dwain's skepticism of "Henchos". The engine design seems right on line, but the QC of the Hencho En Mexico is so bad it makes Mahendra, and China Diesel look precision. Holes not bored in the centers of bosses, crooked lines where cores met, rough, flash covered castings.

Mercury is stuffing that 1600 in front of their Vazer outdrive, and trying to gear it to turn a 15" screw. Belt timed, nut & bolt tappets, and plastic resin heat exchanger... ugh, not for me. It's a bit like "Crosley meets Mattel" (and if you don't know what a crosley is you are lucky... if you do, you gotta be old)
Some plan to stroll through Saint Peter's Gates, I plan to go through them at 150mph... backwards... in a screaming ball of flame, with a glimmer belt wrapped around my head, and a NOx button in my hand.

Dwain the ski king

Postby Dwain the ski king » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:49 pm

Yeah, older'n dirt...I had a Crosley in high school...Everyone kept "reparking" it for me...The Fageol outboard was a 750cc Crosley motor later 850 cc(55 hp)and ran pretty well, but was heavy...Chrysler later bought it for a short time...Has since disappeared..I still say the best powered for the Ski King is the 140 hp Merc. or the 231 V6 Buick motor...Both are fairly light and make good power...Mine is hotroded a little but very manageable, and a Helluva lot of fun...B-T-W 2700# on the trlr...Would guess the trlr weighs about 800#. Glen -L says the hull should weigh 750# and Chris-Craft says the motor complete should weigh 712#, ad seats, marine gear and fittings for the other 500 or so #.......Hmmmmm Let's see, what was the question...Ah yes, motor to use for the Ski King, I've said my piece on that AND, a small block Chevy WILL FIT!!!!!!!!Dwain, The SKIIIIIIII KINNNNNNGGGGGGG..........

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:46 pm

And of course, how hard you lean back on the seat somehow effects the idle. .....hmmmm. :lol:

You'll have to explain that one to everyone, Dwain. :)

GregSkiKing

Postby GregSkiKing » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:19 am

Dwayne good to hear your opinion on the ski king plant. I am building one at the moment. Will have some photos in a week or 2.
I managed to get hold of a brand new (from the engine builders) 3.8L (231) Holden (GM Australia) V6 with a marine conversion and velvet drive for A$1500. The guy had had it in his shed for 8-10 yrs without ever installing it or even removing any of the manifold nad throttle body seals from the factory.
Very excited by the deal and am more chuffed to hear that you recommend it as an ideal powerplant.
I had figured as much myself and the idea of fuel injection instead of carbs has a lot of appeal.
Can't wait to get it on the water and give it a blast. Greg

Return to “Power Boats”