Monte Carlo update

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

billy c

Re: Monte Carlo update

Postby billy c » Sat May 22, 2010 1:58 pm

looking good John. thanks for the pictures! kinda puts finality to any more fiddling with that wood surface.
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Sat May 22, 2010 6:22 pm

Thanks for the support guys. today the sides have been fiberglassed. Transom to go. Pictures to follow.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Sat May 22, 2010 7:32 pm

My goodness, you are gathering some steam. Perhaps you will make the G4 afterall.

As Billy said, you now have an excuse to not resand the hull. So you are up on me on that. :lol:
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sun May 23, 2010 3:10 pm

Great pics of the bottom fiberglass John. A shame thats going to be under water, it looks so good. Im sure the sides will look just as good or better though!

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Sun May 23, 2010 7:03 pm

Here are the pics for the sides.. And the sanding just keeps on coming. I think the boat grows a foot each time it gets sanded. I'm feeling much better about the transtion point on the hull where I had to join two pieces of fiberglass. After the next two layers of epoxy any sign of it should be gone. I ordered the bottom primer and p;aint. that stuff is expensive. I got the interprotect for the primer and red bottom paint. My wife didnt like the green and we all know we have to keep the wife happy. I have to work the next couple of days so no boat work for a couple of days.
Attachments
photo 9.jpg
photo 8.jpg
photo 7.jpg
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Sun May 23, 2010 7:05 pm

Now that is pretty. Looking great. Can already start seeing the lines of the boat.
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Sun May 23, 2010 7:32 pm

Be carefull with the Interprotect in closed shops. Respirator required. Price wise, its by far cheaper than most two part paint primers too, and highbuild with the freedom to recoat without sanding too. Solvent resistant rollers, thin coat with a short nap roller to start with and then recoat with another coat in some cases with the medium nap roller.
Thats still the greatest stuff for sealing and priming the bottoms and you will truely appreciate it way down the road too with its durability. Great work!

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Mon May 24, 2010 2:39 am

All the reports on the interprotect state that it is potent stuff. I am considering a full face respirator.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:47 pm

OK I need some advise. I looked at Billy C's pictures of turning his hull and Dave Lotts pictures and decided I could do this. I bought some straps and attached them to the purlins in my roof. I slung them around the hull and quickly decided I was going to bring the roof down. the sky hook idea isnt going to work so I'm looking at other ideas. I figure my hull weighs about 1000 lbs right now. I have several engine hoists but I'm not sure how that would work. One idea proposed to me was to drill a hole in the bow and jack that point up and rotate around the stern but I dont really want a hole in the bow. I'm back in my hangar and have talked one of the other plane owners in letting me move his plane to a different hangar for a couple of days so I need to move quickly. Sorry but no pictures tonight. I was so frustrated I just went home.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:56 pm

Can you provide a full size shot of the boat in its present form? I have rolled boats with two cherry pickers and a line fed through a big wheel connected to the cherry picker hook and secured around the bulk of the jigged hull. If you use a spreader made of a 2z4 with notches, this keeps any stress of the rails too, if you do not have a frame where you need one in the hull. If you need a shot, I maybe able to find on. At the transom if you plan on using tow eyes too, go ahead and install them without bedding and also pick the boat up at one transom corner, which is a bit tricky when you get it up half way, but its all doable.

billy c

Postby billy c » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:03 pm

John-
here is a picture of Dick William's Belle Isle turn. I know it will take a little more prep but it worked.
also on mine the tractor bucket was able to lift the bow of mine so took half the weight of the boat off the ceiling joists
maybe that or forklift would give you similar results
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:17 pm

Dang - Dick's hull looks gorgeous
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Mr Hot Rod

Postby Mr Hot Rod » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:29 pm

... Two more righting cradles built by crafty builders :

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.boats.chelseacoachworks.com

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:39 pm

Thanks for the pics. I will post some of mine tomorrow. I am thinkg that a built up rolling form will be the answer.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Brian Eager

Postby Brian Eager » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:40 pm

One big advantage to rolling the hull with a built up cradle: sudden strap failure does not result in hull accelerating toward the earth.

Even so, have multiple restraints in place to control the turn. As they get past 90 degrees, gravity seems to increase.
Noah was a first-time boatbuilder

Return to “Power Boats”